2020-09-25 Webinar Recording (AWS & Netlab Virtual Machine Training Session)

Mark Martin

Sep 25, 2020, 10:48:53 PM9/25/20
to mfg-educators-o...@googlegroups.com
UPDATE ON HOW TO ACCESS SOFTWARE (Autodesk, Adobe, RobotC, PLTW SW) via Virtual Machines

TODAY’S AGENDA

2020-09-25

1

Discussion forum

https://bayareamanufacturingcareers.com/k-16-discussion-forum-online-learning.html

2

Two VIRTUAL MACHINE Setups

- Netlab (Cabrillo College servers)

- AWS (Amazon servers)

3

NETLAB Overview

- How students access software via Netlab

- Process for setting up class

- Pros / cons

1) Teachers request access (see item 2)

2) We'll send you a Netlab login

3) You follow the instructions on the Discussion Forum on how to create a class and add your students.

4) Students receive a username / PW and a URL they go to to login

4

AWS

- How students access software via AWS

    + Via Google

     + Accessing Google drive / ACAD issue

- Process for setting up class (IT Dept) - STARTS at minute 43:10

1) Teachers request access (see item 2)

2) We send your IT dept. directions on how to create access via Google SAML apps

3) You send your IT dept. a list of the students that you want to give access

4) Students login through their school Google account

5

Open Discussion

- RobotCAlternative

- Adobe Creative Cloud virtual machines

- Others?  FEATURECAM

If you're a K-12 or CC teacher, and need help getting students access to manufacturing / engineering software such as CAD (Fusion, Inventor, RevIt, AutoCAD) or Adobe Creative Cloud, read below.

The 9/25/20 Zoom webinar is now available at:
 - This session was a training session on how to use the AWS & Netlab virtual machines. These are 2 different ways of getting access to the Autodesk software (using AWS or Netlab). Currently Adobe Creative Cloud is only available on Netlab (note the training session did not cover Adobe).

  - If you're interested in getting access to the AUTODESK or RobotC virtual machines, go to: Autodesk sign-up.
 - If you're interested in getting access to the ADOBE Creative Cloud virtual machines, go to: Adobe CC sign-up.

NOTE: To get access to Adobe Creative Cloud, each student will need an Adobe login. For information about how students get their students access to Adobe, check out: https://helpx.adobe.com/enterprise/kb/covid-19-k12-schools.html#Provideaccesstostudentsandteachersfaculty

 - USER GUIDES for instructors and for students are BELOW
 - Note: one requirement of using the Netlab virtual machine is that you can NOT have all your students on at once. This is because of capacity issues.  We ask that you give your students a demo and then allow them to logon to the virtual machines at their own leisure. Thanks.

 - If you have any questions, please contact Mark Martin at markm...@peralta.edu

AWS ACCESS
1) Have your IT admin follow the instructions in the attached Word Document ("Autodesk on AWS- Getting HS & CC’s Set-up to Access AWS Virtual Machines through Google account.2020-09-24")
2) Once that is done, students will have access to the virtual machine through their Google sign-in (watch the video to see how this is done)
3) One note, the first time students enter using AWS they will need to connect their Google Drive. This will allow them to save files to their Google Drive. They will need to click on the Folder icon in the upper left, and then Add Google Drive.

NETLAB ACCESS (INSTRUCTOR INFO)

1) New teachers, if you have already NOT set up your class yet, please use:
  -  OpenLab2 site for AUTODESK software:  openlab2.bayict.cabrillo.edu
  -  OpenLab3 site for ADOBE CREATIVE CLOUD software:  openlab3.bayict.cabrillo.edu
 Note OpenLab, OpenLab2, & OpenLab3 are separate systems, so if you change the password on one, it will not change it on the other. We are trying to keep the usernames the same across all three systems. (if you haven't logged on at OpenLab2 or 3 before, password should be "changeme" to start)

  -  If you've already set up your class and added users on the original OpenLab link, you can continue to use it. Unfortunately, one of the limitations of the Netlab setup is that the three "pods" don't share the same database of users, classes, etc.

If you don't have a logon fill out the form here. You'll receive an email once we create your username.

Username: Your first initial last name (all lowercase).  Example “mmartin"
Password: changeme
  (obviously you'll want to change that once you logon)
  (note: if for some reason your username doesn't work, add a 1 at the end - eg “mmartin1”.  This is because that somebody else with that same first initial and last name has already signed up. Unfortunately it doesn't separate user names by school so that might be the case.)

3) Create a class(es). Go to Manage / Manage classes in top menu

PastedGraphic-4.png

 - (Name it whatever the name of your class is - “Intro to Engr”, “CAD”, etc. - )
 - I would suggest use the settings below. We want to limit the students to no more than two hours so that we can let other students get on if there's capacity available at the end of their session they can ask for up to one extension. The minimum time between reservations keep students from signing up for lots of reservation slots. If we start to run out of capacity will have to rethink these settings.
 - Then you’ll want to click on Content and add “Autodesk” to the class.

PastedGraphic-3.png

4) Play Around with the software
 - Now that you've created a class you'll want to check out the software to see how well it works. If you have the same Chromebook your students will be using you might check it out on that to see how it performs.
 - Login, and then choose "New Lab Reservation".
 - If the software looks like it will work for your students you can now start add them to your class

5) Add Students - go to Manage / Manage user accounts
 - Go to the bottom and hit import accounts.  You'll be able to upload a CSV file of all your students information. Choose an initial password for all the students in upper right (I would suggest “changeme”. They will be prompted to change their password when they login.
 - Usernames. Instructors create user names for your students. These are global throughout the entire system which means if there's an "mmartin" somewhere else in the system, you can't have an "mmartin" in your school. So here's a recommendation for student usernames you create - "[schoolname].[firstinitial][lastname]"  ex. "lvhs.mmartin" or "livermore.mmartin"

 - To make this easier for you I created a Google spreadsheet where you can take your students name and it will generate the rest of the information for the upload. Go to the link below and make a copy of it and you'll be able to edit it. Then just download the CSV file and use that.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Eve6EQGV1ycef57AaARLMr6vr64XOzp-Rv0fELeN_Dk/edit?usp=sharing

6) SEND OUT the information to your students. The system will NOT send out usernames automatically so you'll need to email it to them. Here's what you can send to Students:

  - Go to: openlab2.bayict.cabrillo.edu
  - username (case sensitive):  ???
  - password:   changeme
  - Make sure you set your Time Zone to the correct time (Pacific) or else it will make it confusing to schedule.

7) Capacity
Also because of capacity issues we ask that you NOT get all your students onto the virtual machines at the same time. My suggestion is you record a demo of what you want to teach that day or maybe even for the whole week. Students can then get on whenever they want to watch the lecture and start working on the software whenever they want. You can use your regular class time to go over questions or to go into a little more detail. There's a reporting function so you can see what students have logged on, how many hours they've spent on it, and how many sessions they've been on, etc.  So you can see who's not putting in the effort and might need a little motivation. This actually might work better for some students. They can go back and watch the demo again if they miss something and can play around with the software to try to figure it out before asking questions.

Student QUICK START Guide.BACCC NETLAB.docx
Instructor QUICK START Guide. BACCC NETLAB.pdf
AUTODESK : ADOBE on AWS via Google.2020-11-10.docx