Hello all.

james evans

Dec 4, 2013, 9:51:31 PM12/4/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Hello I currently have three young apple trees. Benham, Gala, and Red June apple trees. The coming spring I will be getting a Yarlington Mill and a Dabinette. Maybe a Le Bret as well.
 I have an apple pip garden that I started for grafting. I have a lot of coal mining strip roads around my house I am wanting to start planting wild trees around on for deer.
I tried some air layering this past year. I got a late start didn't get good roots started before it started freezing here. Not sure if these are going to make it or not.
I was wondering instead of Pay Pal for scion exchange I could send a SASE or box. I will mail what scions I can spare for free.

Prof. Kent

Dec 15, 2013, 12:07:45 AM12/15/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Nice to hear from you James. You must be a southern grower with those apple varieties.I hear Red June will sometimes give 2 crops per season in the south. I'd love to see that.
Scion exchanges can be completed any way you and the receiver/sender want to do it.
Sorry I didn't write sooner. For some reason I didn't get an email that you posted on the forum.
- Kent Eddy

james evans

Dec 15, 2013, 6:05:46 PM12/15/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Didn't realized I left where I'm from out of the post. I am from Harlan, Kentucky. That is the first I have heard of Red June giving two crops,very interesting. I have yet to get an apple from my trees yet. This will be my third spring with my trees. Looks like I have some fruit buds started so maybe this year I will get some apples.

Kent Eddy

Dec 15, 2013, 6:56:48 PM12/15/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
I had a tree labeled as a Red June but it did not grow to be one, but a Gala instead. So I've looked into the Red June when I was hunting down the tree's origin. Here's what I have on the Red June:

RED JUNE - (Carolina Red June, Blush June, Georgia June, Knight's Red June, Red Harvest, Jones June, Jones Early Harvest, Summer Red, Everbearing Red June, Red June, Red Juneating, Carolina Red, Improved Red June, Sheepnose Crab ) - A long-time Southern favorite, Carolina Red June is believed to have originated in the early 1800's in Tennessee. This apple has long been highly valued for its early ripening qualities. Unlike most early season varieties which fail to develop a full balance of flavors in their short ripening period, Carolina Red June has a high quality flavor making it a first choice for fresh eating and pie making. The tree is very productive and has an unusual habit of occasionally blooming twice in the same season, producing a second, smaller crop of apples in the fall. Fruit is small to medium with smooth, dark red skin and is quite oblong or conical in appearance. The tender, fine-grained flesh is white and sometimes stained with red when eating. Ripens June to July and only a fair keeper.

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 6:05 PM, james evans <jamesev...@gmail.com> wrote:
Didn't realized I left where I'm from out of the post. I am from Harlan, Kentucky. That is the first I have heard of Red June giving two crops,very interesting. I have yet to get an apple from my trees yet. This will be my third spring with my trees. Looks like I have some fruit buds started so maybe this year I will get some apples.

joe

Dec 16, 2013, 5:49:01 PM12/16/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the infomation. Do you all know of any other apples that have a double crop?

Kent Eddy

Dec 16, 2013, 8:28:24 PM12/16/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
I think I've read of one other but it escapes me. It's very rare occurance. It might be possible to get a tree to fruit twice in a subtropical climate but the more difficult job then is to have enough chill hours available.

joe

Dec 17, 2013, 6:29:20 PM12/17/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Do you all know of a place I can get some cheap rootstock. Standard would be best.

Brian Lynch

Dec 17, 2013, 7:14:17 PM12/17/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
If you're looking for a decent amount (100+) of rootstock, I ordered from Copenhaven farms (http://www.copenhavenfarms.com/apple-price.html) last year and had good results. For tiny orders (~10) FEDCO is good (http://www.fedcoseeds.com/trees.htm) but they are three times the price of Copenhaven. For getting rootstock at or below cost, look and see what your state nursery is offering.

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 6:29 PM, joe <jamesev...@gmail.com> wrote:
Do you all know of a place I can get some cheap rootstock. Standard would be best.

Kent Eddy

Dec 17, 2013, 10:35:09 PM12/17/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
I have only bought rootstock from Cummins Nursery our of NY state.
http://www.cumminsnursery.com/rootstocks.htm
Jim Cummins is the man who developed the Geneva (G-series) rootstocks.
- Kent

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 6:29 PM, joe <jamesev...@gmail.com> wrote:
Do you all know of a place I can get some cheap rootstock. Standard would be best.

joe

Dec 18, 2013, 8:12:07 PM12/18/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Brian and Kent.

joe

Dec 19, 2013, 7:38:31 PM12/19/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com

Kent Eddy

Dec 19, 2013, 9:33:10 PM12/19/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Not me.
Give it a try. What are your plans?

