Microprofile 1.0 spec is hard to find

Jeff Mesnil

Jul 6, 2017, 8:35:48 AM7/6/17
to MicroProfile
I wanted to quick check which version of JSON-P was required by MicroProfile 1.0 spec and I found that the info was very hard to find.

I did not find a link to it from http://microprofile.io
Googling for "eclipse microprofile 1.0 specification" did not return a correct result in the 1st 2 pages.
I then checked all the GitHub microprofile-* repos until I found https://github.com/eclipse/microprofile-bom which should be the place to get this info but did not have a 1.0 release.

I don't remember how but I ended up finding https://github.com/microprofile/microprofile-bom (which is no longer used afaict) to get the actual info I was seeking: https://github.com/microprofile/microprofile-bom/blob/1.0.0/pom.xml#L78

Did I miss an obvious way to get this info?
If not, it'd be great if this info (the BOM, the required spec and their numbers) were more visible from http://microprofile.io.

jeff

Kevin Sutter

Jul 6, 2017, 3:07:27 PM7/6/17
to MicroProfile
Sorry, Jeff!  One of the problems is that we did the MicroProfile 1.0 release before we joined the Eclipse foundation.  Our processes and governance is getting better defined as we figure out the Eclipse way of doing things.

To answer your specific questions...  We did not have a spec, per se, for MicroProfile 1.0.  We just discussed as a small community and decided on the content of MicroProfile 1.0 -- JAX-RS 2.0, JSON-P 1.0, and CDI 1.2.

The definition of this content can be found in our BOM in Maven:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/io/microprofile/microprofile/1.0.0/microprofile-1.0.0.pom

As you have probably found, we're being a bit more careful with our definition for MicroProfile 1.1.  We're going through the [VOTE] process as we speak.  We hope to the both the Config 1.0 component and MicroProfile 1.1 ready by mid July.
https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/technology.microprofile/releases/config-1.0
https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/technology.microprofile/releases/1.1

Hope this helps!  And, thanks for checking us out!

--  Kevin