ebox3300 Kernel in files area

Andrew

Nov 10, 2009, 1:03:43 PM11/10/09
to MicroClient
Hi all,

I uploaded a new ebox3300 kernel to the files area. Split into two
files. Unpack from your root directory, all the files should drop into
the right spot. Here are the urls:

http://groups.google.com/group/microclient/web/ebox3300_linux-2.6.31.6-MyVortex86_boot.tar.gz
http://groups.google.com/group/microclient/web/ebox3300_linux-2.6.31.6-MyVortex86_lib.tar.gz

The kernel includes framebuffer support, vesa console modes, pcspkr
compiled as a module, ide for the older ebox and ata2 for the newer
driver.

Regrettably, AFAIK it only works in LEGACY mode on newer ebox3300
(device id 1011). I will create a page describing my kernel changes.
If anyone gets NATIVE mode working, then please share your code.

later,
Andrew.

pqa

Nov 10, 2009, 7:32:06 PM11/10/09
to MicroClient
It works (almost), thanks.

It boots without any problem but only if I have the network off. do
you have any ideia why this happens? Bad network driver?

It gives lots of errors ... 296.375969 <c1002bb5> syscall_call+0x7/0xb
and then hangs up.

On 10 Nov, 18:03, Andrew <and...@howlett.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I uploaded a new ebox3300 kernel to the files area. Split into two
> files. Unpack from your root directory, all the files should drop into
> the right spot. Here are the urls:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/microclient/web/ebox3300_linux-2.6.31....http://groups.google.com/group/microclient/web/ebox3300_linux-2.6.31....

Andrew

Nov 10, 2009, 8:51:14 PM11/10/09
to MicroClient
On Nov 10, 7:32 pm, pqa <ph...@netcabo.pt> wrote:

> It boots without any problem but only if I have the network off. do
> you have any ideia why this happens? Bad network driver?

I don't know. I boot every time with network attached. In CMOS is your
IDE Interface set to LEGACY or NATIVE?

If you post the results of these two commands I might understand the
problem better.

# cat /proc/cpuinfo
# lspci -k -vvv

thanks,
andrew.

Brian

Nov 11, 2009, 8:00:06 AM11/11/09
to MicroClient
The good news:
1. I can now turn off the pcspkr with a simple line addition to /etc/
modprobe.d/blacklist.conf with a line in the file "blacklist pcspkr".
2. I like the vesa boot mode fonts look much better.
3. I had no network problems.

The bad news:
1. Now my usplash doesn't work. I have a black screen with a flash of
super large text right before gdm loads. The black screen is a great
improvement over looking at the boot loader text but usplash is better
because it provides feedback on the status of the boot.
2. My usb camera still is not getting automatically turned into /dev/
video1

I am still digging around for the webcam stuff and will post
separately for that.

On Nov 10, 11:03 am, Andrew <and...@howlett.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I uploaded a new ebox3300 kernel to the files area. Split into two
> files. Unpack from your root directory, all the files should drop into
> the right spot. Here are the urls:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/microclient/web/ebox3300_linux-2.6.31....http://groups.google.com/group/microclient/web/ebox3300_linux-2.6.31....

Brian

Nov 11, 2009, 9:02:27 AM11/11/09
to MicroClient
Update on usplash problem:
I changed my /etc/usplash.conf to have xres=640 and yres=480 ran an
update-initramfs -u and now it is working for shutdown but not boot.

On Nov 11, 6:00 am, Brian <brian_f_john...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The good news:
> 1. I can now turn off the pcspkr with a simple line addition to /etc/
> modprobe.d/blacklist.conf with a line in the file "blacklist pcspkr".
> 2. I like the vesa boot mode fonts look much better.
> 3. I had no network problems.
>
> The bad news:
> 1. Now my usplash doesn't work. I have a black screen with a flash of
> super large text right before gdm loads. The black screen is a great
> improvement over looking at the boot loader text but usplash is better
> because it provides feedback on the status of the boot.
> 2. My usb camera still is not getting automatically turned into /dev/
> video1
>
> I am still digging around for the webcam stuff and will post
> separately for that.
>
> On Nov 10, 11:03 am, Andrew <and...@howlett.net> wrote:
>

> > Hi all,
>
> > I uploaded a new ebox3300 kernel to the files area. Split into two
> > files. Unpack from your root directory, all the files should drop into
> > the right spot. Here are the urls:
>
> >http://groups.google.com/group/microclient/web/ebox3300_linux-2.6.31........
>
> > The kernel includes framebuffer support, vesa console modes, pcspkr
> > compiled as a module, ide for the older ebox and ata2 for the newer
> > driver.
>
> > Regrettably, AFAIK it only works in LEGACY mode on newer ebox3300
> > (device id 1011). I will create a page describing my kernel changes.
> > If anyone gets NATIVE mode working, then please share your code.
>
> > later,
> > Andrew.- Hide quoted text -

Brian

Nov 11, 2009, 9:37:13 AM11/11/09
to MicroClient
usplash problem fixed. I reinstalled startupmanager, switched to a
different theme (and then after reboot to the original) exited and now
it is working again. Now back to the cameras.

