Swag Distribution Decisions at DevNexus

Reza Rahman

Feb 20, 2023, 6:46:30 PM2/20/23
to microprofil...@googlegroups.com, microp...@googlegroups.com
Folks,

DevNexus is coming up much faster than one might realize and we need to
nail down decisions very soon. In that spirit I ask that we all weigh in
on the following promptly.

* Emily, Edwin and Josh have MicroProfile related talks. So far, the
consensus appears to be that we send them 10 shirts and 100 stickers
each to distribute during their talks. I think this is a sensible use of
money and the numbers make overall sense given about 40 people per talk
is a reasonable attendance number to expect at DevNexus.

* I think just doing the above is way under-utilizing the opportunity
that DevNexus represents. We should be looking to do much more for
several good reasons. It does seem like DevNexus has basically displaced
JavaOne as the premier Java conference (makes me a tiny bit sad but such
is life). The majority in terms of the core Java community seems to show
up there in one way or the other. The MicroProfile vendor booth presence
seems exceptionally strong perhaps as a result. Three of the vendors -
Microsoft, IBM and Payara are willing to help distribute swag from their
booth. To boot, North American destinations are very shipping cost
friendly. I suggest we use our swag dollars to maximize our impact at
DevNexus. The total attendance at DevNexus is ~1000+. I suggest we look
to send ~200 hoodies and ~1K stickers to distribute from the booths,
with both attendees and community leaders in mind. As a nice side
effect, this basically uses up our leftover 2022 budget (see potentially
very important note below on this).

Can you kindly share your thoughts on the items above in a timely
fashion so we can properly wrap up this important decision and move
forward? This is especially true of working group members, where this
money mostly comes from.

Thanks,
Reza

P.S.: One important consideration is spending swag with the 2022 budget
very soon, especially for working group members. I am not an accountant,
but utilizing OpEx money too late after the budget period is over can be
a very dicey matter in terms of tax audits (and non-profits like the
Eclipse Foundation are audited surprisingly often). I believe we should
play it safe and try to spend the 2022 money promptly and move on in a
timely fashion to the 2023 budget money. March/April may already be
getting into dicey territory.

Amelia Eiras

Feb 21, 2023, 4:00:41 PM2/21/23
to microprofil...@googlegroups.com, microp...@googlegroups.com
Same follow-up as Re: JavaLand? thread

Emerson and Reza,

Can you please update the Swag 2022 spreadsheet, row 2 (fill in the amounts)? How much swag was purchased on MP hoodies and stickers using the $15,000?

 Feb 16th- MPWG forum email provides my feedback on Javaland's speaker coverage.  It also provides tracing reference to swag resolutions between the EF team and the WG from Dec 2022 as follows:

The discussion on what swag to print closed with only Hoodie resolution on Dec 16th via the MPWG mailing list Re: [microprofile-wg] 2022 Marketing Proposal
The swag pricing estimate was provided on Dec 8th. Swag price

Thank you,

Reza Rahman

Feb 21, 2023, 7:27:31 PM2/21/23
to microp...@googlegroups.com, microprofil...@googlegroups.com

Responding once to the same question, I hope that's OK. I've updated the spreadsheet with the swag amounts purchased with the 2022 budget. The Foundation indeed only purchased hoodies on our behalf and stickers.

These are now sitting in a warehouse in North America. If these are not shipped soon, the warehouse will begin to charge a storage fee, which will come out of the 2023 budget.

Is there anything else you wanted to inquire about on this to help us move forward on decision making in a timely fashion?

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MicroProfile" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/microprofile/CAJ0g8j604rEQWhs5ABUP8%2BoDGL9jPp%2B5Dfi%2BmCUPN_2KZfi%3DLA%40mail.gmail.com.

Amelia Eiras

Feb 21, 2023, 8:37:41 PM2/21/23
to microp...@googlegroups.com, microprofil...@googlegroups.com, MPWG
Thank you, Reza.

I have taken the first shot at distributing the 2022 swag, using 2021 swag distribution as the standard. Speakers are covered: rows 22 & 28, Javaland and DevNexus, respectively.

