From Overgrowing a Dwarf tree

Prof. Kent

Jun 4, 2014, 11:28:09 AM6/4/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
I was wondering if anyone, by accident or design, has ever covered a graft union near the ground to make the scion put down roots?
If so, how did that work for you?
I sometimes buy trees that are on dwarf or semi-dwarf rootstock and want them to grow bigger (actually, to grow more vigorously due to my sandy soil) so I am considering  burying the union.
I suspect if it works the tree will put on a spurt of growth/height as it grows more roots.
Any thoughts or comments?

- Kent

Greyphase

Jun 4, 2014, 6:16:03 PM6/4/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kent

Yes I've planted semi-dwarf trees deep and gotten trees 30 feet tall.  Don't know if it works if the tree is already established.  I've talked to guys in WI. with sandy ground who are pleased with B118 rootstock. Near standard size and supposedly grows good in sandy ground.

Rick

Kent Eddy

Jun 4, 2014, 8:21:44 PM6/4/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Rick. Yes, I get MM111 or B118 on the trree when I can but the large nurseries just say "dwarf" or "semi-dwarf" without specifying the rootstock exactly. I guess the problem with covering the graft is you never know how good of root the named tree will have. Eg., it might not be cold hardy!

John and Annette Trout

Jun 7, 2014, 6:52:59 PM6/7/14
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
I'm guessing cold hardiness for you northern guys is a bigger deal than down here.  I've just always made a point to leave the graft union clearly above soil line to avoid that very thing.  I recall watching a video on the New England Apple Growers UTube channel where a grower showed a scion rooted tree in his dwarf spindle block.  No winter kill with that tree to be sure!
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "MI Home Orchard" group.