John and Annette Trout

Dec 21, 2013, 4:34:08 PM12/21/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Hey James, I'm from southern Indiana!  You can expect heavy disease pressure on that Gala apple tree.  You can win the battle with sprays and an eye for fireblight
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MI Home Orchard" group.

John and Annette Trout

Dec 21, 2013, 4:36:05 PM12/21/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
I've gotten rootstock from Cummins Nursery.  All varieties.  Seems like with small orders most will run $2.50 +/- each.
Do you all know of a place I can get some cheap rootstock. Standard would be best.

joe

Dec 23, 2013, 8:21:38 AM12/23/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
JOHN ANNETTE Trout
  What would you suggest I spray on my gala.

Kent Eddy

Dec 23, 2013, 11:41:37 AM12/23/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Bonide makes a Fruit Tree Spray.

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 8:21 AM, joe <jamesev...@gmail.com> wrote:
JOHN ANNETTE Trout
  What would you suggest I spray on my gala.

John and Annette Trout

Dec 23, 2013, 10:59:56 PM12/23/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Bonide fruit tree spray is adequate.  I am alternating between Bonide Fruit Tree Spray and Triazicide this year (2014).  Bonide doesn't have much Cedar Apple Rust control, which is a problem around here.  My biggest problem with Gala is fireblight.  Keep it under control with dormant season (March) copper sprays and pruning off infected limbs.  Copper sprays must be applied in dormancy and are not a part of a growing season spraying program.  You will probably have questions.  If so, feel free to ask...
Dec 31, 2013, 9:39:58 PM12/31/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Do any of you all grow Yarlington Mill Trees?

Kent Eddy

Jan 1, 2014, 4:05:23 PM1/1/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
An English apple, Yarlington Mill. See Stephen Hayes' youtube channel @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws0ZP3onzXc&feature=em-uploademail

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 9:39 PM, joe <jamesev...@gmail.com> wrote:
Do any of you all grow Yarlington Mill Trees?

joe

Jan 1, 2014, 6:10:23 PM1/1/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Will they ripen here in Kentucky before a heavy freeze comes? I'm not sure what kind of temperatures Stephen has there.

Kent Eddy

Jan 1, 2014, 7:50:41 PM1/1/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
I would say close to Kentucky temperature. I know he has more sunny days than Michigan does.
Yarlington Mill is good for Zone 6,7,8,9 supposedly. Do you know anyone nearby that grows it?

On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 6:10 PM, joe <jamesev...@gmail.com> wrote:
Will they ripen here in Kentucky before a heavy freeze comes? I'm not sure what kind of temperatures Stephen has there.

joe

Jan 1, 2014, 8:10:12 PM1/1/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
No I only know of Stephen Hayes. Thats why I was asking. Just wondering if it was worth buying. I'm wanting to get into making cider. That one cider he talks highly of so I thought I would start out with it. I also have a dabinette ordered. Maybe also a Le Bret.

Kent Eddy

Jan 1, 2014, 9:57:20 PM1/1/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
I just make sweet cider so I can't help with hard cider questions. See Al @ happydogfarm.com is gearing up to make hard cider.

joe

Jan 2, 2014, 12:08:05 PM1/2/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
So would it not make a good sweet cider. I'm not sure I will like the hard cider.

David Taylor

Jan 10, 2014, 10:34:07 AM1/10/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com

On Thursday, January 2, 2014 11:08:05 AM UTC-6, joe wrote:
So would it not make a good sweet cider. I'm not sure I will like the hard cider.

I bet Yarlington Mill and Dabinett, etc. will make great sweet cider (as well as hard cider).  I made sweet and hard cider of Kingston Black this year and both tasted excellent.  In fact the KB apples tasted wonderful eaten straight -- they were NOT very astringent or bitter or "spitters", just very mildly astringent.  I think anyone could eat them.

All of these should grow great in Kentucky.  Maple Valley Orchards here in Wisconsin grows and sells Yarlington Mill.

They list it as good for Zones 3-6.  If you are in Zone 6 or even 7, I am sure it will be just fine.  The thing with Yarlington Mill is that it ripens very late, into November.  But that should be fine in most years in Kentucky.  I wouldn't hesitate to grow it here in 'Sconsin either.  In fact I have considered it... but I already have more varieties on my 3 small trees than I will know what to do with!  Maybe I'll reconsider in a couple more years, or perhaps I'll begin planting trees at my parents' house or something.  I know my dad could use any leftovers to feed the deer -- he is an avid hunter.  But I digress...

