Invitation to Paradise Lost

Michael Barakiva

Mar 23, 2021, 5:41:44 PM3/23/21
to Michael Barakiva's friends
Dear Friends,
I'm writing to invite you to witness the culmination of a decade of work, my adaptation of John Milton's Paradise Lost (in two parts! just like Angels In America!)  presented by Red Bull Theatre Mondays, April 12th (Part I - The Fall of Lucifer) and April 26th (Part II - Eve and Adam) at 7:30PM EST. Click here for your free tickets! And if that's not enough Paradise Lost for you, we'll be having a discussion of the readings on Thursday, April 29th at 7:30PM EST. I know that Zoom theatre is the Splenda of live performance, but you can play it in the background as you knit or gardened. Or drank.

It's an extraordinary cast, featuring Stephen Bel Davies, Sheldon Best, Gisela Chipe, Robert Cuccioli, , Carol Halstead, Gregory Linington, Daniel José Molina, Sam Morales, Howard Overshown, Cherie Corinne Rice and more!

The text is 98% Milton, but I have cut and re-arranged the hell out of it, and let's be real - you probably haven't read the poem start to finish so it's not like you'll even appreciate all the hard work and splicing of pentameter that I put into it.

My fascination with this poem started as an undergrad at Vassar, where I participated in a 24 hour reading in the chapel senior year.  Over ten years ago, the company that became The Upstart Creatures performed a day-long, 11-hour cut version of the poem.  Adapting it into a play is the culmination of my relationship with what is considered the most important piece of literature written in the English language and the only thing that will stop me from being depressed that it's happening online is if you attend.  Yes, you.  Clap harder if you want Tinkerbelle to live.

Hope to see you there and much love,
mb

image.png

If you'd like to order my books, check out my web page, follow me on insta or find me on twitter...

he/him/his (what’s this?)

Dietary restrictions: No eggplant, no garlic, light dairy.