Cheap network boxes

nicolas314

Sep 12, 2010, 4:04:48 PM9/12/10
to MicroClient
Hey MicroClient fans:
I recently got my hands on great little piece of hardware: a tiny
networked hard-disk adapter from Seagate called a freeagent dockstar.
This thing runs a 1.2GHz ARM-based processor using just 8W of power
(peak), 128 Mb of RAM, 3 USB 2.0 plugs and a Gbit connection. Think
NSLU2 but much beefier.
Good thing is: this box runs Debian perfectly. It also apparently runs
freeBSD, OpenWRT and other usual suspects. Best part is: this thing
now costs 25 euros in Europe!
I do believe there is a market for tiny appliances like this one,
especially when you can install a full-fledged OS like Debian and run
whatever kind of service that would benefit from a Gbit link and three
hard disks, especially for such a low price. My last keyboard was more
expensive.
-- Nicolas

Bart N.

Sep 12, 2010, 5:38:42 PM9/12/10
to MicroClient
That sounds very interesting, Nicolas. How did you get it to boot an
alternative OS? Does it boot from the HDD or USB stick, if suitably
prepared?

Regards,

Bart

nicolas314

Sep 12, 2010, 6:29:26 PM9/12/10
to Bart N., MicroClient
Hi Bart:

The box comes with its own 256Mb of flash memory to store the firmware, but I did not want to touch it. Just wanted to be sure there is at least one bootable OS in case I mess things up. The only thing I did was disable the proprietary software as indicated here:
http://ahsoftware.de/dockstar/

Once you have ssh access to the box, you plug in additional storage like a USB drive and you can install a complete OS on it. There are a few steps to modify the bootloader to search for the first bootable drive plugged into USB and if nothing is found it reverts to the default firmware.

I actually blogged about this here:
http://nicolas314.wordpress.com/2010/09/12/always-online-appliance/

--
Nicolas <nicol...@gmail.com>