Hello all!

John Trout

Mar 5, 2012, 9:36:44 PM3/5/12
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone.  Troutfishholland here (John).  Hope to see lots of familiar names and faces stopping by soon.  I think this forum will be a great place to post pics of our orchards and discuss tactics and processes.
Thanks to Kent for setting this up.
Hope to see you all soon.

Prof. Kent

Mar 5, 2012, 11:10:12 PM3/5/12
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com

Kent Eddy

Mar 5, 2012, 11:14:47 PM3/5/12
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
So, have you figured out how to give someone on Youtube an invitation to  join the Group?
I'm off to Zzz-land.
- Kent

John and Annette Trout

Mar 6, 2012, 9:27:43 PM3/6/12
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
I pasted the address you provided and then saved the site in my favorites.  I guess we could email the site address to youtube folks to get them there?

John and Annette Trout

Mar 6, 2012, 9:28:38 PM3/6/12
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Sweet.  Do you hunt and make cider in there?
Mar 6, 2012, 9:32:42 PM3/6/12
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Cool. If you click on the picture you get it full-sized!

Kent Eddy

Mar 6, 2012, 9:37:19 PM3/6/12
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
There's the rub!  You can't post a comment in Youtube that has a website or email address in it (like,

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en&fromgroups#!forum/mi-home-orchard )

 If you try it gives you an error.
- Kent

Kent Eddy

Mar 6, 2012, 9:39:02 PM3/6/12
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Orchard Cabin construction in 2010 at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz2P6lUHeX4

John and Annette Trout

Mar 6, 2012, 11:06:12 PM3/6/12
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
I just sent Cooper68ns a personal message with the below link pasted to it.  Looks like it went through.  ??
We'll see soon.

Tony Loftin

Mar 15, 2012, 5:15:38 PM3/15/12
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Thanks again for the link. Tony

Prof. Kent

Mar 15, 2012, 5:19:00 PM3/15/12
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Good to hear from you, Tony.
Now we all have a place to stay when we visit Disney World. :-)
- Kent

David M. Taylor

Mar 25, 2012, 8:27:08 AM3/25/12
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Howdy all.  I'm Dave Taylor (a.k.a. dmtaylo1 on YouTube) and I'm from Two Rivers, WI.  I live literally 1 mile from Lake Michigan so I get all of the lake effect microclimate weather here.  Technically I'm in Zone 5a but my summers tend to be about 10 degrees cooler than elsewhere in the zone.

So anyway, I've got three young apple trees in my small downtown yard: Cortland on Bud.9, Sweet 16 on G.16, and Honeycrisp on unknown semi-dwarf.  The Honeycrisp is 2 years older than the other two trees that were planted as whips in 2010.  I also grafted onto my Cortland a single branch of Foxwhelp (actually Fauxwhelp) in 2011.  This will be the first year that they all fruit -- all have a few fruit buds.  This spring I will be grafting on many more varieties including Ashmead's Kernel, Dolgo Crab, Hudson's Golden Gem, and Kingston Black.  As you can see, I'm really getting into this.  I want apples that will work well for all uses: eating, cooking, and juice/cider.  With 8 varieties on 3 trees, I think I'll be in pretty good shape a few years from now.  Patience is the hardest thing, but I'm getting old and the time goes by more quickly these days (I am 37 years old).

I'll soon also be getting a Black Gold cherry on Gisela 5 semi-dwarf.  I also have raspberries among other things.  I have finally posted a few videos on my YouTube channel so check them out.  If anyone is interested in scion wood, I do have a few of each of my young apples, although they are quite small in diameter, and if I'm not mistaken, Sweet 16 might be patented.

See you all around.  Thank you Professor Kent for setting this up.  I'll be posting sweet nothings from time to time, especially if you guys start going silent for a few days.

Brian Lynch

Mar 25, 2012, 9:10:22 AM3/25/12
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Dave, Sweet Sixteen was introduced by the University of Minnesota in 1977 and is unpatented.

