Seagate ST-4096 microstepping mode FYI

Al Kossow

Sep 17, 2023, 2:34:14 PM9/17/23
to MFM Discuss
I just uploaded manuals for the st-4038 and 4096 and noticed the 4096 lets you microstep the
head if you assert J1-16. The 4038 just marks pin 16 as reserved.

I don't know of any other embedded servo st-412 interfaced drive that had that ability.

Al Kossow

Sep 17, 2023, 2:35:24 PM9/17/23
to mfm-d...@googlegroups.com
s/embedded servo/servoed/

Al Kossow

Sep 28, 2023, 5:00:30 PM9/28/23
to mfm-d...@googlegroups.com
I uploaded an article I found from Seagate this morning on ST-412 HP
This came out around the same time as ESDI, so I don't think it ever caught on.
http://bitsavers.org/pdf/segate/ST-412HP_Comp_Design_198404.pdf

nosn...@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2023, 2:25:13 PM9/29/23
to mfm-d...@googlegroups.com
I tried going to the link - 404

David Gesswein

Sep 29, 2023, 2:33:34 PM9/29/23
to mfm-d...@googlegroups.com

Al Kossow

Sep 29, 2023, 2:33:55 PM9/29/23
to mfm-d...@googlegroups.com
On 9/29/23 11:25 AM, nosn...@gmail.com wrote:
> I tried going to the link - 404
typo
http://bitsavers.org/pdf/seagate/ST-412HP_Comp_Design_198404.pdf

David Gesswein

Sep 29, 2023, 3:11:03 PM9/29/23
to mfm-d...@googlegroups.com
Finally some actual details on what recovery does. Looks like 2/10's of a
track is most it pulls the head. May not match what the earlier drives do.
So far I haven't found recovery helps that much with the misalignment seen now.

Anyone ever seen a ST8100 which implmented the higher bit rate MFM interface?