What are these bumps on my Chestnut trees?

MrWhitetail

Jun 12, 2017, 12:50:06 AM6/12/17
to MI Home Orchard
Hopefully somebody can save me some time researching this. I think I need to check my apple trees to see if they have any of these.

Prof. Kent

Jun 13, 2017, 6:21:55 PM6/13/17
to MI Home Orchard
I've never seen it on apples before. It is either a twig canker disease or an insect borer. Try cutting into the canker and look for a worm. Otherwise it is a canker and all you can do is cut the diseased wood out and then disinfect your tools with 100% bleach.

MrWhitetail

Jun 24, 2017, 10:59:16 PM6/24/17
to MI Home Orchard
I cut off some of these bumps and all I found was empty capsules with white powder on the stem under them. I have these things all over my chestnut trees and on some of my young (but stressed) apple trees. I may check with the local MSU Extension office horticulturalist one of these days to see what they say.

Kent Eddy

Jun 25, 2017, 1:57:22 PM6/25/17
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Please let us know what you find out.