mfm_emu images & BBBW

Steven Hirsch

Apr 24, 2021, 5:24:20 PMApr 24
to mfm-d...@googlegroups.com
It turns out that the 'official' pre-configured mfm_emu images will not
even boot on the BBBW. There is some brief LED activity, then it hangs
with one LED on solid and that's that.

I was able to boot one of the Debian 8.6 images from the BB web site, but
for some reason it had a 4.4.x kernel - AND - wireless did not work.

I'm about out of ideas. Anyone want a brand new BBBW at a reduced price?

Joan Touzet

Apr 25, 2021, 12:49:22 PMApr 25
to mfm-d...@googlegroups.com
On 24/04/2021 17:24, Steven Hirsch wrote:
> It turns out that the 'official' pre-configured mfm_emu images will not
> even boot on the BBBW.  There is some brief LED activity, then it hangs
> with one LED on solid and that's that.

You'll need to modify this image to make it boot, but at previously
mentioned, you won't get wireless. You can try my image made via this
method here (works on BBGW):

https://archive.decromancer.ooo/mfm

Here's how I did it, from a BBB I had on hand, after booting from
David's image. First, boot the BBB via the internal eMMC, then insert a
microSD card with David's image on it. Then, the first 7 steps set up a
chroot using the microSD card's system at /mnt, then switch to it.
Inside of that chroot I install the latest kernel, which is what's
needed to boot on the BBGW. I then update the boot-scripts, which
contains the latest flasher & functionality to boot on any known
BeagleBone. Finally, I can't recall if I had to edit uEnv.txt or not
after this step - I might not have had to.

```
mount /dev/mmcblk1p1 /mnt
mount -o bind /proc /mnt/proc
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount -o bind /sys /mnt/sys
mount -o bind /dev/shm /mnt/dev/shm
mount -o bind /run /mnt/run
chroot /mnt /bin/sh
# steps to get net working, then:
apt-get update
apt-get install linux-kernel-3.8.13-bone84 && apt-get clean
apt-get clean
cd /opt/scripts/tools
rm -rf eMMC
git clone https://github.com/RobertCNelson/boot-scripts
cp -R boot-scripts/tools/eMMC .
rm -rf boot-scripts
exit #exits the chroot
## TODO: document /boot/uEnv.txt change
sync
sync
umount /mnt
halt
```

> I was able to boot one of the Debian 8.6 images from the BB web site,
> but for some reason it had a 4.4.x kernel - AND - wireless did not work.

I knew there was a reason I had to use the 7.x series...

You tried this without the cape connected?