Listing and Extracting Cromemco Files

cro memcos

Feb 12, 2023, 3:49:46 PM2/12/23
to MFM Discuss
A new article on how to extract files from IMD floppy images or Gesswein MFM hard disk images onto a modern system

The excellent cromix-fs can also be used to create (floppy) media, just see the help

image.png

I mention it in this forum because cromix-fs can now also read a raw sector image of a Gesswein MFM disk emulator file.

Most wonderful,  and thanks to Damian and David for their great work.

David Gesswein

Feb 12, 2023, 4:01:57 PM2/12/23
to mfm-d...@googlegroups.com
Was going to put a link on my status page.
http://www.pdp8online.com/mfm/status.shtml

I have an entry for Cromemco 68000. Says:
Working for emulation with 16 head and 3200 cylinder image. Does not know how
to decode disk format currently.

Is this the format we are talking about? Does it know how to decode the disk
format properly now? I'm pretty sure that was long ago fixed with
Cromemco format option.

On Sun, Feb 12, 2023 at 12:49:46PM -0800, cro memcos wrote:
> A new article on how to extract files from IMD floppy images or Gesswein
> MFM hard disk images onto a modern system
>
> https://smpl.fyi/2023/02/listing-cromemco-files/
>
> The excellent cromix-fs can also be used to create (floppy) media, just see
> the help
>
> [image: image.png]
>
> I mention it in this forum because cromix-fs can now also read *a raw
> sector image of a Gesswein MFM disk emulator file.*
>
> Most wonderful, and thanks to Damian and David for their great work.

cro memcos

Feb 12, 2023, 4:23:00 PM2/12/23
to mfm-d...@googlegroups.com
David,

I am more talking about the fact  (read article) that Damian's java cromix-fs can take an MFM image file for Cromemco and extract the files onto a modern non vintage system.

That is very very useful!

Your board and emulation is working fine for  certainly 16 heads and over 1500 cylinders  as your status page indicated.

---

As regards making mfm_util   I had problems on a non linux system with libiberty library,  but under Linux everything was eventually fine.

If you can send me here or via email a makefile/other that will build on macOS (no libiberty or pasm) it would simplify my life.