[ARCH] [VOTE] Definition of "MP Compatibility"

Ken Finnigan

Apr 2, 2020, 2:18:11 PM4/2/20
to MicroProfile
MicroProfile compatibility is defined as a runtime passing all MicroProfile specification TCKs in the platform release.

Rules:

Rudy De Busscher

Apr 3, 2020, 1:35:05 AM4/3/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Rudy De Busscher. Against

Martin Stefanko

Apr 3, 2020, 2:42:04 AM4/3/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Martin Stefanko. For

Phillip Kruger

Apr 3, 2020, 2:47:03 AM4/3/20
to MicroProfile
Phillip Kruger. For

Steve Millidge

Apr 3, 2020, 3:36:09 AM4/3/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Steve Millidge: Against

Mark Little

Apr 3, 2020, 3:57:27 AM4/3/20
to 'Emily Jiang' via Eclipse MicroProfile
Mark Little. For.

Roberto Cortez

Apr 3, 2020, 4:55:00 AM4/3/20
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Roberto Cortez. For

Jan Martiska

Apr 3, 2020, 5:47:07 AM4/3/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Jan Martiska. For

Sergey Beryozkin

Apr 3, 2020, 8:58:25 AM4/3/20
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Sergey Beryozkin. For

David Lloyd

Apr 3, 2020, 12:28:36 PM4/3/20
to microp...@googlegroups.com
David Lloyd. For
> --

- DML

Amelia Eiras

Apr 3, 2020, 2:34:52 PM4/3/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Amelia Eiras- For.

Ondro Mihályi

Apr 3, 2020, 6:19:19 PM4/3/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Against

Ondro

Emily Jiang

Apr 5, 2020, 6:39:24 PM4/5/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Emily Jiang. Against.

Eric Wittmann

Apr 6, 2020, 8:35:57 AM4/6/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Eric Wittmann.  For

Stephane Epardaud

Apr 6, 2020, 9:11:16 AM4/6/20
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Stephane Epardaud. For.

On Mon, 6 Apr 2020 at 14:36, Eric Wittmann <ewit...@redhat.com> wrote:
Eric Wittmann.  For

Stéphane Épardaud

Ryan St. James

Apr 6, 2020, 9:23:11 AM4/6/20
to MicroProfile
Ryan St. James : FOR

Mike Croft

Apr 6, 2020, 9:25:54 AM4/6/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Mike Croft; Abstain

Jean-Frederic Mesnil

Apr 6, 2020, 9:40:32 AM4/6/20
to microp...@googlegroups.com
Jeff Mesnil. For.
> --

Jeff Mesnil
Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat
http://jmesnil.net/

Scott Stark

Apr 6, 2020, 10:17:36 AM4/6/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
For

Michal Karm Babacek

Apr 6, 2020, 10:22:49 AM4/6/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Michal Karm Babacek. For

Alasdair Nottingham

Apr 6, 2020, 10:24:26 AM4/6/20
to 'Emily Jiang' via Eclipse MicroProfile
Alasdair Nottingham. Against

John Clingan

Apr 6, 2020, 11:44:44 AM4/6/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
John Clingan. For.

Kevin Sutter

Apr 6, 2020, 11:49:25 AM4/6/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Against (out of principle)

Cesar Saavedra

Apr 6, 2020, 11:54:30 AM4/6/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Cesar Saavedra. For

Nathan Rauh

Apr 6, 2020, 2:53:32 PM4/6/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Against.  TCK compliance must be one condition of compatibility, but not the only condition, which would enable implementations to disregard other spec requirements so long as the TCK is passed.

Gordon Hutchison

Apr 7, 2020, 10:34:06 AM4/7/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile

For. Gordon Hutchison.

(Mostly as I believe that this was the original understanding. The original base non-MP TCKs were, at that time, not all free-as-in-beer and
it was intentional not to require new-entrants to MP to pay for base TCK licenses. Changing it now, in the light of Jakarta TCKs, after people have invested
time and effort on innovative implementations is not fair on those implementors IMHO even if it is a better result from some perspectives.
PS, I work mostly on OpenLiberty which does pass the base
TCKs.
PPS I think the term provide an API would be written and read as implying the provision of compatible implementation and that would typically be verified with TCK compliance,

Andy McCright

Apr 8, 2020, 2:20:47 PM4/8/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Andy McCright. Abstain.

David Blevins

Apr 10, 2020, 12:56:26 AM4/10/20
to Micro Profile
Abstain.  David Blevins

I'm not a fan of this style of voting and it's clear from the discussion thread we were maybe a bit quick to call a vote.  I don't fully understand all the objections, but they seem manageable so far.

On Apr 2, 2020, at 11:17 AM, Ken Finnigan <k...@kenfinnigan.me> wrote:

MicroProfile compatibility is defined as a runtime passing all MicroProfile specification TCKs in the platform release.

Rules:

Ken Finnigan

Apr 13, 2020, 9:45:33 AM4/13/20
to MicroProfile
Apologies I forgot to close the vote on Thursday before the long weekend.

The result of the vote is that it did not pass. MP will continue without a definition of compatibility for now.

Ken

David Blevins

Apr 14, 2020, 3:42:58 PM4/14/20
to Micro Profile
FYI it was raised today that maybe we're not giving enough time to business-as-usual topic on our MP calls, particularly architecture as that timeslot has been completely overtaken by Working Group discussions.  Specifically, that it has to be very frustrating for people who are trying to get something to move forward amidst a distracted community.

We then agreed that the half-hour we dedicate on the regular MP community calls should be dedicated to any business-as-usual topic, including architecture.

Should we add this to the agenda for next call and see if we can get something to go forward?

Ken Finnigan

Apr 14, 2020, 4:40:02 PM4/14/20
to MicroProfile
We explicitly disbanded the Architecture calls, irrespective of the WG discussions, to do things asynchronously.

I am against us re-introducing Architecture discussion into the Bi-weekly hangouts as it takes away from doing the work asynchronously.

Amelia Eiras

Apr 14, 2020, 5:27:19 PM4/14/20
to MicroProfile Community
Ken,

Adding the git issue where your preference was stated nicely yet it has not been talked about during the Community calls. Major step missed due to current focus: MP 4.0 and MPWG.

 FYI that less than 40 MicroProfilers watch that REPO, so adding the ticket below for reference to Ken's follow up.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Eclipse MicroProfile" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/microprofile/CAKeeVe7D08Pk-QQ%3D7UhJdXJ1JBoojB7r_keM_buKcSPi--u%3DTQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Ken Finnigan

Apr 15, 2020, 8:46:18 AM4/15/20
to MicroProfile
Everything doesn't need to be discussed in Community calls, as long as there is a discussion on this list. Or is there a rule I'm not aware of?

Moving the Architecture discussions to async was discussed here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/microprofile/hOBvkODOIGE

I'd forgotten that there was a ticket about marketing the calls, it can now be closed.

Emily Jiang

Apr 15, 2020, 11:32:56 AM4/15/20
to Eclipse MicroProfile

+1 Ken for the async Architecture communication!

p.s. I suggest we complete this thread as we should not hijack this thread for other conversations :o. Voting thread should not have discussions.

Emily
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to microp...@googlegroups.com.