mplayer & vlc work fine, skype recently started crashing

Gijs Hillenius

Mar 31, 2010, 6:48:11 AM3/31/10
to microdia
Hi folks

Debian Unstable user, Microdia webcam, been using this module ever
since it was developed by the fine folks here,

and even today, Mplayer and VLC work fine with the webcam in my laptop, like so:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so mplayer tv:// -tv
driver=v4l2:width=640:height=480:fps=25:device=/dev/video0 -vo x11

but I have a new issue with Skype, that first showed up this week. I
bet some library in Debian was updated, and I'm trying to nail down
which one.

If I run

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

it would work flawlessly untill sometime this week... Now, as soon as
video is involved, Skype crashes, leaving only this in the syslog:

sn9c20x: Set 640x480

If I run it without the LD_PRELOAD, the video does not work, but I'll
get the same message in syslog.

Anybody any idea why this appeared ? And what I can do to fix it?

Gijs Hillenius

Mar 31, 2010, 6:58:33 AM3/31/10
to microdia
Ah, am i also confused about which driver I am actually using?
gspca_sn9c20x from Debian 's Linux-image 2.6.32-3-686. I'm guessing
this not from this group anymore, but from linuxtv.org.

sorry.

Gijs Hillenius

Mar 31, 2010, 7:00:18 AM3/31/10
to microdia
Or not. strings
/lib/modules/2.6.32-3-686/kernel/drivers/media/video/gspca/gspca_sn9c20x.ko
shows description=GSPCA/SN9C20X USB Camera Driver
author=Brian Johnson <bri...@gmail.com>, microdia project <microdia@googlegroup
s.com>

Hm

Josua Grawitter

Mar 31, 2010, 7:11:12 AM3/31/10
to micr...@googlegroups.com
The mainstream-kernel driver (you are using) is basically a completely rewritten version of the microdia driver on top of gspca.

We hoped to provide some level of support for it here. That's why both, this group and the actual author Brian Johnson (who in fact also contributed to our stand-alone driver) are attributed.

Nevertheless gspca is the group you should be talking to. Our group is very much inactive. (Purpose served, the driver is there...)

Good luck,
GWater

Gijs Hillenius

Apr 1, 2010, 3:06:31 AM4/1/10