Just got my assembled "blue" board with BB attached

Tim Radde

Jul 19, 2021, 10:04:37 PM7/19/21
to MFM Discuss
I got this to emulate an RD32 drive in my Decmate II which is faulty.  Never used one of these but from what I've read they are quite good.  Is there an easy set up guide to just using it for this purpose?  Haven't plugged it in yet or anything.  Docs talk about ssh'ing to the BB but how does one even give it an IP?  Or if it has one what is it?  Don't see a network port so it must use WiFi.  Not like I am trying to avoid reading stuff but lots of it does not apply to my case.  Thanks for any info.

David Gesswein

Jul 20, 2021, 7:00:25 AM7/20/21
to mfm-d...@googlegroups.com
This is the instructions for my board.
http://www.pdp8online.com/mfm/
http://www.pdp8online.com/mfm/revb/revb_board_build.shtml

I haven't used one but my understanding is on the blue board the wireless is
not functional due to pin conflicts. You need to use real Ethernet,
USB "Ethernet", or USB serial.

Joan Touzet

Jul 20, 2021, 1:12:56 PM7/20/21
to MFM Discuss
Hi Tim, I missed your email to the list yesterday, sorry about that. What David says is correct. The BeagleBone on that unit is a "BeagleBone Green Wireless" model, but the wireless has to be disabled to function with the MFM Emulator cape.

You can connect to that BeagleBone from your PC via the micro USB port through USB "gadget" Ethernet functionality or USB serial port functionality.

What OS are you using to access the emulator from?

From Linux, the following 4 line script usually works - after waiting 10 seconds or so for the kernel to recognize the device:

    iface=$(ip link | grep enx | cut -d' ' -f 2 | cut -d: -f 1)
    sudo ip link set $iface up
    sudo ip addr add 192.168.7.1/24 dev $iface || true
    ssh -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no ro...@192.168.7.2

I don't regularly use macOS / OSX but I'm told the device simply shows up and works there.

From Windows, try looking for a new COM port to start - you should be able to connect over that at 38400 with 8-N-1. Getting ssh working over the USB Gadget interface for Windows 10, given the vintage of the OS load on the MFM emulator is a bit more challenging, but it can be done. If you need help with this, reply, and I'll try and detail the process.

If none of the above work, you can buy this $10 adapter from Amazon, known working: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M77HLII/  As there are 4 ports on the USB hub, you can use this in conjunction with other devices, such as thumb/flash drives, wireless adapters, etc.

-Joan @ DECromancer

Tim Radde

Jul 20, 2021, 4:36:44 PM7/20/21
to MFM Discuss
I found a video on Youtube about how to connect it to a PC via micro-USB and how to archive a disk which I don't need to do.  I just wish to emulate said drive.  One other question: Don't I need an SD card with the software on it?  My board came assembled and tested but I see no SD card.  I have a USB memory stick to hold the drive data.  I haven't connected this yet to power as I don't wish to do something wrong here.  I will be running from a Linux box initially to set up the disk.  I could do it from this Mac laptop too.

Tim Radde

Jul 20, 2021, 11:07:40 PM7/20/21
to MFM Discuss
Ok, I see this BBG runs from flash so I don't need to worry about the SD card.  That's good to know.  If I am going to emulate a RD32 and use the controller in the Decmate it sure looks like I connect to the fingers on the card, and not the other connectors.  Even though the video I mentioned uses these connectors.  I will try to fire it up and see if I can ssh to it.  I have the micro-USB cable. I'd like to add some plastic standoff so the board does not sit on anything metal.

Tim Radde

Jul 22, 2021, 3:42:45 PM7/22/21
to MFM Discuss
Got a power supply for this as I had used my spare for a new Linux box.  BBG powers up and blinks just like in the video so all looks good.  I did not have a terminal program running so have not connected to it.  Will try that later today and try to initialize an empty ST-251 disk and see what happens.

Tim Radde

Jul 25, 2021, 1:47:53 PM7/25/21
to MFM Discuss
Where does one find cables for an ST-251 type drive?  Do I have to use eBay or make them myself?  Searching hasn't shown much of use.  Thanks.

Joan Touzet

Jul 26, 2021, 1:10:15 AM7/26/21
to MFM Discuss
Hi Tim,

Search for "MFM cables." There seem to be some US suppliers who have these in stock for cheaper than we can manufacture and sell them. On eBay they go for $25/set or so.

No endorsement implied, but here are some sellers:

Tim Radde

Jul 26, 2021, 12:12:01 PM7/26/21
to MFM Discuss
Thanks, someone else pointed me to eBay.  Guess I had not been searching for the right name.  All I see there are UK and Chinese vendors for $20 and up.  I'll check these links you supplied and see where it goes.  Thanks again.