Bonide Fruit Tree Spray and Curculio

Prof. Kent

May 31, 2015, 10:29:11 PM5/31/15
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
I have sprayed with Bonide Fruit Tree Spray for 12 years and thought it was working great.
Last year curculio damaged 60-70% of my apple crop. I sprayed just before blossoms opened and just after petal fall as always.

Although I may be too late this year, I'm switching to an Imidan+Captan spray program.

------------------------------ I found this advice online ----------------------------

Spraying Plan : When to spray?, What to spray?:

First cover spray: tight cluster to pink,,apply Imidan 70wp + Captan 50wp, to control
and protect fruitletts from insect and scab damage.

Second cover spray: 90% petal fall, Imidan 70wp + Captan 50wp, high mating activity for Plum Curculio, Sawfly, Potato Leafhoppers, and Tarnish Plant Bugs. These are the major insects that do the most damage to newly formed apples. I can not stress enough the importance of doing a good job of spraying during this time. This is the most critical time if good yields are to be obtained. Following a 30 day period after petal fall, the population of these insects drops off significantly and the apples have
grown to sufficient size (thicker skin) by then to be less vulnerable of attack. I recommend the use of Captan 50wp throughout this period, as it is still the primary scab season.

3rd cover spray: 7 to 10 days: Imidan + Captan (compatible mix)

4th and 5th cover spray: 10 to 12 days intervals: Imidan + Captan

Around July 1st: Switch to Sevin XLR at the first sign of Japanese Beetles feeding in the orchard. Captan is no longer needed for trees planted for the intention of feeding wildlife.
Sevin is a thinning agent for apples, and a very good one for Honeycrisp. Sevin is only effective as a thinner from fruit set (just after petal fall) up until the apple is less than 12mm in diameter. By the time you spray for JB, Sevin no longer works as a thinner. Imidan provides only moderate control of JB. Japanese beetles have a penchant for Honeycrisp and may have to spray every 5 to 7 days for good suppression, and continue until JB populations start to subside. Do not use beetle traps. The female pheromone will attract male beetles for miles. So other than JB problems your spray program for wildlife should be completed by the 4th of July.

If growing a good crop of apples, of above medium quality, is your goal then this spraying plan should give you excellent results. Remember, a no spray plan will reduce yield, apple size, and the general health of the tree.

-------------------------------

For average " Joe The Fruit Tree Grower" for the control and suppression of most major insects the following non-restrictive insecticides may be used for farm plantings and commercial orchards. Imidan (by Gowan) , Avaunt (by Dupont) and, Calypso (by Bayer).Imidan is the cheapest, but I like to use Avaunt due to low toxicity to mammals and shorter REI (re-entry time) and is excellent for controlling Plum Curculio. Check with a local commercial grower to see if there is any state restrictions on these products.

For non-bearing trees, I recommend spray using a Imidan & Captan mix to promote healthy tree growth. Sevin XLR Plus is excellent for controlling Tent Caterpillars and too is non-restrictive. Sevin XLR Plus is a very effective thinning agent. Application just after fruit set will allow the King Blossom fruit to remain while aborting the smaller fruitlets. The take home message is to use Sevin early after fruit set, and only if thinning is desired. Use 30 days after petal fall, if needed as an insecticide, for controlling Japanese Beetles and Caterpillars.

Use 3 to 4 tablespoons of Imidan 70WP per gallon of water, and 3 to 4 tablespoons per gallon of water for Captan 50wp to your tank mix. Spray until chemical starts to drip for good coverage.

Bonide Fruit Tree Spray contains the insecticide malathion 6%, the fungicide Captan at 12%, and Carbaryl (better known as Sevin) at 3% concentration. This is a very weak mixture that offers some suppression of insect and fugal damage but at the expense of better fruit quality and yields. I compare it to trying to kill 100 flies on the kitchen counter with a single swat of a fly's swatter.

I purchase my chemicals through United Agi Products (UAP). The company was recently acquired by Crop Production Services and located in most states through the USA. http://www.uap.com/uap/index.cfm?cid=7662 Use your zip code and product search to find a dealer near you. If you have problems, let me know. I have a salesperson here in Vermont that I work with and will ask him where there is a dealer near you.

For a broad-spectrum insecticide ask your dealer if he carries Imidan and/or Avaunt. Both are very good choices for controlling insects. Imidan is cheaper, but is an organophosphate, so therefore requires more caution when handling. Avaunt is extremely effective, especially on Plum Curculio, but at a higher cost. Having a small commercial orchard, I prefer to alternate sprays for better efficacy and cost.
These products are non-restrictive here in Vermont, so do not require Applicator certification. You will need to check with your dealer to see if there is any State restrictions.

Captan, Imidan, & Carbaryl are compatible materials and can be mixed together. Captan is packaged in a 6.5lb bag in granular form. Imidan is packaged in a 4 – 1lb pouch. Sevin xlr comes in a 2.5 gallon container.

Developing a spray program for your apple tree plots is a very important step towards producing a productive orchard that will be the envy of surrounding landowners and bring hunting opportunity that was not thought possible. I know, I own one!

Brian Lynch

Jun 2, 2015, 5:29:52 PM6/2/15
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Is the Japanese Beetle pressure in your parts usually pretty bad? I haven't tried Imidan, but Malathion is listed in the "moderately effective" category with Imidan against the Japanese Beetles, and I'm fairly certain "moderately effective" is just a euphemism for "mostly worthless."

http://www.uky.edu/hort/sites/www.uky.edu.hort/files/pages-attachments/alternativecontrol.pdf

This year at my orchard I'm trying to go organic, which is just a fancy way of saying I'll be using pesticides that cost twice as much and are half as effective so I can sell fruit to people for twice the price. Regular applications of a mixture of thuricide, pyganic, and surround WP have so far kept the pest damage in check, but the real test is about to begin in a few weeks when the Japanese Beetles show up.

--Brian

Kent Eddy

Jun 2, 2015, 9:18:45 PM6/2/15
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com

Yes, the Japanese beetle pressure is always high here. JPs prefer  sandy soil for their larva stage, which I have in abundance. Bonide (malathion) worked for beetles but not for last year's plum curculio. Sevin works better on beetles but not to be used until apple fruitlets are 12 mm dia. or will cause thinning of fruit.

Good luck with the organic thing, Brian. I thought my apples looked organic last year when they were riddled with curculio tracks.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "MI Home Orchard" group.