Swag Allocation - Steering Committee Members. This distribution is my recommendation with the notes below. I hope it helps. MPWG shouldn't have to pay for storage now that we know the actual amounts and can allocate fairly quickly 💛
  1. The WG specially requested the 2XL hoodies. Tomitribe desires to ship the extra 2XL added hoodies (in the sheet) to the MicroProfilers we know are active and need 2XL. If any other Members require an additional 2XL hoodie beyond the 1 allocated across, please say so or directly add it to the sheet.  There are 3 left 2XL hoodies for the taking by Members.   If no members claim them, Tomitribe would happily grab the 3 extra hoodies and store them until 3 MicroProfilers from our community request them.
  2. Row 31 shows the leftover inventory after 6 speakers are covered and 10 members' swag allocation. The 15 hoodies left (row 31, column L) could be distributed by MicroProfilers volunteering at the Jakarta EE booth during DevNexus or similar.
  3. Based on stats: Javaland speakers get 1 more Medium than Large.
  4. Based on stats: DevNexus speakers get 1 more Large than Medium.
  5. Column L shows what everyone gets and what is left using the feedback provided thus far.
image.png

Reza Rahman

Feb 21, 2023, 8:59:17 PM2/21/23
to microp...@googlegroups.com, microprofil...@googlegroups.com

I believe the primary priority is to distribute the 2022 swag in a timely fashion. While I am not entirely convinced just leaving it up to each member how to use swag is the optimal marketing strategy for the group, it's not the end of the world. As long as the Eclipse Foundation is willing to ship to so many locations, its OK for now. Perhaps we can discuss at a later point in time whether there is a better collective strategy/plan to utilize with the 2023 budget (that does not end in this awkward scenario of distributing last year's swag). I bet the Foundation has best practices on some of this they can share with us.

If we go with this proposal, Microsoft will be looking to distribute all the swag we have from our booth at DevNexus.

Now, can other folks kindly weigh in so we can make a consensus based decision and move forward? You basically have two proposals on the table. It should be easy enough to just pick a choice.

Reza Rahman

Feb 22, 2023, 9:36:40 AM2/22/23
to microprofil...@googlegroups.com, microp...@googlegroups.com
It’s easier and cheaper to ship directly to your booth at DevNexus.

At a slightly higher level, what model for this time would Payara prefer? Focus mostly on DevNexus (and to a lesser extent JavaLand) or essentially distribute across members (in which case we can certainly try to ship it to the UK offices).

If it can be shipped to DevNexus (whatever their shipment dates are) then Payara is happy to distribute an allocated portion. Otherwise we can receive some at our office in the UK and we can spread it across events for the year.

Jadon Ortlepp

Senior Digital Marketer

Vincent Mayers

Feb 22, 2023, 1:32:17 PM2/22/23
to microprofil...@googlegroups.com
ack, my ajug email isn't going through to mp marketing, trying this

Cheers
Vincent

@vincentmayers

Feb 23, 2023, 12:58:16 PM2/23/23
to MicroProfile Marketing
For DevNexus, please ship to DevNexus and IBM will collect from there.
Can I have 200 stickers instead of 100 stickers instead?
Thanks
Emily

Reza Rahman

Feb 23, 2023, 1:06:54 PM2/23/23
to microprofil...@googlegroups.com

Just want to understand, so sticking with the per-member allocation model, send IBM's allocation to DevNexus? And also send you 200 stickers and 20 hoodies to JavaLand? Should the additional 10 hoodies for you come from the IBM "allocation"? That will leave you with 7 hoodies for DevNexus, in addition to the 10 you "earned" as a speaker.

Lastly, should we just send all your and IBM swag for use at DevNexus directly to the IBM booth? That will save shipping costs compared to the UK and probably also hassle for you?

Emily Jiang

Feb 23, 2023, 1:15:50 PM2/23/23
to MicroProfile Marketing
Hi Reza,
My replies are inline.

On Thursday, February 23, 2023 at 6:06:54 PM UTC m.reza...@gmail.com wrote:

Just want to understand, so sticking with the per-member allocation model, send IBM's allocation to DevNexus?

Yes

And also send you 200 stickers and 20 hoodies to JavaLand?

Yes

Should the additional 10 hoodies for you come from the IBM "allocation"?

Yes

That will leave you with 7 hoodies for DevNexus, in addition to the 10 you "earned" as a speaker.

okay

Lastly, should we just send all your and IBM swag for use at DevNexus directly to the IBM booth? That will save shipping costs compared to the UK and probably also hassle for you?

