ETA for 1.0?

1 view

Michel S.

Oct 17, 2007, 3:27:37 AM10/17/07
to micmatch
Hi Martin,

Will there be a new release that is compatible with O'Caml 3.10 soon?
I'd be happy to help test any pre-release version -- I'm new to the
language, and would like to use a sane regular-expression syntax. My
Linux distribution (Fedora, development version) already comes with
O'Caml 3.10, so I'm waiting for GODI to finish building right now.

The reason I'm looking at PCRE-based regexp matchers is that I'm
porting some code to JoCaml, and doing pattern-matching in parallel --
discovering in the process that Str's pattern matcher is not thread-
safe! The only JoCaml release is version 3.10, so I'm not sure if it
can run on top of 3.09.

If a 3.10-compatible version is still a bit remote, would you happen
to know of any good documentation on PCRE-ocaml? The code examples are
not very comprehensive.

Thanks,

--
Michel S.

Martin Jambon

Oct 17, 2007, 1:35:17 PM10/17/07
to Michel S., micmatch

Thanks Michel for your interest in micmatch.
I still don't have very clear plans on when to upgrade micmatch.
There are several options, and the problem is camlp4, which means writing
a specific version of micmatch for 3.10, and dropping support for 3.09
and camlp5 (which is the 3.09-compatible version of camlp4 proposed by
Daniel de Rauglaudre, who is the original author of camlp4 but left the
OCaml development group a few years ago and is back to ocaml programming).

You're not the first one to ask this question, and we'll have to make a
decision, because we use micmatch at work (wink.com) and sooner or later
we will switch to ocaml 3.09.

Possible plans include:
- evaluate camlp5 and see if it is possible to take its development over
in case Daniel doesn't maintain it any longer
- write documentation for camlp4 3.10 and choose it for future
developments.

Martin

--
http://wink.com/profile/mjambon