Lenovo 3000 N-100 - 0c45:627f - again

Diego Iastrubni

Nov 12, 2008, 2:11:39 PM11/12/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I upgraded a kernel here and found out that my old "blob" did not work (I had this old compilation from about half a year ago which still worked!), so I decided to checkout master and give the new code a try. I found out that my webcam is still not supported, even tough for basic usage the fix was trivial (attached here).

I see other people having problems, and other tried to bring this cam to life, but I am not sure what, or why...:
http://groups.google.com/group/microdia/browse_thread/thread/2a8232ddf447e6db/5559abebe71f1439?lnk=gst&q=627F#5559abebe71f1439
http://groups.google.com/group/microdia/browse_thread/thread/43391aa2d1392404/3a47c4188c6d00dc?lnk=gst&q=627F#3a47c4188c6d00dc
http://groups.google.com/group/microdia/browse_thread/thread/c4b68a245c61d3d6/bc944c657b03928b?lnk=gst&q=627F#bc944c657b03928b

I assume I can find more...

Anyway, even the web pages on the group's home (http://groups.google.com/group/microdia/web) do not mention anything about this camera. I first joined to this group at April (http://groups.google.com/group/microdia/browse_thread/thread/50e22d211e58dc34/67fb4cc67841522c?lnk=gst&q=iastrubni#67fb4cc67841522c) and a few weeks after I had a working driver here. Half a year after, still master has nothing.

Why is that? How can I help you? Documentation? Coding? Testing? All I want is my cam supported out of the box in the next distro I install. Let's make this happen.

- diego

lenovo-300n-n100.patch

GWater

Nov 12, 2008, 2:15:38 PM11/12/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
It's nice to hear that you are so passionate about contributing.

And it's a shame that I'm convinced the work is already done.
Please do this in your microdia folder:
$ git checkout --track -b development origin/development

And then test it again. Good luck.

GWater

Diego Iastrubni schrieb:

> Hi all,
>
> I upgraded a kernel here and found out that my old "blob" did not work
> (I had this old compilation from about half a year ago which still
> worked!), so I decided to checkout master and give the new code a try. I

> found out that my webcam is *still not supported*, even tough for basic

> usage the fix was trivial (attached here).
>
> I see other people having problems, and other tried to bring this cam to
> life, but I am not sure what, or why...:
> http://groups.google.com/group/microdia/browse_thread/thread/2a8232ddf447e6db/5559abebe71f1439?lnk=gst&q=627F#5559abebe71f1439

> <http://groups.google.com/group/microdia/browse_thread/thread/2a8232ddf447e6db/5559abebe71f1439?lnk=gst&q=627F#5559abebe71f1439>
> http://groups.google.com/group/microdia/browse_thread/thread/43391aa2d1392404/3a47c4188c6d00dc?lnk=gst&q=627F#3a47c4188c6d00dc
> <http://groups.google.com/group/microdia/browse_thread/thread/43391aa2d1392404/3a47c4188c6d00dc?lnk=gst&q=627F#3a47c4188c6d00dc>
> http://groups.google.com/group/microdia/browse_thread/thread/c4b68a245c61d3d6/bc944c657b03928b?lnk=gst&q=627F#bc944c657b03928b

> <http://groups.google.com/group/microdia/browse_thread/thread/50e22d211e58dc34/67fb4cc67841522c?lnk=gst&q=iastrubni#67fb4cc67841522c>)

> and a few weeks after I had a working driver here. Half a year after,
> still master has nothing.
>
> Why is that? How can I help you? Documentation? Coding? Testing? All I
> want is my cam supported out of the box in the next distro I install.
> Let's make this happen.
>
> - diego

signature.asc

Diego Iastrubni

Nov 12, 2008, 2:43:27 PM11/12/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
almost... drivers gets loaded I can see it inside skype, but I get no video:

Nov 12 21:36:02 pinky kernel: microdia: Microdia USB 2.0 webcam driver loaded
Nov 12 21:36:02 pinky kernel: microdia: Microdia USB 2.0 Webcam - 0C45:627F plugged-in.
Nov 12 21:36:02 pinky kernel: microdia: Detected SN9C20X Bridge
Nov 12 21:36:02 pinky kernel: microdia: Detected sensor: OV9650
Nov 12 21:36:02 pinky kernel: microdia: Microdia USB 2.0 Webcam is now controlling video device /dev/video0
Nov 12 21:36:02 pinky kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver usb_microdia_driver
Nov 12 21:36:02 pinky kernel: microdia: v2008.10 : Microdia USB 2.0 Webcam Driver
Nov 12 21:36:24 pinky kernel: microdia: Freeing 0 v4l2 buffers

3 questions now:
  1. What can I do now to get my cam working?
  2. Why master does not contain anything that is working? (even if it's an ugly hack as I posted on previous message)
  3. Why there is no documentation? About this specific driver, or about mainline kernel merging?
GWater, once again, I can and want to help. You will have to guide me a little tough. Documentation? shoot. Testing? no problem. (I have dont that already...) Coding? Please tell me what are your coding intentions and how can I help.

