"Write and step are active" error message

David Waine

Apr 21, 2024, 8:26:30 AMApr 21
to MFM Discuss
Hi
I am working with a Rev D board and this is my first attempt at drive emulation.

When I start the emulation program as follows;

mfm_emu -c 100 -d 0 -f test -h 4 -i

I get this error message;

[Preamble not shown]
**Write and step are active, is J2 cable reversed?**

This happens even when nothing is connected to J2.
I have read someone reported similar but RP1 & 2 are soldered fine and don't have any dry joints.  Checking RP1 pin 1, it's at 3.5V.
Reviewing the circuit diagram and using a 'scope, I can see that U2 pin 19 is always high (*EMU_EN).  Should it be low when the program is running?
I have checked that my BB Black is inserted correctly.
I am running the following version;
 mfm_emu -v
Board revision C detected
Version 4.14
Program requires options: file drive

[I'm actually using rev D]

If anyone could help, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Dave

David Waine

Apr 21, 2024, 11:56:28 AMApr 21
to MFM Discuss
As a footnote, I tried out the following python program, just to see if I could toggle the *EMU_EN pin;
import time
import Adafruit_BBIO.GPIO as GPIO
pin = 'P9_12'
GPIO.setup (pin, GPIO.OUT)
while (True):
        GPIO.output (pin, GPIO.HIGH)
        time.sleep (0.2)
        GPIO.output (pin, GPIO.LOW)
        time.sleep (0.2)

And monitoring U2 pin 19, it toggles fine.  So I think I don't have a hardware problem with the MFM board in respect of *EMU_EN.

David Gesswein

Apr 21, 2024, 8:08:49 PMApr 21
to mfm-d...@googlegroups.com
Set you run setup_emu? You will get that error if you haven't run it
before running mfm_emu. I put in code change in later software that
detects if you haven't run it.

http://www.pdp8online.com/mfm/revb/revb_board_build.shtml
> --

Message has been deleted