MP-JWT Aug 11 Call Agenda

sst...@redhat.com

Aug 10, 2017, 4:10:54 PM8/10/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
We have a full agenda with a lot to discuss due to the large number of changes that have(or will have) gone into one repo or another.
Aug 11, 14:00 GMT
https://bluejeans.com/2363391609 Minutes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/13nIVDJ6uxen7d57rxyARX8-vqsf3HTvC6hHnhitGZ0w/edit?usp=sharing

Agenda:

Review the proposed API changes:

  • JWTPrincipal updates

  • @LoginConfig introduction

  • JWTClaimType introduction

Review the TCK status:

  • Updated tokens-se and container profiles control the scope of tests and integrate with a container under test via a provided container tck harness artifact

  • Progress with verifying a tck harness artifact other than wildfly-swarm

  • Current scope of tests

  • Need for a container-optional profile that includes tests for the recommended optional spec behaviors

Review the specification status:

  • Updates for CDI requirements around injection of JWTPrincipal

  • Base set of required container API integration is limited to JAX-RS

  • Other container API integration moved to a recommended but optional section

David Blevins

Aug 10, 2017, 6:29:13 PM8/10/17
to microp...@googlegroups.com
The agenda is view only — would be great to be able to add an item.

I’d like to make sure the CDI injection of Claims makes it on the list.

sst...@redhat.com

Aug 10, 2017, 6:39:08 PM8/10/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
It should be editable now, but I have added that item.

sst...@redhat.com

Aug 11, 2017, 11:33:07 AM8/11/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile

Attendees:

Scott Stark,

Michael Chen,

Chunlong Liang,

David Belvins

Alasdair Nottingham

We went through the current API proposals and decided on updating the names of the types under the org.eclipse.microprofile.jwt package to the following:

JWTClaim -> Claim

JWTClaimPrincipal -> ClaimValue

JWTClaimType -> Claims

JWTPrincpal -> JsonWebToken

With both ClaimValue and JsonWebToken implementing the java.security.Principal interface.

There was a desire to change the package of the LoginConfig annotation to something other than org.eclipse.microprofile.annotation. (We could just move this to the org.eclipse.microprofile.jwt package for 1.0) David pointed out that for @RequestScoped information like JWT claims, we cannot directly inject to a String, so the current example usage will be updated to inject the ClaimValue.

In terms of the value types returned from the JsonWebToken#getClaim(String) method, Alasdair described the desire to have a clear mapping from the JSON type to the returned type, even for private claims. In order to validate this, the TCK will include a JWT that includes a claim not covered in the Claims enum set, for every JSON-B data type and validate that the returned type is consistent with the JSON-B mapping.

There was a discussion around the usage of the LoginConfig annotation on the JAX-RS Application object, and David brought up that you can have multiple JAX-RS Applications in a deployment archive. The question this raised is what happens if there are multiple LoginConfig annotations on these. Scott argued that the deployment archive should be treated as a logical deployment unit with a single authentication mechanism and realm. Alasdair said you could deal with this via the equivalent of a servlet filter and handle authentication based on the application paths. There were concerns about what impacts this might have on the underlying container implementation. It was decided that the TCK would only test one secured root context path with an associated LoginConfig in a given application under test, and the implementation under test would have to support a way of configuring the authentication mechanism for that path. We would not explicitly address the handling of multiple LoginConfig annotations in a given deployment unit.

We ended the call there due to time with the action item to circulate the current API changes and make a push to finalize the API by next Friday’s call. There is a need to finalize the API by that point in order to support a 1.2 release by JavaOne. We talked about needing to get a final API out for feedback and that we could introduce significant changes in a 1.1 release if needed.

Scott said he would be actively driving the finalization of the API and specification in the forums the following week to try to meet that goal.

sst...@redhat.com

Aug 11, 2017, 11:40:37 AM8/11/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
The agreed upon name changes have been pushed to this staging repository for review: