Missing format for ext2emu?

snhi...@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2021, 9:59:42 AMAug 3
to MFM Discuss

I'm unable to convert an extracted data image to emulation format using the WD_1006 format.  That format is listed by mfm_emu, but not by ext2emu.  Is that a limitation or coding error?  I do know all the CRC information, but there doesn't seem to be any way to enter it.  What am I missing?

David Gesswein

Aug 3, 2021, 9:11:02 PMAug 3
to mfm-d...@googlegroups.com
Its a not yet implemented feature. To do ext2emu you need more details than
decoding the sector. You need the length and contents of the various
gaps. I try to get it accurate which takes time. In reality the
controllers in general aren't that pickey so it only has to be sort of
close.

You can add it yourself but its pretty low level stuff. In mfm/inc/mfm_decoder
You need to modify mfm_controller_info entry WD_1006 to CONT_MODEL and add
the sector size, number of sectors, CRC info etc. Compare it to one of the
existing CONT_MODEL. Probably Intel_iSBC_214_512B. When you get that working
for decoding after updating you then need to change the null to a trk_
trk_ISBC214_512b is probably a good starting point. Some of the differences
between your modified WD_1006 and the Intel_iSBC_214_512B may require
changes to the trk_ data. This is likely to work but your controller may
not like the Intel format.

I won't have time to take a look at this until late in the month.

snhi...@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2021, 9:20:48 PMAug 3
to MFM Discuss
Thanks for the response, David.  I get the idea of how to do this from a 10,000 ft. view, but as always the fine details are what will likely trip me up.

d...@pdp8online.com

Aug 28, 2021, 12:32:36 PMAug 28
to MFM Discuss
Did you make any progress on implementing this? Is it still useful to implement? Have a little free time now.

snhi...@gmail.com

Aug 28, 2021, 12:49:27 PMAug 28
to MFM Discuss
No, I did not get a chance to work on it.  Would still be a good feature to have.

d...@pdp8online.com

Sep 2, 2021, 10:45:03 PMSep 2
to MFM Discuss
I'll need an example image to add support.

snhi...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2021, 10:57:28 PMSep 2
to MFM Discuss
Sorry - I'm in the middle of a very busy period.  Won't have time to address this until next week when things calm down.