Input file for STAMP

kkalya...@gmail.com

Jun 17, 2022, 10:10:03 AM6/17/22
to Microbiome Helper
Hello everyone.
I need help in preparing the profile file for STAMP. I need to prepare the .txt file. I encountered several errors. I am attaching the sample file. Kindly help.
 I would like to know if the blank taxa have to be written as unclassified.
It would be really nice if I could get access to a demo input file that has worked.
Regards
DEMO.txt

Andre Comeau

Jun 17, 2022, 10:57:08 AM6/17/22
to Microbiome Helper
Yes, all lines/columns/cells have to be completely filled in order for the file to work. You also have an error that your sample1 number is missing for the first line/taxon.

What are you using to analyze your sequences? Our SOPs/QIIME2 should be generating a feature table that is compatible with STAMP, as long as you follow the small extra step of running the scripts in the STAMP directions: https://github.com/LangilleLab/microbiome_helper/wiki/STAMP-preparation

A file for STAMP is going to look something like this:

Level_1 Level_2 Level_3 Level_4 Level_5 Level_6 Level_7 A20723 A20901 A30723 A40723 B10901 B20901 C10901 C20901
d__Bacteria p__Cyanobacteria c__Cyanobacteriia o__Chloroplast f__Chloroplast g__Chloroplast s__Melosira_varians 7572 5 906 1048 0 0 0 0
d__Bacteria p__Cyanobacteria c__Cyanobacteriia o__Chloroplast f__Chloroplast g__Chloroplast Unclassified 0 0 0 0 50 23 5045 1122
d__Bacteria p__Cyanobacteria c__Cyanobacteriia o__Cyanobacteriales f__Phormidiaceae g__Tychonema_CCAP_1459-11B Unclassified 0 596 0 0 0 0 0 0
d__Bacteria p__Cyanobacteria c__Cyanobacteriia o__Chloroplast f__Chloroplast g__Chloroplast s__Spirogyra_pratensis 0 0 0 0 255 156 0 0

Alternatively, the "Level_1" labels, etc. should be able to be exchanged for your "real" labels of Domain, Phylum, etc.

ANDRÉ M. COMEAU, PhD
Manager  Integrated Microbiome Resource (IMR)
T: 902.494.2684 | E: andre....@dal.ca

Address for deliveries:
Dept. of Pharmacology
Tupper Med. Bldg., room 5D
Dalhousie University
5850 College St.
Halifax NS B3H 4R2

Research Associate (Lab Manager)

Morgan Langille Lab  Dept. of Pharmacology
ResearchGate Profile GoogleScholar Publications

"Without fantasy, there is no science. Without fact, there is no art." - Nabokov
"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Jun 17, 2022, 11:11:01 AM6/17/22
to microbio...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your prompt reply.I will make tge required changes and update my progress.
Regards

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Microbiome Helper" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/microbiome-helper/QB1PR01MB365093F21E8029A803550C77FDAF9%40QB1PR01MB3650.CANPRD01.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM.

kalyani karandikar

Jun 18, 2022, 1:51:52 AM6/18/22
to microbio...@googlegroups.com
Hello Andre,
 I modified the file as suggested by you. Now I am getting an error- Data does not form a strict hierarchy. Child s__ has multiple parents eg(g__Enterococcus, g__ streptococcus).
Kindly advise on how to resolve this issue.
Thanks in advance

--
Kalyani Karandikar
Ph.D. Student

Andre Comeau

Jun 20, 2022, 9:21:54 AM6/20/22
to microbio...@googlegroups.com
Yes, you cannot have the same named cells at Level7 (or any level) for different genera at Level6 (ie: all strings down to the final level must be completely unique).

If you have species "s__" (which is nothing/unclassified) in more than one genus above in L6, then it thinks "s__" is polyphyletic and it can't handle it.

In the example in your email: you would need to have "s__Unclassified_Enterococcus" and "s__Unclassified_Streptococcus" at L7 for it to work.
In the example in the table below: you would need to have "s__Unclassified_Chloroplast" and "s__Unclassified_Tychonema" at L7 for it to work.

This is why I mentioned the STAMP preparation scripts below in my previous email as there is one there (fix_spf.py) that looks for these hierarchy problems and tries to fix them (it usually finds most of them, the rest can be fixed manually as above).