You see, gmail has now video support and I want to use that :)
http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2008/11/say-hello-to-gmail-voice-and-video-chat.html

GWater

Nov 12, 2008, 2:58:26 PM11/12/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
Answers inside.

Diego Iastrubni schrieb:
> 3 questions now:
>
> 1. What can I do now to get my cam working?
There are two reasons for this. Look into the README about libv4l and
apply the attached patch. It fixes a too low default exposure setting.

> 2. Why master does not contain anything that is working? (even if

> it's an ugly hack as I posted on previous message)

Because everyone is working on development and it will become master in
a few days (a least that's what I and maybe a few others hope). Anyway -
you're right development is much better than master right now.

> 3. Why there is no documentation? About this specific driver, or
> about mainline kernel merging?
Check out the pages section of our googlegroup. There is quite some
documentation(maybe not so much up2date but nevertheless). And I tried
to keep the README up2date as well.

http://groups.google.com/group/microdia/web

> GWater, once again, I can and want to help. You will have to guide me a
> little tough. Documentation? shoot. Testing? no problem. (I have dont
> that already...) Coding? Please tell me what are your coding intentions
> and how can I help.

1. As you can see documentation has one problem - no one finds it. And I
have no idea howto fix that. So, ideas and help is welcome.

2. Testing: once you get an image-stream you can test brians and my
patches - I'll supply you with links.

3. Coding: Your own cam is pretty well supported. If you have time - the
micron sensors need some attention.

> You see, gmail has now video support and I want to use that :)
> http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2008/11/say-hello-to-gmail-voice-and-video-chat.html

Sounds col - I'll check that out, too. ;)

GWater

signature.asc
0001-Remove-sn9c20x_set_exposure-and-set-the-standard-e.patch

Diego Iastrubni

Nov 12, 2008, 3:40:21 PM11/12/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
Hi, See comments inline

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 9:58 PM, GWater <grew...@googlemail.com> wrote:
Answers inside.

Diego Iastrubni schrieb:
3 questions now:

  1. What can I do now to get my cam working?
There are two reasons for this. Look into the README about libv4l and apply the attached patch. It fixes a too low default exposure setting.

I applied the attached patch to "development". Skype shows black, Kopete crashes and in /var/log/messages I see:

Nov 12 22:35:20 pinky logger: ----------
Nov 12 22:35:20 pinky kernel: microdia: Microdia USB 2.0 webcam driver loaded
Nov 12 22:35:20 pinky kernel: microdia: Microdia USB 2.0 Webcam - 0C45:627F plugged-in.
Nov 12 22:35:20 pinky kernel: microdia: Detected SN9C20X Bridge
Nov 12 22:35:21 pinky kernel: microdia: Detected sensor: OV9650
Nov 12 22:35:21 pinky kernel: microdia: Microdia USB 2.0 Webcam is now controlling video device /dev/video0
Nov 12 22:35:21 pinky kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver usb_microdia_driver
Nov 12 22:35:21 pinky kernel: microdia: v2008.10 : Microdia USB 2.0 Webcam Driver
Nov 12 22:35:24 pinky kernel: microdia: Freeing 0 v4l2 buffers
Nov 12 22:36:37 pinky last message repeated 2 times
Nov 12 22:36:37 pinky kernel: microdia: Buffers Allocated 2
Nov 12 22:36:37 pinky kernel: microdia: Found Endpoint 0x1
Nov 12 22:36:37 pinky kernel: microdia: Frame Resolution: 320x240
Nov 12 22:36:37 pinky kernel: microdia: Frame Size: 76800
Nov 12 22:36:37 pinky kernel: microdia: Frame Resolution: 320x240
Nov 12 22:36:37 pinky kernel: microdia: Frame Size: 76800
Nov 12 22:36:37 pinky kernel: microdia: Frame Resolution: 320x240
Nov 12 22:36:37 pinky kernel: microdia: Frame Size: 76800
Nov 12 22:36:40 pinky kernel: microdia: Freeing 2 v4l2 buffers

  3. Why there is no documentation? About this specific driver, or
     about mainline kernel merging?
Check out the pages section of our googlegroup. There is quite some documentation(maybe not so much up2date but nevertheless). And I tried
to keep the README up2date as well.
I did read it, and some pages mentioned my webcam, some did not. The README does mention my can as supported.
This needs improvement.

You see, gmail has now video support and I want to use that :)
http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2008/11/say-hello-to-gmail-voice-and-video-chat.html
Sounds col - I'll check that out, too. ;)
No linux support yet... crap :(

GWater

Nov 12, 2008, 3:44:37 PM11/12/08
to micr...@googlegroups.com
Please pull the latest developments and read the new section on libv4l
in the README.(The patch I sent is uploaded together with some other stuff.)

GWater

Diego Iastrubni schrieb:

signature.asc

Diego Iastrubni

Jul 6, 2009, 2:52:34 PM7/6/09
to micr...@googlegroups.com
(really old thread... ).

I pulled the code today, and I want to to tel "yay"!
Kopete works out of the box, skype needed it's regular hacks, so what.

The system is Fedora11, 64bit.

Once again, if it's not clear: huge thanks. Great job.