172K without power in Michigan after winter storm dumps heavy snow, causes crashes

Leroy N. Soetoro

Jan 13, 2024, 5:42:58 PMJan 13
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/detroit-
city/2024/01/12/metro-detroit-weekend-storm/72201301007/

A winter storm dumped heavy snow on parts of the Lower Peninsula on
Friday, creating slick driving conditions blamed for multiple car crashes
across Metro Detroit and knocking out electricity to nearly 172,000
Michigan customers.

At 7 a.m. Saturday, DTE Energy was reporting more than 101,200 electric
customers without power in its southeast Michigan service area, while
Consumers Energy said more than 70,700 of its customers were without power
in other parts of the Lower Peninsula.

Snowfall estimates for southeast Michigan included up to 4 inches of
snowfall in Adrian, Detroit, Pontiac and Port Huron, according to the
National Weather Service.

"The heaviest precipitation has exited southeast Michigan, with a lull in
the winds as well," the weather service said late Friday night on X,
formerly Twitter. "Mainly light drizzle and light rain south of I-69 as
temperatures rise into the mid 30s to around 40 degrees."

The Michigan State Police's Second District, which oversees Oakland,
Macomb and Wayne counties, said Friday evening that troopers responded to
more than two dozen crashes Friday, and advised motorists to decrease
speeds, increase distance between vehicles and buckle up.

"Troops have handled 30 preventable crashes so far today. Mostly
violations of basic speed law. Slow down, increase your following distance
and buckle up," MSP said on X, formerly Twitter.

The National Weather Service has issued a blizzard warning for Otsego,
Montmorency, Crawford, Oscoda, Ogemaw, Cheboygan, Presque Isle, Alpena,
Alcona and Iosco counties from 5 p.m. Friday through 7 p.m. Saturday.

The National Weather Service cautioned motorists to "be prepared for
variable roads conditions."

"Total snow accumulations of 10 to 15 inches anticipated with localized
amounts of 18 inches possible," the weather service said. "Frequent wind
gusts of 35 to 50 mph expected this evening and tonight."

The warning added: "Travel could be very difficult to impossible during
this time. Widespread blowing snow is expected to lead to significantly
reduced visibilities for several hours. Significant drifting may lead to
some impassible secondary roadways. Strong winds could cause tree damage
and result in power outages."

The National Weather Service also issued winter storm warnings for other
areas across the state, including Grand Rapids, Traverse City, Lansing,
Kalamazoo, Mount Pleasant, Saginaw, Midland and the Upper Peninsula.

Parts of west Michigan could see 8-13 inches of snow.

The weather service in Grand Rapids said at 7 p.m., it measured 5.6 inches
of snow accumulation since 1 p.m., with 1.8 inches that fell since 6 p.m,
adding that lake-effect snow was expected to continue through the weekend.

"This is a denser, wetter snow than tomorrow's lake effect," the weather
service said.

Temperatures on Saturday in Grand Rapids were expected to top out in the
high 20s, with westerly wind gusts up to 40 mph.

Metro Detroit is under a weather advisory through Saturday due to possible
dangerous conditions with snow and strong winds, according to the National
Weather Service's station in White Lake Township.

Just before 7:30 p.m., the weather service predicted moderate to heavy
snow would continue north of Interstate 94, with decreasing intensity
south as some rain mixes in. Accumulation totals up to 3 inches could
occur through 10 p.m.

NWS expects the region's heaviest snow accumulation to fall Friday, with
possibilities of up to an inch of snow per hour, according to a social
media post from the weather service.

Residents in parts of Metro Detroit reported hearing thundersnow Friday
night, the National Weather Service's office in White Lake Township said.

Power outages across the area could occur with winds over 40 miles per
hour expected from Friday night into Sunday, the weather service said.

Residents can also expect wind chills driving colder temperatures Saturday
to drop below zero by Sunday amid arctic air.

To curtail the chilling temperatures, the city of Detroit announced Friday
that several respite locations and warming centers were available for use.
Recreation centers and public library branches, however, would be closed
Monday for the federal holiday, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, and would
reopen Tuesday, Mayor Mike Duggan's office said.