Prof. Kent

Mar 25, 2012, 9:38:32 AM3/25/12
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Good to hear from you Dave. Good choices on apples for a city yard. Do you have room for more trees? (Always THE Question!)
Sometimes first year fruit is undersized and a little sour so don't be turned off on the taste first year. I have a Cortland on Bud9 in my front yard (Home Orchard; you can search for some of my orchard walk videos on my Youtube Channel) Don't let too many fruit set the first year or your tree may runt out. Mine is now fully mature and is about 5'-6" tall. Once it matures you get almost no scion wood from it. Cortland is a tip bearer, so be careful about pruning back the tips of branches when pruning each year; remove whole limbs in the center instead. With a tree that small (at maturity) you will be temped to prune it too little and results are then small apples.
Kingston Black is not vigorous and is a bitter, used for HARD cider. My KB graft has not produced yet.
Multiple varieties on a single tree sounds smart but if the cultivars are not the same vigor the tree goes lopsided, top-heavy, etc. All things being equal, top whirls of trees also grow more vigorous than bottoms whirls (more sunlight and veg. growth hormones). Therefore, to balance a tree's growth between a high and low vigor scions, I think making the top whirl the lower vigor variety might work better. Never tried it myself, though! I just slap the scions on like everyone else. But I have room and can always remove a tree or experiment with one just for fun.
Excelsior!
- Kent

John Holzwart

Mar 26, 2012, 1:37:38 AM3/26/12
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Wow, another cheesehead! Hey if you want to swap scions in person I'll be hosting a free to the public scion exchange in Two Rivers on Sat. March 31st. Its at the Dunes Nature center. The exchange is preceded by a grafting class but it sounds like you've got that covered. I've got a ton of heirloom apple scions to swap. You can see my list here....

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/0PdvT8_o_3A8hWTEmRvOPAFRD4xjKTuUg8lOTLmhjoNQ1YHZb1Bq89VP1hNPTxxQEbsZUKUxyyYmhpWncVBuaQ/Members%20Scion%20Lists/LJ%20scion%20list%202012.txt

Hope to see you at the exchange next weekend!

Peace,
Little John

Prof. Kent

Mar 26, 2012, 2:13:43 AM3/26/12
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com

I've wanted a Kandil Sinap for a while. I've read it is not easy to grow.

John Holzwart

Mar 26, 2012, 9:08:53 AM3/26/12
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
I know several people growing Kandil Sinap. Its a very upright tree, grows kinda like a pear. Real easy to ID in the orchard. I haven't tasted the apple but it doesn't seem hard to grow here in WI. Let me know if you want some wood.

Thanks,
Little John

Kent Eddy

Mar 26, 2012, 9:54:02 AM3/26/12
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Little John,
Yes, I'd like a couple sticks of Kandil Sinap if they are still dormant. I could PayPal you the postage or trade you some scionwood. Our wood is out of dormancy now, (starting to bud) but I have some scions cut already. The list below are my varieties, the ones in RED are the ones I have scions of.
  1. Braeburn
  2. Cortland
  3. Redcort
  4. Dayton
  5. Empire
  6. Fortune
  7. Fuji, Rising Sun
  8. Gala
  9. Gala, Hilltop
  10. Golden Delicious
  11. Gold Rush
  12. Golden Glory
  13. Golden Russet
  14. Golden Hornet
  15. Honeycrisp
  16. Ida Red
  17. Marquis Idared
  18. Jonagold
  19. Jonamac
  20. Jonathan
  21. King David
  22. Kingston Black
  23. Lady Jean
  24. Liberty
  25. Lodi
  26. Macoun
  27. Northfield Beauty
  28. NorthWoods Early (seedling)
  29. Nova Easygro
  30. Novamac
  31. Paula Red
  32. Redfree
  33. Pound Sweet
  34. Red June
  35. Richelieu
  36. Rome, Spuree
  37. Scarlet Surprise
  38. Shizuka
  39. Smoothee
  40. Snow Sweet
  41. Snow
  42. Spigold
  43. Sweet 16
  44. Turley Winesap
  45. Wealthy
  46. Whitney Crab
  47. Wolf River
  48. Zestar
  49. RedMax McIntosh
  50. Tydeman’s Late Orange

  51. - Prof Kent

Prof. Kent

Mar 26, 2012, 3:56:55 PM3/26/12
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Brian,
Where state do you live in, if you don't mind me asking?

Kent Eddy

Mar 26, 2012, 9:11:24 PM3/26/12
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
oh wait, Pennsylvania, right?