Kent Eddy

Jan 10, 2014, 1:16:59 PM1/10/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
David, good to hear from you again. Feel free to digress. Like this... we had a local orchardist near me graft all his MM106 trees (maybe MM111) with 6 buds at 3' high. All six limbs looked like they came from a common joint. Then he trained/pruned them to grow mostly horizontal. The result was large trees all picked without the use of a ladder. He had at least 50 trees. That made a LOT of apples. You should plant some trees on your Dad's property. My Dad loves them on his property now. Says I should have planted them much earlier. Which is funny because he hates change and didn't want me cutting his junk spruce down to plant apple trees.

joe

Jan 10, 2014, 5:52:34 PM1/10/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for the info David.

John and Annette Trout

Jan 13, 2014, 8:36:23 PM1/13/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
I have grafted that variety 2X and both of them failed.  I had one going half the summer and sort of forgot about it.  Came back to it a month later and a bird had snapped it off.
Jan 13, 2014, 8:40:11 PM1/13/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
I don't have first hand experience.  I will soon, but I digress.  But ,I have planted some old american cider apple trees that probably deserve some attention.  A few of my hopefuls are Graniwinkle, Harrison, Smith's Cider, and Roxbury Russet.  All highly sought american cider varieties back in the day.  I should fruit a couple of these trees this year, though lightly.  Not much you can do with a pocketful of cider apples.
Vintage Virginia Apples is a good source.
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MI Home Orchard" group.

John and Annette Trout

Jan 13, 2014, 8:41:33 PM1/13/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Ahhhh, now I see.  Ya, those are hard cider varieties.  You are thinking Golden DeliciousXJonathanX GalaX Liberty juice.
Jan 14, 2014, 4:22:09 PM1/14/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Graniwinkle, Harrison, Smith's Cider, and Roxbury Russet These sound interesting anyway. Have you tasted these before? Anyone else? Can you can apple juice?

I also enjoy dried apples.

John Holzwart

Jan 14, 2014, 4:40:10 PM1/14/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com, mi-home...@googlegroups.com
I can cider every year. This year I put up 10 gallons. All in quarts. Pretty easy.

Little John

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 14, 2014, at 3:22 PM, joe <jamesev...@gmail.com> wrote:

Graniwinkle, Harrison, Smith's Cider, and Roxbury Russet These sound interesting anyway. Have you tasted these before? Anyone else? Can you can apple juice?

I also enjoy dried apples.

Kent Eddy

Jan 14, 2014, 6:59:52 PM1/14/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Yes,  you can can apple juice but you would have to boil it which then removes the good enzymes. So I prefer to just freeze it in gallon jugs. I froze 60 gallons this year. Tastes the same after thawing.

joe

Jan 14, 2014, 7:52:34 PM1/14/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
What kind of containers to you use to freeze your juice in?

Kent Eddy

Jan 14, 2014, 7:58:04 PM1/14/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
I use new 1-gallon milk jugs. You could reuse though. Leave a little room for expansion.

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 7:52 PM, joe <jamesev...@gmail.com> wrote:
What kind of containers to you use to freeze your juice in?

John and Annette Trout

Jan 18, 2014, 10:26:35 AM1/18/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Jury is still out on taste.  Rox Russet is supposedly a great pie apple as well.  I have read that the colonists made grade A hard cider from a 50/50 mix of Graniwinkle and Harrison.  Another that comes to mind is Newtown Pippin- another supposedly top notch cider and eating apple.  Reports are that a Newtown Pippin is a different apple on different soils.  I have 3 of them on the tall spindle.  Might get a taste this year!
Jan 18, 2014, 10:27:37 AM1/18/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
I froze several gallons as well.  It was a hit warmed in a crockpot over the holidays.
Some are old apple juice containers.  Others are milk jugs that once held water.
What kind of containers to you use to freeze your juice in?

joe

Jan 18, 2014, 5:17:04 PM1/18/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
These seem like really great ideas!

Kent Eddy

Jan 18, 2014, 5:43:24 PM1/18/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
I can never get the milk smell out of used milk jugs.

On Sat, Jan 18, 2014 at 5:17 PM, joe <jamesev...@gmail.com> wrote:
These seem like really great ideas!

