Emulator locks boot on QBus PDP11

hupfadekroua

May 10, 2023, 4:09:20 AM5/10/23
to MFM Discuss
Hello all,

I do have a QBus PDP11 with a RQDX3 controller.

I'm trying to format an empty emulator disk image.

The following problem does arise:

1. Configuration
Seagate ST 225 and Gotek Floppy emulator
XXDP boots from floppy and I'm able to format the Segate drive

2. Configuration
MFM Emulator and Gotek Floppy emulator
Once I executed setup_mfm_emu I'm not able to boot XXDP from the Gotek anymore.
No drive will be recognized.

Are there any settings on the MFM emulator board to be considered?
What does setup_mfm_emu do that no drive will be recognized?

Andreas

David Gesswein

May 10, 2023, 10:28:07 PM5/10/23
to mfm-d...@googlegroups.com
> 2. Configuration
> MFM Emulator and Gotek Floppy emulator
> Once I executed setup_mfm_emu I'm not able to boot XXDP from the Gotek
> anymore.
> No drive will be recognized.
>
> Are there any settings on the MFM emulator board to be considered?
> What does setup_mfm_emu do that no drive will be recognized?

Not sure why it should cause problems with the floppy. Have you started
mfm_emu also or did you just run set_mfm_emu? If you started mfm_emu
what command line arguments did you use? For the Vaxstation I have
with RQDX3 it uses a PCB board with some electroncis between the
controller and drives. How does the 11 interface the drives to the
controller?

hupfadekroua

May 11, 2023, 7:04:08 AM5/11/23
to MFM Discuss
No, just setup_mfm_emu.

Simply just after calling setup_mfm_emu the Floppy (Gotek) or any drive (incl. the mfm emulator) isn't recognized anymore.

The system in question does use a RQDX3 controller with default settings.

As I wrote if a "real" is connected instead of the mfm emulator everything is working fine.

A.

hupfadekroua

May 11, 2023, 7:27:51 AM5/11/23
to MFM Discuss
The disk/emulator as well as the floppy/gotek are conencted to the RQDX3 using the standard BA123 backplane connector.

David Gesswein

May 11, 2023, 12:10:14 PM5/11/23
to mfm-d...@googlegroups.com
Some of the pins can't be set to the proper state until mfm_emu is
running since they are controlled by a PRU. Start mfm_emu after running
setup_emu and then your floppy should work.

hupfadekroua

May 11, 2023, 2:03:19 PM5/11/23
to MFM Discuss
Ok, will give this a try this weekend.