John and Annette Trout

Mar 29, 2012, 9:32:21 PM3/29/12
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave,
I saw one of your videos the other evening, but my computer bogged down and I cut out before leaving you a comment.  This apple stuff gets into your blood for sure.
Have you entertained doing some trellising on that fence?  You could get quite a few dwarf trees up there.

David Taylor

Mar 29, 2012, 11:39:00 PM3/29/12
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Hey John Trout, Kent, and all,

Thanks for checking out my videos.  I definitely appreciate the suggestions.

I really don't have room left in the yard for any more trees -- after I plant the cherry, my yard will be maxed out, according to my wife.  The kids need room to play around, etc.  One day when the kids' get older and the swing set is taken down, I might tear out the lilacs and make the whole yard into a nice orchard.  Maybe too late for me to enjoy!  But for now, I'm limiting it to the 4 fruit trees.  I guess I could get fancy and trellis or espalier by the fences and the wall, but on the other hand, I have a puppy so it seems I'd sort of have to double-fence for a few years while the trees get established in order to get that to work very well.  Doesn't seem the most practical, at least until my puppy grows older.  I would *love* to plant a peach tree -- I just love peaches.  I've looked into it and I might try a Contender later on -- those are supposed to be good for Wisconsin, as long as you protect them from the coldest cold weather (minus 10 F?).  Someday I'll probably try it.  But for now, I guess I'm reluctant.  My wife thinks I baby my trees too much already as it is.  If I had 10 trees out there, she and the kids might never see me again!  ha ha

Thanks all.

Dave

Kent Eddy

Mar 30, 2012, 8:47:47 AM3/30/12
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Sell the puppy. Buy more trees. ;-)

Brian Lynch

Mar 30, 2012, 10:52:24 AM3/30/12
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Dave,

I was looking at the new USDA zone charts (http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov) and Two Rivers, WI and Lafayette, IN are both now in zone 5b. You'll probably get later frosts up north, but I've got a Starfire, an Early Red Fre, and a Canadian Harmony peach in my yard that are all doing great. The Canadian Harmony has gotten huge in two growing seasons despite my hacking it back hard each spring.

The cooler summers might be more of a problem than the winter.

Oh, and an easy (but expensive) solution to your space problem is to buy more land nearby. The biggest hurdle might be convincing your wife because she truly would never see you.

--Brian

David Taylor

Mar 30, 2012, 2:49:43 PM3/30/12
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com

Well I'll be darned.  Zone 5b indeed.  I think I'm going to continue to consider myself in Zone 5a regardless, simply because it is always colder here next to the lake (microclimate) and I've seen way too many -20 F days (although none at all this past winter!) to say that we'll only hit -15 F from here on out.  While I do believe there is some truth to global warming, I'm not willing to risk damage to my beloved trees.

Gosh.... I do need to get me a peach.  Wife will kill me.  Oh well.  Where to put it, where to put it......

Kent Eddy

Mar 30, 2012, 2:52:37 PM3/30/12
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Now to get rid of that puppy...

John and Annette Trout

Apr 2, 2012, 9:52:36 PM4/2/12
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
You wife is right....  I have many, many trees and she has to go out and find me if she wants me.  Don't carry the cell phone!
Sorry, but I think you're hooked.  Kids, say goodbye to the swingset.
Jan 5, 2013, 8:36:04 PM1/5/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Hey Tore, good to have you aboard. "No room left" is a challenge. Try googling or searching Youtube for "high density" or "trellis" or "espalier" apple trees. You would be surprised how much room you might have. Try http://www.youtube.com/user/jmcext?feature=watch  for Jon Clements "UMass Fruit Advisor". He has some excellent videos on high density plantings.
- Kent Eddy

John and Annette Trout

Jan 14, 2013, 10:12:14 AM1/14/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Welcome Tore.  You've found the right group.  We're all fruit tree growing junkies.  Consider this a support group.....
I would love to see your orchard on YouTube one of these days.  Remember, there are no stupid questions here.
Jan 14, 2013, 9:16:27 PM1/14/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
I'll need to work on video quality for the next time.

John and Annette Trout

Jan 14, 2013, 11:43:09 PM1/14/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Do we need a support group for our support group?
Jan 15, 2013, 12:32:12 PM1/15/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
"Hello. My name is Kent. I've been a fruitiholic for 15 years...."

