MicroProfile and service mash ecosystem

Emily Jiang

Jul 25, 2017, 4:49:22 PM7/25/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Since multiple people brought up the service mash architecture, I think we should have a dedication discussion about the interaction between MicroProfile and a service mash platform, e.g.  Istio, a new open platform that allows you to create a network of deployed services, an which includes tools for load balancing, service-to-service authentication and monitoring, among others.

As we are creating programming model for microservices, we need to investigate how best to create an ecosystem to make MicroProfile programming model working in Istio or other service mash architecture.

Recently, we discussed the Fault Tolerance feature in this thread about how to make MicroProfile Fault Tolerance work with  a service mash platform, e.g. Istio. Fault Tolerance is not the only area to be investigated. Since Istio has metrics, health check, security capabilities, each spec should assess how they can interact in the service mash platform.

How about creating a dedicate repo to centralise the interactions, e.g microprofile-service-mash? Thoughts?

Emily

Ken Finnigan

Jul 25, 2017, 5:03:31 PM7/25/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Emily,

Why not use the new sandbox repo to prototype ideas, etc?

Ken

Mark Little

Jul 26, 2017, 4:01:08 AM7/26/17
to Ken Finnigan, Eclipse MicroProfile
+1

Emily Jiang

Jul 26, 2017, 4:43:22 PM7/26/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile
Ken,

I was thinking to create a repo to spec the interaction between MP programming model with Istio capability. Do you suggest to use the sandbox to store the spec?

Emily

Ken Finnigan

Jul 26, 2017, 4:57:15 PM7/26/17
to Emily Jiang, Eclipse MicroProfile
The main purpose of the sandbox is for trialling things that might end up as part of MP.

Does what you propose not fit with that?

Emily Jiang

Jul 26, 2017, 5:46:33 PM7/26/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile, emij...@googlemail.com
The sandbox step is optional, right? According to the current process, Send message to Google Group Forum with brief paragraph or two on the idea/proposal and asking for feedback within 72 hrs. ...Acceptance results in an appropriate admin requesting a new git repository for the proposed feature so that work can begin on spec/api/tck.

Did I miss anything?
Emily

On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 4:49:22 PM UTC-4, Emily Jiang wrote:
[...]

Ken Finnigan

Jul 26, 2017, 7:27:14 PM7/26/17
to Emily Jiang, Eclipse MicroProfile
From your initial posting you mentioned having a discussion, and at the end you mentioned creating a repo to work on interactions.

To my recollection, there wasn't an agreement that we should include anything Istio related in MP.io right now, so the appropriate next steps would be a discussion thread or work on integrations in the sandbox repo.

Am i misunderstanding the situation?

Ken

Emily Jiang

Jul 27, 2017, 6:54:19 PM7/27/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile, emij...@googlemail.com
I was trying to use this thread to discuss. Maybe I did not state clearly. I'll start a new thread to discuss the technical details. I am trying to test the current process, suggesting to use a couple of paragraphs to describe an idea. Maybe I need to add a bit more.

Emily

Ken Finnigan

Jul 27, 2017, 6:56:46 PM7/27/17
to Emily Jiang, Eclipse MicroProfile
Starting a discussion is fine, but you then wanted to create a repository without further discussion.

So I think there's two options.

Start a thread to discuss Istio and how it could be integrated with MP.io, or add code/docs into the sandbox repo if that helps to garner understanding of what it would mean.

Ken

Ian Robinson

Aug 15, 2017, 6:48:50 AM8/15/17
to Eclipse MicroProfile, emij...@googlemail.com
I'll start another thread for the former - and make it clear that its purpose is to discuss design choices and issues around the use of MicroProfile technologies in the presence of Istio, which is something that does keep coming up. There are a couple of issues already created for the FT spec and there are some patterns of usage with other specs like health check that might be useful to have in one place.