John and Annette Trout

Jan 20, 2014, 10:16:45 PM1/20/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
I agree.  I quit trying to wash them and went with water jugs.  Apple Juice containers are 1/2 gallon and much stronger.  And they are already labeled.  :)
Jan 20, 2014, 10:49:55 PM1/20/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately!), I don't buy much apple juice anymore!

joe

Jan 31, 2014, 8:59:33 PM1/31/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Cheapest antonovka rootstock I can find is at rain tree nursery nursery. 2.50 a peice for 10 anyone know a cheaper spot.

joe

Feb 8, 2014, 3:08:04 PM2/8/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
I have decided to grow some Ghost chili's in my orchard this year. Any of you all grow super hot chili's?

Kent Eddy

Feb 8, 2014, 7:20:25 PM2/8/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com

Not me. Why are they called ghost peppers, because they kill you?  Lol

On Feb 8, 2014 3:08 PM, "joe" <jamesev...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have decided to grow some Ghost chili's in my orchard this year. Any of you all grow super hot chili's?

joe

Feb 9, 2014, 8:35:34 PM2/9/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
What is the best deal on a cider press and grinder.

Prof. Kent

Feb 10, 2014, 12:40:20 PM2/10/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
OK, you might laugh (I did), but check out this
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj9z7NbO9mk

joe

Feb 10, 2014, 6:47:12 PM2/10/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Yes that is very innovative. Not very efficient. After a machine has been through a wash cycle there is grit in the bottom that will never come out couldn't imagine using a used machine for this task.

John and Annette Trout

Feb 11, 2014, 8:22:39 PM2/11/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
I have the Happy Valley Cider Press.  I bought the whole thing used for $200.  This is by far NOT the most efficient.  If I were serious about Cider, which I may well be someday, then I think an electric model is better.  It's probably like this, the more you spend, the more juice you can extract from any one apple.
How's that for abstract?
Feb 11, 2014, 8:30:35 PM2/11/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
So, I pruned one large scaffold from the top of the gala.  I then took out 1/3 of a middle branch, which directed it upward.  Other than that, I just snipped out some odd and end whips. Oh, yes, I completely reworked the tip-top.  I took out a portion and cut back to a weaker shoot.

I found fireblight cankers in several spots.  I took my curved knife and simply cut back to healthy wood around and under the canker.  This may become a disaster, but no worse than if I'd left the blight untouched.  The branches affected are to be removed in the upcoming year or two.  Ahhhh, live and learn from my failures and successes!

Kocide Copper sprays coming at silver tip for further fireblight control!

Bonide fruit tree spray is adequate.  I am alternating between Bonide Fruit Tree Spray and Triazicide this year (2014).  Bonide doesn't have much Cedar Apple Rust control, which is a problem around here.  My biggest problem with Gala is fireblight.  Keep it under control with dormant season (March) copper sprays and pruning off infected limbs.  Copper sprays must be applied in dormancy and are not a part of a growing season spraying program.  You will probably have questions.  If so, feel free to ask...
Feb 12, 2014, 10:37:05 PM2/12/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
You go, bro. Don't forget to sterilize those tools.
Still buried in snow here. -9F this morning....again.

John and Annette Trout

Feb 14, 2014, 9:50:29 PM2/14/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Yikes!  We just got blasted here again today.  Heavy snow and 6 deg. tonight.
Fireblight keeps me up at night.  I think I'm going to take out any old crabapples that I have no plans of grafting.  I don't think I can get it undercontrol otherwise.  Just too much surface area on all those limbs.
Feb 22, 2014, 11:09:28 PM2/22/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Yes, Kent.  You are exactly right.  Want an organic apple?  Let me show you my "organic tree".  Oddly, fireblight control (copper hydroxide) is listed as an organic product.  At least it was the last time I checked.  I'm going heavy on it.  Probably a "bit" higher than the label suggests.....  "Smurf blue" in the words of Michael Phillips.

I cut out close to 20 crabs today.  Big job, but glad to get them down.  The brush is too much to burn.  I made several piles and will just spray those piles with copper along with my trees around green tip.
FB hosts in hawthorns (cut one of those today as well), cotoneasters (landscape plant), and spirea (landscape plant).  I have two cotoneasters I can live without, but the spireas are going to be tough.  Think I will just spray them with copper.  Of course, pears are a fireblight magnet.  Mine will be sprayed with the apple trees.

As far as resistant varieties, I have let Purdue Univ. know that a few of their "resistant" varieties couldn't hold up in the Trout Orchard.  I have a serious problem here and I'm not taking it lightly this year!

