jrmx - sound in linux?

jose1711

Jan 16, 2011, 6:02:07 AM1/16/11
to MicroClient
hello, does anyone know how to make sound work on a microclient jrmx?
neither alsactl init nor ossdetect finds it, lspci lists is as 00:0e.0
Audio device: RDC Semiconductor, Inc. Device 3010 (rev 01) but looking
at drivers on attached cd, it looks like it might be realtek hd audio
chip.

thank you,

jose

Green Gadgets Ltd (Israel)

Jan 16, 2011, 6:11:45 AM1/16/11
to MicroClient
The sound in this model is HD Audio standard.
The HD Audio controller is RDC Semiconductor 3010.
The HD Audio Codec (codec is something different from controller) is
Realtek ALC262
You need the driver for the codec if I am not mistaken.
Yogev

jose1711

Jan 17, 2011, 4:45:12 PM1/17/11
to MicroClient
thank you yogev. unfortunately it's not clear to me what i'm supposed
to do now. i tried to load snd-hda-intel manually, then alsactl init
again and it was no different - still no sound detected. could you
please be more specific on steps that should follow?

cheers,

jose

On 16. Jan, 12:11 h., "Green Gadgets Ltd (Israel)"

Lazac

Jan 28, 2011, 4:09:47 AM1/28/11
to MicroClient
I am able to make sound from audio output of JrMX.
The following modules are automatically loaded by my kernel:

snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_hda_intel
snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm
snd_timer
snd
soundcore
snd_page_alloc

Then I use the following alsa utils to maximize the sound level:

amixer sset Master playback 100%
amixer sset PCM 100%

After, I can use, for example, "speaker-test -f 4000 -t sine"
to produce beep tone, but I think, "aplay" also works
on mp3 or wav files,
(My goal is to replace the buzzer with beep tones
from the audio output and a mini speaker, because
JrMX does not have internal buzzer)

My kernel is 2.6.32.8, that had been patched with JrDX patch,
but I think that patch has no effect on JrMX sound.
If the above kernel modules are not loaded automatically
by your kernel, then check if the modules are compiled
and they are under "/lib/modules/...", and try with "depmod -a"
command.

Laszlo

jose1711

Jan 29, 2011, 11:14:03 AM1/29/11
to MicroClient
Thank you Laszlo for your reply. my kernel is 2.6.32-5. i loaded the
modules manually via modprobe:

# lsmod | grep -e "sound\|snd"
snd_hda_intel 16747 0
snd_hda_codec_realtek 163350 0
snd_hda_codec 45794 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_hwdep 4022 1 snd_hda_codec
snd_pcm 46098 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_page_alloc 5021 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
snd_seq 35413 0
snd_timer 12292 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 3661 1 snd_seq
snd 34110 8
snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
soundcore 3294 1 snd

but apart from /dev/snd/seq and /dev/snd/timer no other special
devices (like /dev/dsp?) were created. also tried alsactl init or
alsamixer but both failed:
# alsactl init
alsactl: init:1743: No soundcards found...

# alsamixer
cannot open mixer: No such file or directory

i wonder if i should create the device manualy and if so then with
what major/minor number.

also can you please confirm that your soundcard has the same pci id as
mine?
# lspci | grep Audio
00:0e.0 Audio device: RDC Semiconductor, Inc. Device 3010 (rev 01)

thank you,

jose

Lazac

Jan 30, 2011, 4:39:38 PM1/30/11
to MicroClient
Dear Jose,
I can check my JrMX and answer the questions in several days.
However, I have just checked my kernel source code: I forget that
I applied a patch also for JrMX sound!!!
Visit www.deviceonchip.com page, and make a search
for "vortex86mx". You will find the kernel patch for sound
support. Probably that is what you need!
Laszlo

jose1711

Feb 1, 2011, 2:56:08 PM2/1/11
to MicroClient
Hello Laszlo,

thank you for the link to patch. I applied it manually versus 2.6.32,
rebooted but unfortunately the issue still persists. Tried loading the
modules manually but alsa still does not see anything.

Thank you again for your help,

Jose

On Jan 30, 10:39 pm, Lazac <mere...@elgi.hu> wrote:
> Dear Jose,
> I can check my JrMX and answer the questions in several days.
> However, I have just checked my kernel source code: I forget that
> I applied a patch also for JrMX sound!!!
> Visitwww.deviceonchip.compage, and make a search

Lazac

Feb 2, 2011, 4:52:59 AM2/2/11
to MicroClient
Hi,

Here is my output of "lspci | grep Audio" :

00:0e.0 Audio device: Unknown device 17f3:3010 (rev 01)

In my system (Debian 4, alsactl ver. 1.0.13.), alsactl has no
command "init".

alsamixer works fine.

The contents of my /dev/snd directory is:

crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 0 2011-01-31 09:31 controlC0
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 24 2011-01-31 09:31 pcmC0D0c
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 16 2011-02-02 09:20 pcmC0D0p
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 116, 33 2011-01-31 09:31 timer

I have no "/dev/dsp" device.

In "/proc/asound" i have some files and directories.
For example, I have a "/proc/asound/card0/codec#1"
file, begining with

"Codec: Realtek ALC262
Address: 1
...."

The file "/proc/asound/cards" contents is:

" 0 [ Generic ]: HDA-Interl - HD-Audio Generic
HD-Audio Generic at 0xfebdc000 irq 9"

Are you sure, that after making the patch, you restarted
with the updated kernel and modules?
The "On Chip HD Audio Control" is enabled in your BIOS setup?
Maybe you can make a try with Windows XP,
just to test the sound hardware.
The factory CD has an audio driver for Windows.

Laszlo

Green Gadgets Ltd (Israel)

Feb 2, 2011, 1:28:52 PM2/2/11
to MicroClient
Hi Jose,
I second Laszlo and also suggest you 2 things:
1) Check that Audio is enabled in BIOS
2) Try another OS and see if you get sound working. It could be that
you have a faulty unit and this is why the driver does not work. If
you try another OS, you will know whether it's a software or hardware
problem.
Yogev