MW: Senate subcommittee passes out DEQ budget with more cuts and without funding for the wetland program

TJ Patrick

Jun 15, 2009, 8:08:08 AM6/15/09
to spotted salamander, envir...@great-lakes.net, Michigan Wetlands
Enough is enough. The Senate approps subcommitte passed out 10% more
in straight cuts to the DEQ budget and no money for the wetland
program. (See articles below that were posted to the Michigan
Wetlands group.) The state budget situation is terrible, but as you
all should know, funding for environmental protection has been
disproportionally hit under this administration and legislature and
the DEQ is struggling to keep its programs functioning.

It appears that the business community is already being heard. The
next couple of weeks are critical for environmental groups to speak up
to keep the Wetland Protection statute and funding for the wetland
program, and to stop additional cuts to the DEQ and environmental
protection in Michigan.