./mfm_util: unrecognized option '--rate'

Convergent MightyFrame

Jan 3, 2021, 1:55:15 AMJan 3
to mfm-d...@googlegroups.com
David, you're doing amazing things with each MFM version!

What I'm certain is a minor glitch, that doesn't really affect performance, but might be worth mentioning:  When using mfm_util to convert an emulation file to a binary/hex dump file, I get this warning.  I've never seen --rate as a parameter before, so possibly this is new in development?

See my command lines and responses below.

root@beaglebone:~/mfm# ./mfm_util -a -m ../Testc256h4_v3.emu -e ../Testc256h4_v3.bin
Original decode arguments: --heads 4 --cylinders 256  --rate 10000000
./mfm_util: unrecognized option '--rate'
Found matching format WD_3B1:
Number of heads 4 number of sectors 17 first sector 0
Interleave (not checked): 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Command line to read disk:
--format WD_3B1 --sectors 17,0 --heads 4 --cylinders 256 --header_crc 0xffff,0x1021,16,0 --data_crc  0xffff,0x1021,16,0 --sector_length 512 --retries 50,4 --drive 0
Found cyl 0 to 255, head 0 to 3, sector 0 to 16
Expected 17408 sectors got 17408 good sectors, 0 bad header, 0 bad data
0 sectors marked bad or spare
0 sectors corrected with ECC. Max bits in burst corrected 0
root@beaglebone:~/mfm#

The program still worked OK and gave me the binary/hex dump file I needed, so it's not any real issue other than raised eyebrows.

Best always,
AJ Palmgren

David Gesswein

Jan 3, 2021, 12:08:03 PMJan 3
to mfm-d...@googlegroups.com
The option has been around for a while. First needed with Corvus H disk
which they use 5.5/11 MHz rate for the MFM interface. The parameter is
only useable for reading and emulaton. The transition and emulation file
have the rate in the file header so mfm_util can't use a different rate.
It does pick up the original command arguments which has that set.

I haven't figured out an easy way to make it go away. If I ignore it then
people may try to use that option and not be informed that it doesn't do
anything for mfm_util. Might be able to have it ignored when reading
options from the file and not from the command line but not quick fix.