Kent Eddy

Jan 15, 2013, 12:32:26 PM1/15/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, feel free to include other hobbies or happenings in your Youtube videos. I just can't seem to keep on the topic of "orchard".

John and Annette Trout

Jan 22, 2013, 9:37:41 PM1/22/13
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
I admit I am defenseless against the orchard.  Must give checkbook control to the wife.
Jan 25, 2014, 6:41:51 PM1/25/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Dimitriy,
Welcome to the MI Home Orchard forum. We have members from California to Nova Scotia and from Minnesota to Florida. When you have time I hope you will let us know where you are from and what you grow. If you have questions, just ask and feel free to post your opinion/advise/ideas when others ask a question.
-Kent Eddy (Michigan, Zone 5, apples, pears, grapes)

Dmitriy

Jan 26, 2014, 10:08:55 PM1/26/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Thank you
Eddy

John and Annette Trout

Jan 29, 2014, 8:40:50 PM1/29/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Welcome!  We look forward to learning from you!
Mar 30, 2014, 6:31:25 PM3/30/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Hello

MrWhitetail

Jun 10, 2017, 9:35:38 PM6/10/17
to MI Home Orchard
Hello all. I hope this forum is still active. Sounds like a good group of people.

Kent Eddy

Jun 10, 2017, 11:33:19 PM6/10/17
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
I wish it were more active!
Welcome!
Forums don't seem to attract as many people as Facebook.
The best way to get something going is to describe your interests, your orchard, etc. and maybe then ask a question or post to and existing topic.

By your name I would guess you are a deer hunter too. We have that in common. I also invite you to check out my Youtube channel at https://www.youtube.com/user/ProfKSE
Welcome aboard!

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 9:35 PM, 'MrWhitetail' via MI Home Orchard <mi-home...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hello all. I hope this forum is still active. Sounds like a good group of people.

- Kent Eddy
Home:  989-689-6331
Mobile: 989-750-4446
Kettering Office:  810-762-9692
6700 Ehlers Road
Rhodes, MI 48652

MrWhitetail

Jun 11, 2017, 12:51:09 AM6/11/17
to MI Home Orchard

I do a little deer hunting. Here is one I got a couple years ago. I caught him coming from a large bedding area heading to a Crimson Trail food plot. Didn't get anything last year. Just one problem after another. Hopefully this year is better.

I'm thinking about starting a nursery producing fruit trees for hunters. I need to find out drop times for different apples, pears, etc. Maybe some odd ball stuff like Medlar and Persimmons too. Even if I don't start a nursery I will still play around with propagating fruit trees. I would like to experiment with landscape plants that the critters like too. That way if your wife says "no more" plants for the deer in the yard like red osier dogwoods then you can buy "her" a present like some beautiful variegated dogwoods that the deer just happen to keep pruned for her. :-)

On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 11:33:19 PM UTC-4, Prof. Kent wrote:
I wish it were more active!
Welcome!
Forums don't seem to attract as many people as Facebook.
The best way to get something going is to describe your interests, your orchard, etc. and maybe then ask a question or post to and existing topic.

By your name I would guess you are a deer hunter too. We have that in common. I also invite you to check out my Youtube channel at https://www.youtube.com/user/ProfKSE
Welcome aboard!
On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 9:35 PM, 'MrWhitetail' via MI Home Orchard <mi-home...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hello all. I hope this forum is still active. Sounds like a good group of people.

Kent Eddy

Jun 11, 2017, 2:51:10 PM6/11/17
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
I wish we had a few bucks like that in my neighborhood!  :-)

Drop time for apples is not something normally noted n an apple's description. But from my experience with about northern 40 varieties here is a list of apples that hang long on the tree. Sometimes well past ripe. (In order of long-hanging-ness).

Goldrush, Golden Russet, Rome, Jonathan, Honeycrisp, Golden Delicious (and sports of GD), Jonagold, and Shizuka.

These are all apples I personally grow so I know they hang through November but typically are starting to get soft/over-ripe by then. Damaged ones (by disease or insects) will fall first. Usually late-apples hang long.
Aside from Goldrush and Jonathan they are all sweet, good eating apples. Rome gets sweet only at the end. Jonathan is a tart/sweet apple, and Goldrush has never ripened for me in Mid-Michigan and you'll probably have to beat it off the tree. It is a southern apple.

