extending inverted index structure

Zeynep Pehlivan

Dec 13, 2013, 9:30:04 AM12/13/13
to mg...@googlegroups.com

Hi to all,

I would like to know if it is possible to extend the inverted index structure in mg4j and if yes, how?
For example, for each term, instead of having a posting (d,tf), I need to have (d,tf, [tx,ty)) which is called time-travel inverted index.

Thanks in advance,
Bests,
ZP

Sebastiano Vigna

Dec 13, 2013, 9:51:02 AM12/13/13
to mg...@googlegroups.com

On 13 Dec 2013, at 6:30 AM, Zeynep Pehlivan <zeynep....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi to all,
>
> I would like to know if it is possible to extend the inverted index structure in mg4j and if yes, how?
> For example, for each term, instead of having a posting (d,tf), I need to have (d,tf, [tx,ty)) which is called time-travel inverted index.

MG4J has support for payloads--arbitrary pieces of data associated to each posting. You define your payload class, decoding/encoding methods and there you go.

The main problem is that presently in the Scan class there is no support for payloads. That is, the infrastructure for *reading* an index with payloads is there, but there's no way to put them in. I guess you'd have to tweak Scan. I can assist you in the process--it would be great to have that part of MG4J used and tested.

Ciao,

seba