Using HDD emulator in a Kaypro 10?

Terry Fox

Jun 19, 2021, 2:43:22 PMJun 19
to MFM Discuss
Hello all!  I recently purchased an old Kaypro 10, the MFM hard drive has gone bad.  How difficult would it be to replace that 10MB drive with one of these emulators?  I am technically competent, familiar with soldering SMT, using scopes, logic analyzers, etc.

While I am new to the Kaypro machines, I’ve been working with CP/M, Xerox 820, and S100 machines since the beginning.
Thank you,
Terry, N4TLF (formally WB4JFI)

Piero Andreini

Jun 19, 2021, 3:09:42 PMJun 19
to mfm-d...@googlegroups.com
MFM emulator work like a charm

Piero

Terry Fox

Jun 19, 2021, 4:17:56 PMJun 19
to MFM Discuss
Thank you Piero.  That link doesn’t work for me, but I think I know where it pointed.  Can you tell me if the emulator can emulate more than one drive at a time, like the Kaypro 10 has two 5MB virtual drives (partitions) from the single 10MB physical drive?

I guess that I need to order one of these, but don’t need the SA100x adaptor board.
Terry

David Gesswein

Jun 19, 2021, 5:10:32 PMJun 19
to mfm-d...@googlegroups.com
I had a report of it working fine a long time ago.
http://www.pdp8online.com/mfm/status.shtml

The virtual drives should work fine since that is CP/M dividing the one drive.

The emulator can emulate two physical drives as long as they share the control
cable. Haven't heard if this works properly with Kaypro.

Yes the SA100x adapter is not needed.