Specifying --format when using --initialize

Convergent MightyFrame

Jan 7, 2021, 4:06:10 AM1/7/21
to MFM Discuss
David, great job with this wonderful emulator!  I'm really enjoying exploring all the new features since I last used it in 2015-2016!

Among those is your expanded --format option.  I just tried using this line:

root@beaglebone:~/emu# ./mfm_emu -d 2 -f ../AWSc256h4.emu -i --format CONVERGENT_AWS -c 256 -h 4
Board revision C detected
./mfm_emu: unrecognized option '--format'
Valid options:
f file
d drive
h heads
c cylinders
r rate
b begin_time
i initialize
p pool
q quiet
v version
n note
o options
R rpm
root@beaglebone:~/emu#

So, clearly, it's not an option with --initialize.  Is this a difficult thing to incorporate in a future release, or am I over-estimating the simplicity of --format?

Could you go into some general description on how --format is defined?  I'm guessing that it's more (or different?) than just the disk header (or VHB/Volume Home Block as Convergent Technologies calls it).

Thank you!
Best,
AJ

David Gesswein

Jan 7, 2021, 7:48:56 AM1/7/21
to mfm-d...@googlegroups.com
Initialize does not allow any form of formatting. You must use the low
level format routine of the host computer. I do have a program ext2emu that
you can use to convert an extracted data file (sector data) to an emulator
file. Some formats will need the TRK_L data structure in mfm/inc/mfm_decoder.h
created for ext2emu to work. It looks like that structure hasn't been
created yet for CONVERGENT_AWS. If you need this I can look at creating it.

http://www.pdp8online.com/mfm/code/mfm/ext2emu_doc.html

Any volume header/filesystem format handling is outside the scope of my
software. You need to use other software to manupulate that. My format only
deals with the low level sector format such as sector headers and checksum
polynomials.

Convergent MightyFrame

Jan 7, 2021, 6:05:52 PM1/7/21
to mfm-d...@googlegroups.com
Excellent, David, thanks for this info!

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "MFM Discuss" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mfm-discuss/20210107124853.GA737320%40hugin3.