determine mean read depth

Brian Simison

Mar 15, 2022, 4:42:48 PM3/15/22
to Microbiome Helper
Hello,
I have used the Microbiome_helper scripts and pipeline (Amplicon SOP v2 (qiime2 2020.8)) to analyze our microbiome data (16S). A reviewer has asked us for our final mean read depth. I have looked at my rarefaction data, summary tables, etc in QIIME 2 View and I have looked at my many .qzv files and I cannot find this information.
Which analysis produces this info?

I hope to rewrite something like:
In total, 1,351 unique ASVs were observed, with a mean read depth of X sequences across 442 samples.

thank you,

Brian Simison

Mar 15, 2022, 5:09:38 PM3/15/22
to Microbiome Helper
Does "Frequency per sample" mean read depth?

Freq_per_sample.png

Andre Comeau

Mar 15, 2022, 5:14:05 PM3/15/22
to Microbiome Helper
Yes, exactly. In QIIME2 speak, "features" are ASVs and then their "frequencies" are read depths...either for the ASVs themselves or for the samples. So that table is showing you the min/max/average read depths for your samples. Normally you would have also subsampled in step 8 to a certain number for the diversity calculations (so you can report both).

ANDRÉ M. COMEAU, PhD
Manager  Integrated Microbiome Resource (IMR)
T: 902.494.2684 | E: andre....@dal.ca

Address for deliveries:
Dept. of Pharmacology
Tupper Med. Bldg., room 5D
Dalhousie University
5850 College St.
Halifax NS B3H 4R2

Research Associate (Lab Manager)

Morgan Langille Lab  Dept. of Pharmacology
ResearchGate Profile GoogleScholar Publications

"Without fantasy, there is no science. Without fact, there is no art." - Nabokov
"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Mar 16, 2022, 2:58:11 PM3/16/22
to Microbiome Helper
Thank you so much!