Fruit trees for hunters. Good Idea. Use a MM111 or B118 rootstock (80% full sized). Pears take to long to propagate and bring to maturity, IMHO, unless you put them on a dwarf rootstock but then they are too small and the deer will kill them.

If were to pick a few trees for deer hunters I would go with Golden Russett, Rome, and Golden Delicious. Stick with just those three. They are spreading and easier to prune & maintain

As for plants that deer prefer.... It is easier to make a list of plants they don't prefer. The later is a  MUCH shorter list!

MrWhitetail

Jun 12, 2017, 12:41:49 AM6/12/17
to MI Home Orchard
Yeah, I got him from an area where people let the young ones live.

I was planning on EMLA (or MM) 111 & BUD 118, but I was also thinking of some trees on their own roots.

A few of the varieties I have been thinking about are Liberty, Freedom, Goldrush, Enterprise, Golden Delicious, Manchurian Crab apple, Honeycrisp, Querina, Florina, Arkansas Black, Idared & maybe a few others. It would depend on where you live in the midwest as to what would be good of course. If I don't end up starting a mail order nursery I would like to experiment with them. Normally I would only research and consider disease resistant varieties that are good keepers, but I hear the deer like the Golden Delicious quite a bit so I included it in the list despite it's low disease resistance.

I was hoping that being a deer hunter and especially being into apples so much that you would know the drop times of all your varieties. I figured as a hunter you would have detailed records on that. It could be a big help for your hunting and give you reason to maybe top work some of your trees over to a better variety as far as drop times for hunting.

I know where there is a tree that gets loaded every year that starts dropping a few apples in late August. Then starts dropping them slowly but steadily by mid September and is really dropping them by mid October through the first week of November. Then it slows down and peters out by the gun opener. From mid September into early November it drops at least a some apples every day and sometimes they come down by the bushel. I'm going to see if I can get the landowner to let me have some scions (I wish I knew how easy grafting was when I lived there!). The tree never got sprayed when I lived there and it always produced a heavy crop. About the only problem that ever showed up was all the apples had a worm hole in them every year so I never bothered trying to eat one. I wanted them for the deer anyway. It might be a good "variety" for early bow season. It could be a tree from seed but I can't really tell. It's old enough that any potential patent is long since expired so I'm not worried about selling them if I do start a nursery. I could probably give you some scion wood once I get some trees started on it so you could see how it compares to others you have for deer preference if you are interested.

Kent Eddy

Jun 12, 2017, 4:07:31 PM6/12/17
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Some varieties of apples drop as soon as they are ripe (eg,Northern Spy, Macoun), while others hold until they are past ripe.  All trees will drop apples damaged by insects or disease earlier. You want apple trees that hold to the tree past ripe, if they are only for the deer, and you don't spray them, they will drop earlier because 90%+ will be damaged by insects.

I would buy several rootstock for grafting the apples and then propagate your own rootstocks. Growing your own rootstock from seeds would give you lots of problems. Each seedling rootstock would be a completely new tree, not a clone of the parent. Each seedling might end up susceptible to each disease, non-cold hardy, incompatible to soil types, and a thousand other potential problems. You can buy some known rootstocks and propagate them (see DIY Youtube videos). Easy to do and then you know your good tree has a good rootstock.

No, I don't keep records of when my varieties drop. I pick them before they drop or leave the bad ones to drop from the tree. Earlier-ripening varieties are picked or drop before October. I harvest my apples and make cider with most. The bad ones are stored and used as deer bait later in the season. The deer get the wormy or damaged apples as they drop before they are ripe.

 That tree you wrote about would hold most of it's apples longer if it where not riddled with insect damage.

I know of no crab apple that doesn't drop all it's apples by September. Some large crab apples make good browse though. And deer will sometimes (if no better food is around) eat every apple leaf that falls to the ground and every one it can reach from standing on their hind feet.

I "crown-lift" my apple trees in my cabin orchard (See my Youtube channel; https://www.youtube.com/user/ProfKSE ) so that the first whirl of branches is about 4'-5' high. Any limb lower will be destroyed by deer browsing. They are also grown inside of 6-8' diameter fences until the lower limbs grow above the fences.

[A crown lift is the lifting of the "crown beginning", i.e. the lowest point of the tree crown. This can be achieved by removal of the lowest boughs, or by removal of low-hanging side-branches.] I talk about this often in videos in my Cabin Orchard on Youtube.

