Dead Microclient blinks taunting me!!!

KMDDesign

Nov 9, 2010, 9:36:22 AM11/9/10
to MicroClient
A few months back I woke up to find my MicroClient bricked with only
the power LED flashing. So I asked around and didn't get much reply.

In the end I returned it and a new box was sent out, no mentioan of
what the problem was however.

Now 6 months later the very same thing has happened to the
replacement.

I have shorted the batery a few time to see if a BIOS reset braught
any life to the machine but to no avail.

Does anyone have any ideas?? Has this happened to anyone else??

Thanks,
Kieran

ScottyGN

Nov 10, 2010, 12:59:33 AM11/10/10
to MicroClient
Did the power supply change with the boxes? Might be something related
to an unstable power supply.

Jon Kjellin

Nov 10, 2010, 1:39:29 AM11/10/10
to KMDDesign, micro...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I had the same problem with my MicroClient Sr from Norhtec, for me it was the power supply that was broken. The supply wasn't able to deliver more current than needed to flash the LED. I tested it by measuring the output voltage before and after connecting a resistive load (the load corresponded to less then half the rated output power), with the load connected the output voltage fell below 1 v so I considered it as broken. I bought a new power supply and then the MicroClient worked again. I believe that the power supply is a bit weak if all the USB ports are constantly used, a friend of me had the same problem as well and that was also solved with a new power supply. I bought a standard stabilized 5v 5A supply and used the connector from the old supply to connect (I had to measure to get the polarity of the cable correct).

Hope that this can help you

/Jon

KMDDesign

Nov 17, 2010, 6:06:57 AM11/17/10
to MicroClient
Thanks Jon, and Scotty,

You were both right. I wired up a new 5V 5A supply and she fired up
good as new!

Cheers,
Kieran