SAFETY PROTOCOLS: One College Example (including PDF's and Canvas File for Import)

Mark Martin

Sep 22, 2020, 7:05:35 PM9/22/20
to Mfg Educators Online Resources
Here's some details from Laney College in Oakland on their safety protocols.

We ran 4 weeks of make-up labs for the Spring semester in June. There were no incidents. For Fall semester, Laney College is running face-to-face lab classes for “essential” career education programs (inc. machine tech) starting Sep. 14 (this Monday). We spent several months working out safety protocols and campus support logistics. Our administration is extremely risk-averse and we had to jump through a lot of hoops to get them to agree to let us run face-to-face classes.

In answer to your specific question, the Laney College vice president of instruction and the CE dean came through and calculated how many people we could safely have in a classroom or shop space at one time. Then they capped the enrollments for our labs at that number. This turned out to be 15 people in the manual machining courses and 10 people for CNC machining courses. In order to handle more students, we are offering an additional lab section. The morning lab section goes from 8am-12pm; the afternoon section goes from 1pm-5pm; and the evening section goes from 6pm-10pm. The lectures are online asynchronous through Canvas. We spent hundreds of hours over the last five months shooting and editing videos of lectures and machining demonstrations.

I have attached some documents which I think you will find useful:

-        Laney College Machine Tech COVID-19 Safety Protocols (students and faculty are responsible for adhering to these; they got an unofficial blessing from someone at Alameda County Public Health Department)

-        Faculty supplement to the Laney College Machine Tech COVID-19 Safety Protocols (specifies a reporting structure and additional responsibilities for faculty)

-        Tier 1 Model for Return to Work (the Peralta District’s official legal justification for running face-to-face classes)

-        An .imscc file (Canvas course export file) which includes the entire COVID-19 safety module (includes background info, quizzes, protocols, videos, student agreement and prescreening survey)

Finally, we made a video covering our safety protocols in the machine tech department. The link is https://youtu.be/CW7W8K_oYSE

Adam Balogh

Instructor, Chair

Machine Technology Department

Laney College

900 Fallon St

Oakland, CA 94607

Office: (510)464-3444

COVID-19 Info and Documentation Module export.imscc
MACH TECH COVID-19 Safety Protocols.pdf
FACULTY SUPPLEMENT_MACH TECH COVID-19 Safety Protocols.pdf
Tier-1-Model-Revised-9092020.pdf