Module recompilation

Felix

Oct 27, 2010, 6:56:36 PM10/27/10
to microdia
I'm using Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS in an Acer Aspire 5051 latpot with an
integrated webcam (0c45:6260 Microdia PC Camera (SN9C201 +
OV7670ISP) ). The camera works, but the image has very bad quality,
see a sample in the next image:
http://yfrog.com/5y20101028005204j

I want to try to recompile the gspca module to see if the problem is
fixed, because in the last month there has been some activity in the
driver code:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/mchehab/linux-2.6.git;a=history;f=drivers/media/video/gspca/sn9c20x.c;h=6b155ae3a746e18d32c704fd773750f82b220a4b;hb=HEAD

What is the easiest way to download and recompile it?

Brian Johnson

Oct 27, 2010, 11:44:01 PM10/27/10
to micr...@googlegroups.com
Felix,

> What is the easiest way to download and recompile it?

The easiest way to recompile it would be to use the v4l-dvb mercurial
repository from http://linuxtv.org This is setup to allow compiling
v4l against your currently running kernel without having to compile
and install a new one. However they patches in question do not really
effect your issue. The poor image quality is likely due to a poor init
sequence for that sensor which has always been somewhat bad i believe.
I can try to create some patches to help fix that issue if you want to
test them out to see if they improve things or make them worse.

Brian Johnson

Ralph Spitzner

Oct 28, 2010, 4:31:55 AM10/28/10
to micr...@googlegroups.com
Felix wrote:
> I'm using Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS in an Acer Aspire 5051 latpot with an
> integrated webcam (0c45:6260 Microdia PC Camera (SN9C201 +
> OV7670ISP) ). The camera works, but the image has very bad quality,
> see a sample in the next image:
> http://yfrog.com/5y20101028005204j

This image isn't bad. Your software just applied the wrong filters :-P

No need to recompile anything, just user other capture software, or use
the right preferences/settings.

-rasp

--
"Ubuntu" -- an African word...

Felix

Oct 28, 2010, 4:36:36 AM10/28/10
to microdia
I've tried to change configurations and filters (saturation, hue,
brightness...) and nothing changes.
Is there any standarized way to try the camera? I mena, run an
application with minimum parameters to avoid filters and wrong configs
and check the image quality.

Javier Paniagua

Oct 28, 2010, 5:01:12 AM10/28/10
to micr...@googlegroups.com
I finally got hold of a 'microdia-blessed' acer. Same model as Felix's.

So... which are the correct 'filters'? I didn't ask cheese to apply any filters, for example. It comes out in nice shades of bright green and pink.. for all applications I can think of. Something isn't working the way it should here, that's for sure.

--
Lets make microdia webcams plug'n play, (currently plug'n pray)

Ralph Spitzner

Oct 28, 2010, 5:38:57 AM10/28/10
to micr...@googlegroups.com
Felix wrote:
> I've tried to change configurations and filters (saturation, hue,
> brightness...) and nothing changes.
> Is there any standarized way to try the camera? I mena, run an
> application with minimum parameters to avoid filters and wrong configs
> and check the image quality.

Well, I have a:
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 045e:00f4 Microsoft Corp. LifeCam VX-6000
(SN9C20x + OV9650)

Connected.

kopete or skype give me a correct preview, I'm just about to compile
cheese but have to get valac in the first place.
Be back in a sec ;-P

Ralph Spitzner

Oct 28, 2010, 6:00:42 AM10/28/10
to micr...@googlegroups.com
Felix wrote:
> I've tried to change configurations and filters (saturation, hue,
> brightness...) and nothing changes.
> Is there any standarized way to try the camera? I mena, run an
> application with minimum parameters to avoid filters and wrong configs
> and check the image quality.

Sorry, for my preemtivness, but on trying to compile cheese I
discovered, not only valac, but a whole lot of midget^w gnome
is required to run chess.
So, sorry.

what does skype show ?
What kernel are you running ?
What does dmesg tell you, when you (re)connect the camera ?

I'm trying to help, but I won't refurbish the whole place
for 1 (one) application....

israel katz

Oct 29, 2010, 5:36:52 AM10/29/10
to micr...@googlegroups.com
I do not know if recompiling shall help you.
I did have TEAC camera 1.3MB it gave better picture than yours. And I
did it on UBUNTU 9.04. now I am using UBUNTU 10.04 with chip camera
A4TECH with very good resolution and microphone. The OS does not
require any recompilations. Its easy and nice. The price does is not
worth the work put with each kernel upgrading.
Shall do my best to help you anyway.

> --
> Lets make microdia webcams plug'n play, (currently plug'n pray)

Israel 1234

Felix

Oct 29, 2010, 9:34:56 AM10/29/10
to microdia
I've tried skype and this is the result:
http://yfrog.com/n1screenshotkcp

I can also try to sniff the init sequence with some king of usb
sniffing tool in windows if it can help.

srael katz -> The webcam in integrated in the laptop frame, so I
prefer to use it and not carry another gadget in the suitcase. Thanks
for the suggestion.