Jack

Nov 11, 2009, 12:11:19 PM11/11/09
to MicroClient
Hi Brian,

Thanks for the post. I've been attempting to get 2.6.31 compiled and
running but after booting the system hangs waiting for the root
filesystem. Is there any way you could post your .config file so I
can see how you built your kernel?

Thanks in advance,

Jack

On Nov 10, 12:03 pm, Andrew <and...@howlett.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I uploaded a new ebox3300 kernel to the files area. Split into two
> files. Unpack from your root directory, all the files should drop into
> the right spot. Here are the urls:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/microclient/web/ebox3300_linux-2.6.31....http://groups.google.com/group/microclient/web/ebox3300_linux-2.6.31....

Brian

Nov 11, 2009, 6:43:09 PM11/11/09
to MicroClient
Hi Jack,

Andrew is actually the person doing the kernel builds on that version
and I am simply providing him with testing and information to get
things done in general and specifially for what I am trying to
accomplish. If you downloaded the boot file (ebox3300_linux-2.6.31.6-
MyVortex86_boot.tar) you can find the config information in a file
called config-2.6.31.6-MyVortex86.

On Nov 11, 10:11 am, Jack <jmmcna...@me.com> wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> Thanks for the post.  I've been attempting to get 2.6.31 compiled and
> running but after booting the system hangs waiting for the root
> filesystem.  Is there any way you could post your .config file so I
> can see how you built your kernel?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jack
>
> On Nov 10, 12:03 pm, Andrew <and...@howlett.net> wrote:
>

> > Hi all,
>
> > I uploaded a new ebox3300 kernel to the files area. Split into two
> > files. Unpack from your root directory, all the files should drop into
> > the right spot. Here are the urls:
>
> >http://groups.google.com/group/microclient/web/ebox3300_linux-2.6.31........
>
> > The kernel includes framebuffer support, vesa console modes, pcspkr
> > compiled as a module, ide for the older ebox and ata2 for the newer
> > driver.
>
> > Regrettably, AFAIK it only works in LEGACY mode on newer ebox3300
> > (device id 1011). I will create a page describing my kernel changes.
> > If anyone gets NATIVE mode working, then please share your code.
>
> > later,

Pedro Quaresma de Almeida

Nov 25, 2009, 6:18:11 PM11/25/09
to micro...@googlegroups.com
I managed to have my system working, after a completely new Debian install
with the minimal set of packages (no desktop environment).

The network was working perfectly.

Then I decided to install kde

and then the network stops working...

after removing all the kde stuff, and more stuff, and more stuff ... the
network begins to work again...

It seems that the problem was with the "avahi" (or the powerdev) packages.

Any thoughs?

I will try gnome now, and if the package avahi (my main suspect) gets in again
I will begin by removing it.

cat /proc/cpuinfo

processor : 0
vendor_id : Vortex86 SoC
cpu family : 5
model : 2
model name : 05/02
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 1000.029
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu tsc cx8
bogomips : 2000.05
clflush size : 32
power management:

lspci -k -vvv

00:00.0 Host bridge: RDC Semiconductor, Inc. Device 6021 (rev 02)
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle+ MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
<TAbort- <MAbort+ >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 0

00:03.0 VGA compatible controller: XGI Technology Inc. (eXtreme Graphics
Innovation) Volari Z7 (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Subsystem: XGI Technology Inc. (eXtreme Graphics Innovation) Volari Z7
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Kernel driver in use: sisfb

00:07.0 ISA bridge: RDC Semiconductor, Inc. Device 6031 (rev 02)
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle+ MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
<MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 0

00:08.0 Ethernet controller: RDC Semiconductor, Inc. R6040 MAC Controller
Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 64 (750ns min, 2000ns max)
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11
Region 0: I/O ports at de00 [size=256]
Region 1: Memory at fefbbc00 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256]
Expansion ROM at fefa0000 [disabled] [size=64K]
Kernel driver in use: r6040
Kernel modules: r6040

00:0c.0 IDE interface: RDC Semiconductor, Inc. Device 1011 (rev 01) (prog-if
8a [Master SecP PriP])
Subsystem: RDC Semiconductor, Inc. Device 1011
Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr-
Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 64, Cache Line Size: 16 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 14
Region 0: I/O ports at 01f0 [size=8]
Region 1: I/O ports at 03f4 [size=1]
Region 2: I/O ports at 0170 [size=8]
Region 3: I/O ports at 0374 [size=1]
Region 4: I/O ports at ef00 [size=16]
Kernel driver in use: pata_it821x

--
Pedro Quaresma
Coimbra, Portugal

tambuto

Dec 10, 2009, 4:38:41 PM12/10/09
to MicroClient
tnx for me in a minimal config debiant etc 5.0 it works! ebox 3300
first series.
no problem for now
regards