Yes
Thanks
Emily

Vincent Mayers

Feb 23, 2023, 1:28:06 PM2/23/23
to microprofil...@googlegroups.com, M Reza Rahman
@M Reza Rahman I have attached some shipping labels to use for Devnexus. The one you use depends on when you plan for the swag to arrive. The Exhibitor's name should be IBM/Emily Jiang, and the booth number should be 19

Cheers
Vincent

@vincentmayers

shipping_labels_warehouse.pdf
shipping_labels_show_site.pdf

Michael Redlich

Feb 23, 2023, 1:51:49 PM2/23/23
to microprofil...@googlegroups.com, microp...@googlegroups.com
Hi Reza:

If I read your proposal correctly, you are asking for 200 of the 250 hoodies to be shipped to Devnexus.  I totally agree that Devnexus is a more premiere event and I can certainly appreciate the spirit in what you're trying to accomplish with this proposal.  However, I don't feel that it is fair that only the three vendors who have a booth at Devnexus - Microsoft, IBM and Payara - should benefit from everyone elses allocation of hoodies.

As a representative of a small JUG, we would indeed appreciate our allocation for our attendees.  They are the ones who support our JUG and should be rewarded as such.  Plus, I'm sure a lot of our attendees wouldn't be able to attend Devnexus.  Also, while there will be GSJUG representation at Devnexus this year, we don't have the resources to have our own booth.

I agree with Vince's assessment, so I am a +1 on Amelia's proposal.  It does provide a better distribution of this swag and helps out the small JUGs at the same time.

All the best,

Mike.

Code, TestWrite, Cycle, Run, Drink, Sleep ... Repeat
Lead Java Queue Editor, InfoQ

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler

Reza Rahman

Feb 23, 2023, 3:39:29 PM2/23/23
to microprofil...@googlegroups.com, microp...@googlegroups.com
Thanks very much for helping us take a step towards resolving this matter. I would like to commit to a decision by EOD Friday and move forward. I look forward to hearing from iJUG and Oracle.

Feb 24, 2023, 5:56:26 PM2/24/23
to microprofil...@googlegroups.com, microp...@googlegroups.com
I am declaring this matter resolved. We will look to shipping to JavaLand/DevNexus speakers as well as a certain allocated number to each member.

IBM and Microsoft’s allocation will go to DevNexus. Indeed Microsoft’s allocation will go to the Payara booth for distribution. Do any of the other members want their allocations shipped to DevNexus as well? That is by far the easiest option in terms of managing logistics. Note, to keep things sane we must ship to one of the vendor booths (the Jakarta EE booth is not an option unfortunately). You can arrange to pick up your swag from there. Note also that shipping overseas from North America is rather complicated. This isn’t just about North America either. While most of us don’t realize it, overseas shipping in large quantities is always a dicey affair unless one is in the export/import business. Indeed North America as a source is one of the easier scenarios.

Feb 27, 2023, 2:13:38 PM2/27/23
to microprofil...@googlegroups.com, microprofil...@googlegroups.com

Can I have one for Payara too please? It would be for Jadon Ortlepp at the booth.

David Blevins

Feb 27, 2023, 10:14:42 PM2/27/23
to microprofil...@googlegroups.com, microp...@googlegroups.com
Just an FYI on this conversation.   The foundation has stated a handful of times in budget discussions that we can use our own money to fund things we need not covered by the budget.

If you need more swag for DevNexus, you can print it and hand it out.

For DevNexus 2018, Tomitribe printed 300 MicroProfile shirts and divided them up between ourselves, the EF, IBM and Red Hat booths.  We didn’t charge anyone, we just gave them away — asking everyone to cut a 1k check is more hassle than it’s worth.

Word of warning; don’t put the shirts in duffle bags like I did -- the security at the venue is strict.  Poor Roberto got harassed by the security guards for looking “suspicious" carrying two large and heavy duffle bags into a crowded space.  Best to keep them in boxes that are labelled and get a cart to roll them in.

Amelia Eiras

Feb 28, 2023, 7:13:40 PM2/28/23
to microprofil...@googlegroups.com, microp...@googlegroups.com
Happy end of February, MicroProfilers💛

Following David's reminder, the 2022 MPWG members approved for individualized printing as each member sees fit its needs [outside the project's yearly budget] the 2022 swag designs found in the community drive Apparel_Designs > 2022 and as listed in the website under branding resources: https://microprofile.io/resources/branding/

The 2023 MP swag design is being updated (thank you, Ryan) to enable 2023 members' approval before its usage. The work is stated in the working git ticket [2023 - MP design Swag]. Update designs to include new Members #791