John Trout (troutfishHolland) had a recent orchard walk

Prof. Kent

Jun 7, 2015, 3:14:23 PM6/7/15
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
John's latest video
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=husZLjkuSxA
had quite a few comments I wanted to pass along.
Sad thing about Youtube videos; once you watch them you don't see any comments posted after you watch it unless you go back and watch the video again, you are the original poster, or someone comments to your comment.
Comments included talk of Bonide (malathion) vs Imidan on plum curluio damage. Check it out, and check out John's video.

- Kent

I had bad curculio damage last year. I think I will try the Imidan this year. I need a walk-thru of the new hunting property! My tart cherries make GREAT cherry jam/jelly. Your Honeycrisp that stopped growing: cut one in half at a curculio cut (if there is one). See if the curc caused the death of the fruit;othersiwise it would be failure to pollenate.
· 1

+Prof.Kent Thanks Kent.  Curculio will destroy this orchard if fireblight doesn't.  I'm telling you, I would spray Bonide and literally watch curculio feasting on my apples the following evening.  Imidan isn't a gentle insecticide, but it's necessary until at least mid-summer.  At that point maybe Seven would do the trick?You think I need to get a crabapple back in the orchard for pollination?  I had a lot of fruitlets the size of a nickel that just stopped growing.  I pitted a cup of those cherries with sugar and heated to boiling for five minutes.  Chilled and wow!  I'm thinking I need to plant a couple more north stars!Deer property video?  You got it!
·

+John Trout I have read that Sevin works better on Japanese beetles than Imidan, but not to use Sevin until apples are 12mm diameter or it will cause thinning of the fruit. So yes, Sevin is better for JB's. I think the Bonide (Malathion) works well on JBs and I have about 4 bottles to use up. Two reasons for frutlets to stop growing; non-pollination and curculio damage. I would think you have plenty of pollen available. Maybe you are low on bees or wet weather stopped the bees from pollinating? I have a "Catching a bee swarm" video coming. What fun Dale and I have!
·

Good seeing you !! and things are looking real nice. what is your pH at the blue berry's? with all the dutch clover around i would assume that your soil is alkaline. i mulch with loads of coffee grounds.  i get at the local convenience store , had the best crop i have ever had last year with them, they do not cohabit with lime stone soil .
·

+john parker not really sure john.  I do put down a soil acidifier in early spring just to keep things honest.  White Dutch is going in my deer food plots in the future.  That's a clover that wants to grow!  I also put down a pre-emergent herbicide and I'm worried about two of the plants.  Either they were waterlogged or they didn't care for the herbicide around them.
·

Nice job on the apple grafting! I found that I really had apple maggot troubles where two apples touch each other. So now I thin to only one fruit per cluster. It's amazing how much cutting back apple trees, and many other fruit trees, can take and still produce! Have you ever tried the nylon footies on your apples? They are a growing thing here in Oregon's Willamette Valley for home growers, and I've had good luck with them on apples and pears. I've used them alone, but other folks I know dip the footies in clay (Surround is one brand) first. That may not be practical for giant orchards, but it looks like your operation would be manageable. I don't know whether folks have used them to stop cuculio; our major pests are apple maggots and codling moths.
·

I got a few paw paw seeds that were in fruit that my dad picked up in the woods.  I planted them and ended up with 7 trees last year.  I gave two away and still have 5 of them  in 3 gallon pots.  Do I need a second variety for them to set fruit?  Should I plant them in full sun?  I only want to plant one or two and give away the rest.  Thanks in advance.
·

+adrianrog Here is my limited knowledge of pawpaw.  If you start the trees in full sun, they should continue to grow in full sun.  Dragging trees out of a partial shade environment to full sun usually leads to problems.  Your trees are seed grown, so each tree is unique and different and will pollinate others.  No problem there.  Great questions.  Thanks for asking.
·

+John Trout Thanks so much for the reply, I appreciate it.  I'm just trying to decide whether to plant them in the ground or leave them in containers for another year.  The containers get hot here in GA.
·

I had to look up curculio because I hadn't heard of it.  Funky looking critters!
·

+stampified Curculio looks ugly and leaves an ugly scar on our fruit that no one wants to see when they purchase.  Fortunately, if a grower is paying some attention, much of the curculio damage is mitigated and the fruit is still edible come September.  Thanks for watching!
·