Using trec_eval in MG4J

Merlijn M

May 27, 2013, 8:46:01 AM5/27/13
to mg...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody,

Does anyone know how I can make MG4J return trev_eval format results for a data collection such as cacm?

Kind regards,

Merlijn

Sebastiano Vigna

May 27, 2013, 8:55:24 AM5/27/13
to mg...@googlegroups.com
On 27 May 2013, at 2:46 PM, Merlijn M <luca...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Does anyone know how I can make MG4J return trev_eval format results for a data collection such as cacm?

Just use the Query class. Type $ to see the help, and look at the $mode command, that has a TREC option. You can pipe the output directly into trec_eval.

Ciao,

seba

Merlijn M

May 27, 2013, 9:18:02 AM5/27/13
to mg...@googlegroups.com, vi...@di.unimi.it
Thanks for the quick suggestion, will look into it

Merlijn M

May 27, 2013, 10:46:36 AM5/27/13
to mg...@googlegroups.com, vi...@di.unimi.it
I have added everything to the classpath etc but when I try to run the classes I get several errors like this one :

lucas@lucas-HP-ProBook-4720s ~/Downloads/mg4j-big-5.2.1 $ java -Xmx512M it.unimi.di.big.mg4j.document.TRECDocumentCollection
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: it/unimi/dsi/lang/FlyweightPrototype

Seems like its looking for a class inside dsi/lang but I do not have a dsi/lang folder....

Sebastiano Vigna

May 27, 2013, 11:01:13 AM5/27/13
to mg...@googlegroups.com
I don't know what you mean by "everything", but certainly one of the dependencies, dsiutils, is missing from your classpath.
-- Inviato dal mio cellulare Android con K-9 Mail.

Merlijn M

May 27, 2013, 11:10:16 AM5/27/13
to mg...@googlegroups.com, vi...@di.unimi.it
No, just checked the classpath, dsiutils-2.0.14 is in there

Merlijn M

May 27, 2013, 11:21:51 AM5/27/13
to mg...@googlegroups.com, vi...@di.unimi.it
Ok, fixed it. Sorry for bothering

Merlijn M

May 29, 2013, 5:42:44 AM5/29/13
to mg...@googlegroups.com, vi...@di.unimi.it
Can TRECDocumentCollection be used with other TREC datasets than GOV2? I have a dataset in the format of :

<DOC>

<DOCNO>
1
</DOCNO>
<DOCHDR>
experimental investigation of the aerodynamics of a
wing in a slipstream .
</DOCHDR>
<AUTHOR>
brenckman,m.
</AUTHOR>
<BIBLIO>
j. ae. scs. 25, 1958, 324.
</BIBLIO>
<TEXT>
  an experimental study of a wing in a propeller slipstream was
made in order to determine the spanwise distribution of the lift
increase due to slipstream at different angles of attack of the wing
and at different free stream to slipstream velocity ratios .  the
results were intended in part as an evaluation basis for different
theoretical treatments of this problem .
  the comparative span loading curves, together with supporting
evidence, showed that a substantial part of the lift increment
produced by the slipstream was due to a /destalling/ or boundary-layer-control
effect .  the integrated remaining lift increment,
after subtracting this destalling lift, was found to agree
well with a potential flow theory .
  an empirical evaluation of the destalling effects was made for
the specific configuration of the experiment .
</TEXT>
</DOC>