I hope this helps.

MrWhitetail

Jun 13, 2017, 12:06:10 AM6/13/17
to MI Home Orchard

My experience and those of some other orchard owners I have talked to is that some varieties drop at ripening (or even slightly before), but most varieties seem to drop 1-3 weeks after ripening. Although some will hold all or most of the winter. Getting drop times is the most important thing for selling to deer hunters looking to buy trees, but it's also been VERY hard to find information.

I don't know where I put it but somewhere in my notes I have how long the Manchurian Crab apple will hold it's apples. I believe most drop by the end of December but some hang on all winter. This is not from personal experience but from Stan Peterson of Peterson Tree farms in Ludington. I have a couple crab apples here that hold apples into winter and one in a nearby town store parking lot that holds until spring. I have trouble finding them that will drop during deer season. It's usually either before or after in most cases. Although I don't care too much about crabs since most tend to have pretty small fruit anyway.

I didn't realize insects would affect drop times. I will have to keep that in mind. Especially when talking to others on the subject. Thanks. I appreciate any help you have to offer.

I got rootstocks (EMLA 111 & BUD118) a couple years ago so I could graft or start my own stooling beds, but potted them up and never got them in the ground. I need to do some work to get a spot for them. I need to have at least a dozen big oaks removed for the nursery. I will most likely do some cuttings under intermittent mist to increase the number of stool beds quicker. I may experiment with hardwood cuttings too just for fun.

When I mentioned doing some trees on their own roots I didn't mean by seed. I meant a Honeycrisp would be on Honey Crisp roots. It wouldn't be grafted onto a seedling. The whole tree would be a genetic clone of Honey Crisp.

BTW, did you see my other post about the bumps on my Chestnuts?

I also noticed that when I get an email notification of a post here there are multiple unsubscribe options, but no links to bring me to the forum. I had to look for you on youtube again (which is how I found this forum) so I could book mark it. Is there a setting to change that?

bassburnsify

Feb 26, 2018, 11:25:44 AM2/26/18
to MI Home Orchard
Kent,

Idk if this forum is still active, i caught your youtube channel recently. I'd be curious to talk with you about all things apple and how it relates to hunting and our own consumption. I'm in MI as well.

my email is baco...@gmail.com

Thanks,
Dan
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to mi-home-orcha...@googlegroups.com.

Kent Eddy

Feb 26, 2018, 4:24:31 PM2/26/18
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dan,
The forum has been pretty quiet for awhile. As with anything on the internet, it has to be promoted a lot or it doesn't find the people that would be interested in being involved. If you have a question to ask the forum that could get the ball rolling.
My Youtube channel shows pretty much what my interests are. I'm located in just northeast of Midland, MI. My big projects right now are filling my new orchard and creating a food plot behind my house in the Cabin Orchard. I took a nice 2 yr old 6 point his year from the orchard cabin with my crossbow. Last year I built a cider press using a 20 ton H-Press from Harbor Freight. I also build an apple scratter to grind up the apples. This Fall will be the real test for it.
What fruit trees do you grow and where about are you located in Michigan?

Jim Hossack

Jul 30, 2018, 11:00:46 AM7/30/18
to MI Home Orchard
Hi Prof. Kent,

I'm in Ortonville, MI (10 miles North of Clarkston).  I have seen your youtube channel, great stuff there!  I too have the 20 ton harbor-freight press and a home built scratter and 2018 will be maiden voyage.  This year looks to be mostly Goldrush, Sundance, Honeycrisp, Wickson, Dabinette and a couple of no-namers that were supposed to be liner tree crabs (siberian/Zumi) but turned out to be full sized apples and one is very good so I'm not going to topwork it over - the other is still questionable.  So, I look forward to more movies from you = most entertaining!

Prof. Kent

Dec 20, 2018, 8:43:09 PM12/20/18
to MI Home Orchard
Hi Jim.
This forum used to forward to my email account. Don't know why is stopped doing that. I made 46 gallons of cider this Fall (2018). Good stuff.

Jim Hossack

Dec 21, 2018, 2:06:02 PM12/21/18
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Whoa - Cool. I'm on 18 gallons with maybe 9 bushel of Goldrush and Sundance to go this Christmas break.  Happy Holidays to you and yours!
Jim

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MI Home Orchard" group.