2013 Scion Wood + Other Cuttings (Zone 4a, MN)

Chip Kent

Feb 14, 2013, 3:02:40 PM2/14/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
It is 30F in February in Minnesota.  I want to run outside in shorts.  This triggered me to list plants I can make scions and other cuttings from.  Depending on the age of the plants, I may have more or less of some varieties.

Apple:
- Honeycrisp
- Fireside
- Haralred (red variant of haralson)
- Snowsweet
- Sweet16
- Zestar
- State Fair
- Spitzenberg
- Frostbite
- Grimes Golden
- Ashmead's Kernel
- Keepsake

Plum:
- Alderman
- Toka
- Mt. Royal
- Black Ice

Apricot:
- Pioneer Chinese
- Sungold
- Moongold

Peach:
- Contender

Pear:
- Parker
- Summercrisp
- Patten
- Luscious

Pie Cherry:
- Evans Bali
- Northstar
- Meteor
- Mesabi

Mulberry:
- Wild-type with good flavor (I can dig a few young trees as well)
- Illinois

Grape:
- Valiant
- Blue Bell
- Edelweiss
- Swenson Red
- Frontenac
- Frontenac Gris
- Somerset
- Reliance

Kiwi:
- Arctic Beauty Female

Gooseberry:
- Pixwell
- Jostaberry
- Quite a few others as well

Currant:
- Red Lake

Raspberry:
- Black (unknown clutivar but excellent flavor)

Blueberry:
- I have most UMN varieties.  If you want something, ask.  Rabbits may have done the pruning for me.

Saskatoon/Serviceberry/
Juneberry:
- Reagent

John and Annette Trout

Feb 14, 2013, 9:52:34 PM2/14/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Nice list, Chip.  I got many of those apple varieties last spring, and I'm happy to say that most have taken.
It was 55 deg here today.  I can't imagine what you would (or wouldn't) wear outside down here today.
Cold again tomorrow, and that's more than fine to me.

Chip Kent

Feb 21, 2013, 5:14:04 PM2/21/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
I also had good luck with the scions you sent me last year.  I have a note to get a few more from you this year, but I haven't had a chance to go through the list you put up.

John and Annette Trout

Feb 21, 2013, 7:23:59 PM2/21/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
No hurry.  Most are chillin' in the fridge.  I've saved a lot of those varieties, but some were pruned and left to rot.  Hopefully I'll have what you want.

Prof. Kent

Mar 18, 2013, 6:05:06 PM3/18/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Chip,
 i need Haralred, Snowsweet, Keepsake, & Sweet16.
Of my 24 grafts last year in the espalier orchard only about 3 survived the Spring flood and Late summer drought, so I have start over this year. This year I will plant them in pots and let them grow for a year or two before transplanting them.
If I can trade you for any varieties, please let me know.

Kent Eddy
6700 Ehlers Road
Rhodes, MI 48652
Apples
  1. Braeburn
  2. Cortland
  3. Redcort
  4. Dayton
  5. Empire
  6. Fortune
  7. Fuji, Rising Sun
  8. Gala
  9. Gala (Hilltop & Lidia’s)
  10. Ginger Gold
  11. Golden Delicious
  12. Goldrush
  13. Golden Glory
  14. Golden Russet
  15. Golden Hornet
  16. Honeycrisp
  17. Ida Red
  18. Marquis Idared
  19. Jonafree
  20. Jonagold
  21. Jonamac
  22. Jonathan
  23. King David
  24. Kingston Black
  25. Lady Jean
  26. Liberty
  27. Lodi
  28. Macoun
  29. Northfield Beauty
  30. NorthWoods Early (seedling)
  31. Nova Easygro
  32. Novamac
  33. Paula Red
  34. Redfree
  35. Pound Sweet
  36. Richelieu
  37. Rome, Spuree
  38. Scarlet Surprise
  39. Shizuka
  40. Smoothee
  41. Snow (aka Fameuse)
  42. Spigold
  43. Turley Winesap
  44. Wealthy
  45. Whitney Crab
  46. RedMax (McIntosh sport)
  47. Tydeman’s Late Orange

Grapes
  1. Alwood
  2. Beta
  3. Bluebell
  4. Buffalo
  5. Candice
  6. Concord
  7. Edelweiss
  8. Interlaken
  9. King of the North
  10. Marquis
  11. Reliance
  12. Sunbelt
  13. VanBuren
  14. Vanessa
  15. Worden

Chip Kent

Apr 10, 2013, 9:23:26 PM4/10/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Kent,

Sorry for the delay! Too much work and too little fun.  I'll get you these varieties to you shortly.

Chip

Chip Kent

Apr 10, 2013, 9:35:50 PM4/10/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Kent,

I'll get your scions together tomorrow.  I'll throw in a couple of others.

Varieties I'd like to trade for:

Grape:
- Vanessa
- King of the north
- marquis
- worden

Apple:
- send me a handfull of your favorites.  Last year you said the Shizuka was your favorite.  I think the rabbits got that graft (they are now on my hit list) so I'd like a couple of them.

Chip Kent
545 Niagara Ln. N.
Plymouth, MN 55447

Kent Eddy

Apr 10, 2013, 11:45:29 PM4/10/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Chip,
OK, can do. Those grape vines are rather small yet.
It's supposed to stop raining here come Friday or Saturday. I'll collect them then.
The apple scions I already have in the frig.
Apples I like that you don't seem to have are Wealthy, Spigold, Golden Russet, Shizuka, Macoun, Dayton.
I also collected a bunch of Sonata scions from a friend's orchard. He recommends them highly.
- Kent

Prof. Kent

Apr 20, 2013, 10:04:35 AM4/20/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Chip,

I packaged the apple scions yesterday. Now I have to get the grapevines.

- Kent
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to mi-home-orcha...@googlegroups.com.

Kent Eddy

Apr 20, 2013, 1:17:04 PM4/20/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
I got the grapevine cuttings today. I didn't realize how small they would be. Some we are still trying to grow from the ground to the top of the trellis in one year. Maybe this year.

Prof. Kent

Apr 24, 2013, 6:15:04 PM4/24/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Chip,
Scions were shipped from the post office Monday morning.
Have fun!
- Kent

Chip Kent

May 14, 2013, 10:48:28 PM5/14/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Kent,

I've been grafting away.  Everything looks great.  Thanks!

Chip

John and Annette Trout

May 15, 2013, 10:25:05 AM5/15/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
My Turley Winesap and Honeycrisp scions are breaking bud....
May 15, 2013, 4:52:06 PM5/15/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Cool! My Turley Winesap grows s-l-o-w-l-y but is shaded quite a bit.
I should propagate it and plant it in good soil with lots of sunlight.

John and Annette Trout

May 16, 2013, 10:22:45 PM5/16/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
I'll send you an apple from your tree for tasting! ....hahahaha

Kent Eddy

May 16, 2013, 10:24:21 PM5/16/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Now THAT'S ironic.

Jerry Coon

Feb 20, 2014, 6:47:23 PM2/20/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
My name is Jerry and I live in Iona, Idaho zone 4.
I have scionwood for swap in the following varieties...

Golden russet, Red Astrachan, Early Cortland, Eve's delight, Earligold, Goodland,.

 If you still have some varieties from your old list I'd like
Snowsweet
- Sweet16
- Zestar
- State Fair
- Spitzenberg
- Frostbite
- Grimes Golden
- Ashmead's Kernel
- Grimes Golden
- Ashmead's Kernel
- Keepsake

I'd be glad to pay s&h if you don't need any of my varieties. Thanks

Kent Eddy

Feb 20, 2014, 7:07:41 PM2/20/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Jerry,