Plans for 2020?

John Trout

Dec 3, 2019, 9:54:15 PM12/3/19
to MI Home Orchard
Sure has been a while since I've posted here. With winter at the doorstep I thought I'd see if anyone had big plans for 2020. Me? Plant and graft more dwarf rootstocks to grow the orchard. G41 is my stock of choice, but it's a bit of a gamble because I don't have any mature in the orchard. B9 has done well here but it's a fireblight risk.
I'll update the new planting seeds on the YouTube channel soon. Getting a fresh start with the new year.

Kent Eddy

Dec 4, 2019, 8:56:05 AM12/4/19
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
I got exactly one apple from my New Orchard this year. A nice big Honeycrisp. I also lost 4 peach and one apple tree. So those need to be replanted. I'm about planted out. I think I have enough apple trees now. Next fall should produce about 200 gallons of cider by Dale and myself. The cider press and homemade scratter worked flawlessly this fall. See Youtube video (search for Prof.Kent on Youtube).

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 9:54 PM John Trout <johntr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sure has been a while since I've posted here. With winter at the doorstep I thought I'd see if anyone had big plans for 2020. Me?  Plant and graft more dwarf rootstocks to grow the orchard. G41 is my stock of choice, but it's a bit of a gamble because I don't have any mature in the orchard. B9 has done well here but it's a fireblight risk.
I'll update the new planting seeds on the YouTube channel soon. Getting a fresh start with the new year.

- Kent Eddy
Home:  989-689-6331
Mobile: 989-750-4446
Kettering Office:  810-762-9692
6700 Ehlers Road
Rhodes, MI 48652

Kent Eddy

Dec 4, 2019, 8:56:29 AM12/4/19
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
How's that new property coming along?

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 9:54 PM John Trout <johntr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sure has been a while since I've posted here. With winter at the doorstep I thought I'd see if anyone had big plans for 2020. Me?  Plant and graft more dwarf rootstocks to grow the orchard. G41 is my stock of choice, but it's a bit of a gamble because I don't have any mature in the orchard. B9 has done well here but it's a fireblight risk.
I'll update the new planting seeds on the YouTube channel soon. Getting a fresh start with the new year.

John Trout

Dec 16, 2019, 7:24:02 PM12/16/19
to MI Home Orchard
I'm really looking forward to seeing that new block of yours in production. If you're only going to get one Apple, I think a honeycrisp would be the one.

John Trout

Dec 16, 2019, 7:26:17 PM12/16/19
to MI Home Orchard
The new property is great. I love being a landowner and trying to be a good steward with what God has loaned to me.

Prof. Kent

Dec 16, 2019, 9:58:39 PM12/16/19
to MI Home Orchard
Well, you know how it will progress. Every year there will be more apple trees starting production and quantity (as well as quality) will increase.  New varieties int he new orchard are CandyCrisp, Sheep's Nose (Gilliflower), Starks' Grand Gold, SnappyMac, SnowSweet, Suncrisp, more Sweet16's (!), Bonkers (seedless apple!), Sundance, CrimsonCrisp, Scarlet Crush, Ruby Darling, & Gravenstein.

The Cabin Orchard will become more and more "just for the deer"--except for the Honeycrisp and Macoun!

Prof. Kent

Dec 16, 2019, 10:03:03 PM12/16/19
to MI Home Orchard
Plant any apple trees on it yet?  Shoot any deer?

John Trout

Dec 24, 2019, 9:11:35 AM12/24/19
to MI Home Orchard
I pleated a few gold rush, Liberty, and Arkansas black at the deer property. My problem will be keeping the critters out of them to leave some for deer. We've taken several deer off the property. Nice bucks but no Giants.

I have decided to leave two rows of trees here on the home 10 for the deer, similar to what you've done with the cabin area. Black twig, Royal limber twig and Virginia beauty.

Kent Eddy

Dec 24, 2019, 11:56:20 AM12/24/19
to mi-home...@googlegroups.com
for crabapples for your 40. Large trees, late droppers, disease resistant, low maintenance.
If I had some hunting property away from home that's what I would plant.
Whitetail Habitat Solutions for small tracts.

Top 10 Deer Habitat and Hunting Tips for Small Parcels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4enwUJMLHS8

On Tue, Dec 24, 2019 at 9:11 AM John Trout <johntr...@gmail.com> wrote:
I pleated a few gold rush, Liberty, and Arkansas black at the deer property. My problem will be keeping the critters out of them to leave some for deer. We've taken several deer off the property.   Nice bucks but no Giants.

I have decided to leave two rows of trees here on the home 10 for the deer, similar to what you've done with the cabin area.  Black twig, Royal limber twig and Virginia beauty.

Jim Hossack

Dec 24, 2019, 6:04:26 PM12/24/19
to MI Home Orchard
@prof Kent. Dig the S16 and Sundance. I hope one day to leave trees all to the deer. I have a few targeted to do just that...truckloads on the ground! Merry Xmas eve ya’ll!