Thanks for the response Wayne.
Is the 'magic' you refer to within the data binding?
I've started with the todolist sample and only managed to make it work by upgrading from 2.7 to 2.8-beta1 to 2.8 SNAPSHOT.
The frustrations that triggered my earlier posting are all around getting polymer to initialize properly. For whatever reasons I kept getting undefined Base errors when calling Base.importHref(href, ok, err); within Polymer.importHref(). I believe it is an incompatibility with gin initializing my view objects before the polymer has properly initialized.
The gwt 2.8 SNAPSHOT build has forced me to upgrade to Java 1.8. I've found that I've run into a java.security violation triggered by the google gin code generator.
The stack trace is posted on the google-gin group but I don't expect any love there...
So, I'm faced with upgrading from gin to dagger.