'So diabolical and evil and subhuman': Family of slain woman shot dead while bound in Christmas lights lashes out at 2 black men sentenced in her murder

1 view

Leroy N. Soetoro

Jan 3, 2024, 2:18:47 PMJan 3
https://lawandcrime.com/crime/so-diabolical-and-evil-and-subhuman-family-
of-slain-woman-shot-dead-while-bound-in-christmas-lights-lashes-out-at-2-
men-sentenced-in-her-murder/

https://am21.mediaite.com/lc/cnt/uploads/2023/10/egypt-covington.jpeg

Two Michigan men were sentenced to prison after admitting to breaking into
the wrong side of a duplex to steal marijuana, but instead barging in on a
woman watching a movie, then tying her up in Christmas lights and fatally
shooting her.

Shandon Ray Groom, 30, and Timothy Eugene Moore, 37, both from Toledo,
Ohio, were sentenced on Thursday in the slaying of Egypt Covington, 27, a
singer and account manager, in a Wayne County duplex southwest of Detroit
in June 2017.

Groom was sentenced to 17 to 26 years in state prison after pleading
guilty to second-degree murder, prosecutors said. Moore was sentenced to
20 to 55 years after he pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and felony
firearms charges.

In court, the victim’s father, Chuck Covington, said the two deserve
death, the Detroit News reported.

“They hogtied — hogtied — my daughter with Christmas lights,” he said, the
paper reported. “They used a pillow, they used a pillow to muffle the
sound of the gun. They shot my daughter in the back of the head.”

The victim’s sister Jessica Covington pleaded with the judge to give the
men the maximum punishment.

“When we know that individuals are so diabolical and evil and subhuman, it
does not make sense to me that there is a chance that they will walk
amongst the rest of us free,” she said, Detroit’s Fox affiliate WJBK
reported.

A third man, Shane Lamar Evans, 34, was sentenced to 15 to 25 years in May
after pleading guilty earlier this year to second-degree murder. He had
agreed to testify against Moore and Groom.

Authorities said Evans worked at Covington’s complex. He knew her neighbor
and that this individual kept marijuana at their home. The person was
going out of town, so Evans planned on stealing the drugs when the place
was empty. Evans, Groom, and Moore drove together, prosecutors said. Evans
pointed out which door to the duplex to break into, and he stayed behind.

Groom and Moore entered through the wrong door into Covington’s place.
They tied her up in Christmas lights. Then Moore shot her in the head.

“I hurt you all, and I’m so sorry for what happened,” Evans told
Covington’s family in court during his sentencing, according to the
Detroit News. “I don’t know what to say. I pray for your forgiveness, but
I understand if you don’t forgive me, but I’m truly sorry.”

Evans “deserves nothing less than the maximum sentence allowed for my
daughter, for my family,” Chuck Covington said at the time.

Arbor Brewing, the company where Covington worked, created a beer, A Girl
Named Egypt, a hazy golden ale brewed with pink guava and lemongrass, in
honor of her “as a tribute to her love and passion for life.” The company
says proceeds from the sale of the beer will be donated to charities that
support music scholarships, animal welfare, and victims of domestic abuse.

“Egypt possessed an energy that inspired every life she touched,” the
website tribute reads. “She loved music and was quick to show compassion
to those less fortunate than her. We are proud to call her a friend. We
brewed this beer not only to honor her memory, but also to raise awareness
for issues that were important to her.”

--
We live in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so that
stupid people won't be offended.

Durham Report: The FBI has an integrity problem. It has none.

fiasco, President Trump.

queer liberal democrat donors.