About Mint Gloria and compatibility vis a vis Microdia etc.

kesava

Oct 14, 2009, 9:48:22 PM10/14/09
to microdia
Dear Friends,
I have been trying to find a Linux OS almost similar in ease of use
compared to Win XP with good driver support.I found front runners in
Ubuntu,Suse but Mint has an overall edge.Linux Mint 7, codename
Gloria, based and compatible with Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope and its
repositories is a choice I recommend.I was able to install my Microdia
clone web cam using the directions listed in "testing-microdia-driver-
draft" and whizzed through the process.Before that had installed Skype
2 on my Mint Gloria without video support.As soon as my web cam was
shown operative through dmesg the video part of Skype was functional
like on WinXP with no hassles.Only don't forget # strip -g sn9c20x.ko
# mkdir -p /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/media/video/
usbvideo/
# cp sn9c20x.ko /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/media/video/
usbvideo/
# depmod -a to ensure it works even after system has been shut down
and on a re-boot.
Cheers and Enjoy.
kesava.