Four warming centers, the city said, would provide two meals, showers,
sleeping accommodations and housing assistance services to residents
experiencing homelessness.

A list of the warming centers and respite locations can be found here.

Consumers Energy is planning for a statewide impact from the high winds
and the 10-14 inches of wet, heavy snow expected along Lake Michigan's
shoreline, said Chris Laird, vice president of electric operations for the
Jackson-based utility.

"Winter is finally here for all of us," Laird said. "We know that it's
important to keep the lights on for Consumers Energy, for our customers.
We're going to do everything we can to get power back on as quickly and
safely as we can."

With 400 crews available from Grand Rapids to Bay City, the utility
company will prioritize hospitals, police and fire departments, water
treatment plants and broadcast media, he said.

Consumers Energy will work as quickly as possible to get to everyone
impacted, but restorations may take longer than anticipated as blizzard
conditions pose a risk to workers restoring power lines, Laird said.

Crews recently attended to an outage impacting more than 100,000
households, 99% of which they were able to restore within 24 hours of the
first reports, he said.

Keeping outages short remains a key goal for Consumers Energy through this
weekend, Laird said.

"This storm event is projected to last a little longer than other events
that we've had in the past," said Katie Carey, Consumers Energy's director
of external relations. "Once we get a lay of the land, then we'll be able
to better move crews where they need to go."

People should use caution and plan ahead by charging their devices,
staying 25 feet away from downed power lines and following safety warnings
with outdoor generators, Laird said.

DTE Energy also anticipates impacts across the company's full service
territory as temperatures dip, said Bill Hutchinson, the utility's
director of storm emergency preparedness and response.

"While we hope the impact to our system is limited, we've set up our
entire storm incident command to plan for the potential customer outages
as a result of the weather that I had mentioned," Hutchinson said.

Drivers should plan for slow commute times as untreated roads could become
slicker with less visibility, NWS Detroit said.

Residents and visitors on the road should also plan ahead as snowfall
accumulates, Michigan State Police said in a press release.

"Avoid travel if possible and check in on your vulnerable loved ones," MSP
Captain Kevin Sweeney said in the release. "Let’s all work together to
keep ourselves, families, friends and neighbors safe.”

People can prepare by planning ahead and checking car, household and
emergency equipment ahead of time, according to MSP.

Drivers should check their tire pressure, wiper blades and lights ahead of
a trip, along with bringing an emergency preparedness kit. They can also
prepare by avoiding travel or checking the weather and route ahead of
their destination, state police added.

Meanwhile, the weather is affecting other plans in southeast Michigan.

The Michigan Gaming Control Board canceled live horse races scheduled at
Northville Downs on Friday.

“The safety and well-being of the horses, jockeys, staff, and patrons are
of utmost priority,” MGCB Executive Director Henry Williams said in a
statement. “The forecasted snowstorm and its unpredictable nature can
generate numerous challenges that could compromise the integrity of the
races and the safety of our participants, so I have issued an order that
today’s races be cancelled due to the weather.”

Auburn Hills has declared a snow emergency through 8 a.m. Sunday, meaning
parking is prohibited on city streets to allow snow removal crews room to
clear the roads and neighborhoods.

The storm is also delaying until Jan. 16 the roadway restoration work that
had been slated to close several lanes and ramps on Interstate 696, the
Michigan Department of Transportation said.

Once the weather passes, westbound traffic on Interstate 696 will shift
over to the northbound M-10 Northwestern Highway starting Tuesday at 9
a.m.

Westbound I-696 will also shift to northbound M-10 and back on Jan. 17 at
9 a.m., after which the interstate will remain as two lanes until early
May, according to MDOT.

JAi...@detroitnews.com

--
We live in a time where intelligent people are being silenced so that
stupid people won't be offended.

Durham Report: The FBI has an integrity problem. It has none.

fiasco, President Trump.

queer liberal democrat donors.