Fwd: [VOTE] "Self-Service" MicroProfile Shirts

Reza Rahman

May 16, 2023, 4:49:35 PM5/16/23
to microprofil...@googlegroups.com, MPCommunity

FYI

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: [VOTE] "Self-Service" MicroProfile Shirts
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 16:47:31 -0400
From: Reza Rahman <reza_...@lycos.com>
To: MicroProfile Steering Committee <microprofi...@eclipse.org>, Microprofile WG discussions <micropr...@eclipse.org>

Folks,

As you are aware, there are members that would like to print MicroProfile branded shirts with their own budget. Such shirts still need to respect corporate brands that are carefully regulated. Furthermore, the Eclipse Foundation has been very clear about it's guidelines in not permitting swag with both the MicroProfile logo and corporate logos, whomever prints such swag. For the Foundation, this is violation of trademark terms.

The proposed solution is to have an approved design that allows for "self-service" MicroProfile shirts that work within these reasonable and pragmatic constraints. I've outlined the solution in the attached abstract mock-up. We can print a nice large MicroProfile logo in the front of the shirt and clearly list working group member names in the back with dates without using any logos. The Eclipse Foundation logo will be on the sleeve. The approved design will be made available on a self-service website like Zazzle, etc for anyone to "buy" a shirt.

It is advisable that all MicroProfile members run this solution by their marketing, branding, and legal teams before casting a formal vote. Note that the final design will be sent to the Foundation for review and approval prior to making it available for production.

A steering committee representatives vote is requested on this matter. Please respond with +1 (positive), 0 (abstain), or -1 (reject).  Any feedback that you can provide to support your vote will be appreciated.

This vote will be open for seven days, so it will end on May 23rd, 2023. The approval of the proposal requires a super-majority positive vote of steering committee members.  There is no veto. Community input and votes are welcome. However, only the votes delivered by steering committee representatives will be counted.

Thanks,

Reza
microprofle_shirt.png

Reza Rahman

May 19, 2023, 10:52:20 AM5/19/23
to microprofil...@googlegroups.com, MPCommunity

FYI. Please consult your working group representative if appropriate and remind them to cast a vote. It would be good to settle this matter. I think it has gone on a bit too long.

May 19, 2023, 12:59:39 PM5/19/23
to microprofil...@googlegroups.com, MPCommunity
Hola Reza,

Thank you for being a valuable MPWG - May Steward!

How about starting a 7-day new ballot (next Monday)? Doing so will follow the VOTE process and simplify the current request VOTE.

In such VOTE email, the link to the community email thread should be added to enable further discussion, if any. Such supporting information and its marketing git issues should be added to the vote email. The voting email should not discuss any voting matter aside from comments on the actual vote, especially when 0 or -1.   Only votes should be welcomed on VOTE email requests. Doing so helps everyone keep the voting process clear on any resolution and future tracking.

I hope this helps,
💛

Reza Rahman

May 19, 2023, 1:19:25 PM5/19/23
to Amelia Eiras, microprofil...@googlegroups.com, MPCommunity
If there is a compelling need, there is no reason why Tomitribe could not start a new ballot with whatever the desired format and content is. Once that is done, I will be quite happy to declare my call to vote forfeit.

May 19, 2023, 1:36:11 PM5/19/23
to Amelia Eiras, microprofil...@googlegroups.com, MPCommunity

As I said, happy for someone else to start a new vote using whatever form, content and process they believe is best. No big deal. I just want this sorted so we can move on.

Amelia Eiras

May 19, 2023, 1:44:37 PM5/19/23
to Reza Rahman, microprofil...@googlegroups.com, MPCommunity
Call to Action: Anyone who wishes to lead this vote effort, please step in and own it via actions 💫

PS: If no MicroProfiler volunteers by the end of Monday, the 22nd, I will start the 7-day ballot on Tuesday, May 23rd.

Thanks, Reza.

Clark Roundy

May 19, 2023, 10:39:43 PM5/19/23
to microprofil...@googlegroups.com, Amelia Eiras, MPCommunity
Hey there,

It seems we are spending an inordinate amount of time on this issue. This should really be considered an informal ballot, as it has nothing to do with governance or IP.  The style and manner of Amelia's referenced ballot (and the 7 day timeframe) is actually meant for a formal vote related to the spec process. This vote is not about specs.

Might I suggest that on Monday, Reza append the thread to simply extend the ballot to Friday the 26th, and those that haven't voted yet, please do so. As a marketing person, I assure you that your marketing and branding folks will want to be aware if your company name is being used on t-shirts in this way.

One way or another, I hope we can put this issue to rest by Friday so the marketing committee can focus more energy around content and other marketing programs.

Thanks all,

Clark

--

Clark Roundy

Director, Product Marketing | Eclipse Foundation

+1.801.750.9144 | eclipse.org | Twitter | LinkedIn | YouTube

https://meetings.hubspot.com/clark-roundy

Reza Rahman

May 19, 2023, 11:05:23 PM5/19/23
to microprofil...@googlegroups.com, Amelia Eiras, MPCommunity
This all makes sense to me. Provided others agree, I am happy to extend the deadline a bit. Looking back, it took me almost a week to work through all the marketing, branding, and legal process. Inordinate time indeed…

Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 23:07:04 -0400
From: Reza Rahman <reza_...@lycos.com>
To: MicroProfile Steering Committee <microprofi...@eclipse.org>, Microprofile WG discussions <micropr...@eclipse.org>

Upon good advice from the Eclipse Foundation and the realization that it took me at least a week to check with my own marketing, branding and legal folks, I am extending this vote to the 31st of May.

Please help resolve this matter so we can move on to execution on the marketing work that benefits us all. If you are indifferent or ambivalent, casting a 0 vote at least adds clarity.
microprofle_shirt.png