Kent Eddy

Feb 23, 2014, 12:21:59 AM2/23/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
We're still snowed in up here; too deep to prune trees. I'm afraid to look in the cabin orchard for fear of what the deer have probably done to the 25 trees out there. The deer have eaten all the green from my canadian hemlock in my back yard. First time they've eaten them. It's a hard winter this year for the deer.

Kent Eddy

Mar 24, 2014, 8:27:48 PM3/24/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Here's a first for End-of-March. I got the AWD car stuck in the Cabin Orchard today... in the snow. Drifts of crusty snow in the middle of the orchard is what stopped me. The car wasn't even sinking all the way to the ground until I had to turn a corner.
(Was fun trying, though!)

Brian Lynch

Mar 24, 2014, 10:07:16 PM3/24/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Seven days from now (two years ago) I was thinning aprictos....(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kX-kLJW43M) yesterday, I collected a bit more very dormant scion wood.

At least we shouldn't need to worry much about that late frost...if things keep up, the trees around here won't be blooming until the 4th of July...

Kent Eddy

Mar 25, 2014, 3:41:44 PM3/25/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com

My thoughts exactly! Since my area is susceptible to late frosts I expect another bumper apple crop.
Yesterday I drove the AWD Subaru out to the Cabin Orchard and got it stuck in the snow. Today I get to drag it out with the tractor.

John and Annette Trout

Mar 27, 2014, 9:43:26 PM3/27/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Silver tip on a lot of varieties here right now.  Some are still sleepy.  Planning on copper spray this coming Sunday.  Next week's forecast looks normal with temps in the 60's and lows in 30's.
Is spring springing?

Kent Eddy

Mar 27, 2014, 10:51:56 PM3/27/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Springtime?  What is this mythical season you speak of?

John and Annette Trout

Mar 31, 2014, 10:12:49 PM3/31/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Yes.  A warmer season with green grass and flowers!  Sprayed copper and dormant oil yesterday at green tip.  20 gallons of the stuff.  70 degrees today and it's happening.  My trees look like waxed turquoise.  I love it.
Did you see my email about zestar?  Do you have any scions?

Kent Eddy

Mar 31, 2014, 11:34:37 PM3/31/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
I emailed a reply: I'll be collecting scions tomorrow. I have one small Zestar but I should be able to get a few sticks from it.

50F today and rain tomorrow. I got the car unstuck from the orchard today. Snow is only 6-8" at deepest now.
Maybe spring is coming!

John and Annette Trout

Apr 1, 2014, 9:19:13 PM4/1/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Kent.  I missed your email somewhere.  Don't butcher your tree on my account.  Guess it's still like winter up there for you.  Glad to hear you're digging out!
Looks like the tall spindle is going to produce some good fruit this year.  Let's hope the real cold stuff is over.  1/4" green today.

Kent Eddy

Apr 1, 2014, 11:11:02 PM4/1/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
I collected the Zestar today; about 6 small scions. You can have them all if you want. I don't plan on propagating any early apples this year.
Rabbits munched on my short Shizuka tree. It looks pretty bad. With the deep snow I don't think they even had to stand on their back legs this year. when they did they where chewing on limbs 3' above ground.
Probably will loose 2/3 of the tree (On  G30 rootstock). That's why I don't like dwarfing rootstocks.

John and Annette Trout

Apr 18, 2014, 7:01:59 AM4/18/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
I saw your video and feel for you man.  Looks like those rabbits just climbed up in that tree like squirrels!  I'm curious to see what comes of my dwarf honeycrisp this year.  They were rabbit chewed hard and are weak growers anyway.
I'd like to try some zestar.  I've got a couple of G30 stocks waiting for them.  Might have an M7 available as well.
What stage are your trees at?
I'm guessing full bloom here tomorrow.  And it's gonna be a beauty.

Kent Eddy

Apr 18, 2014, 4:12:37 PM4/18/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com

Trees are still dormant mostly but buds are starting to swell. Warm this week..in the 50s so I expect silvertip soon. That 3" snowfall we had last week slowed things up for another week. Looks to be another good year for apples. Today I spray dormant oil.

joe

Jan 7, 2015, 10:06:19 PM1/7/15
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone have a tree started from one that johnny appleseed supposedly started.

Kent Eddy

Jan 7, 2015, 10:22:30 PM1/7/15
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Apparently, yes as of 1994.
And bud grafts of the last known tree planted by Johnny Appleseed (John Chapman) it are still being created from it.