MIAPA checklist under revision control

Hilmar Lapp

Aug 8, 2013, 12:15:03 PM8/8/13
to MIAPA
I have neglected to update the list here that as one of the outcomes of the Phylotastic hackathon in Tucson back in Feb we moved the MIAPA checklist from its original location on the TDWG wiki [1] to a version-controlled document on Github, in the main MIAPA repository [2] that also holds the ontology:

https://github.com/miapa/miapa/blob/master/checklist/MIAPA-checklist.md

Up until just now, there hasn't really been much further activity on the checklist. Spurred by a statement on data requirements for published trees [3] being drafted by the Open Tree of Life project, the checklist may see considerable refinement though in the near future.

Incidentally, a first pull request has already been issued (https://github.com/miapa/miapa/pull/18). While this one is (nearly) trivial in nature, it's a good moment to propose that this be the main mechanism for the community to weigh in on, comment on, or raise questions for changes. I don't necessarily expect every pull request to be copied to this list, so for everyone who wants to stay up on ongoing change requests, I'd suggest that you watch the repository. We can revisit after a while as to how well this is working for allowing the community to stay involved and to provide input on an ongoing basis.

Last but not least, as demonstrated by Karen (the author of the pull request), anyone can fork the repository and propose changes through a pull request.

BTW we could think about aliasing the checklist location to a PURL, possibly as a sub-PURL of the domain under which the ontology is [4], perhaps http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/miapa/checklist or something similar.

-hilmar

[1] http://wiki.tdwg.org/twiki/bin/view/Phylogenetics/MIAPADraft#Reconciled_draft_checklist
[2] https://github.com/miapa/miapa
[3] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/opentreeoflife/dSVQAoGKvxs
[4] http://purl.obolibrary.org/obo/miapa.owl
: Hilmar Lapp -:- Durham, NC -:- informatics.nescent.org :

Rutger Vos

Aug 8, 2013, 4:34:49 PM8/8/13
to Hilmar Lapp, MIAPA
Hi Hilmar, all,

thanks for the update, I think this is a great mechanism for refining it. Where do you think should be the community focus right now? For example, I see a stub script to check whether a nexml file is sufficiently annotated, but it sounds like predicates, objects, and the definition of what is sufficient is going to be a moving target for some time?

Rutger

Dr. Rutger A. Vos
Bioinformaticist
Naturalis Biodiversity Center
Visiting address: Office A109, Einsteinweg 2, 2333 CC, Leiden, the Netherlands
Mailing address: Postbus 9517, 2300 RA, Leiden, the Netherlands
http://rutgervos.blogspot.com

Hilmar Lapp

Aug 8, 2013, 4:50:16 PM8/8/13
to Rutger Vos, MIAPA

On Aug 8, 2013, at 4:34 PM, Rutger Vos wrote:

I see a stub script to check whether a nexml file is sufficiently annotated, but it sounds like predicates, objects, and the definition of what is sufficient is going to be a moving target for some time?

Yes, and that's at least as much if not more part of the MIAPA ontology. However, the statement being drafted by Open Tree should provide guidance.

-hilmar
signature.asc