Glimpse 3.0.0 and Nvidia driver problem?

fran.m...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2018, 6:17:59 PM6/28/18
to Glimpse
My team uses Glimpse for an application which displays a map of vehicle tracks (including points and lines), and we recently updated to Glimpse 3.0.0 (from 2.4).
We notice now that the Points along our tracks are missing when we employ displays using NVidia graphics on Windows10.  However, the same code works fine with integrated graphics on Win10.
The same software previously worked fine with NVidia using Glimpse 2.4 (still using jogl 2.2.4 and gluegen 2.2.4).
Our application also renders just fine w/ Glimpse 3.0.0 when using Nvidia drivers (v390.48) on Red Hat 6.8 Linux.

Today, I pulled the Glimpse 3.0.0 examples code from GitHub, and sure enough, when I run metsci.glimpse.examples.scatterplot.ScatterplotExample or metsci.glimpse.examples.timeline.HorizontalTimelinePlotExample on my Win10 laptop, these plots are all missing their data (points) whenever my app is rendered on a display utilizing the NVidia graphics driver.  But the same app runs fine on the same laptop when the internal display (and presumably integrated graphics) is used.

I've tested this on several computers with different NVidia driver versions (390.47, 382.53, 385.xx).
Does anyone have any insight into the problem or a workaround or fix?  Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks,
Fran Maurais

Brandon Borkholder

Jun 28, 2018, 7:17:50 PM6/28/18
to metsci-...@googlegroups.com
Try toggling DISABLE_POINT_SPRITE in https://github.com/metsci/glimpse/blob/master/core/src/main/java/com/metsci/glimpse/gl/util/GLUtils.java#L49.  I've seen a related issue with that flag.

fran.m...@gmail.com

Jun 29, 2018, 10:44:55 AM6/29/18
to Glimpse
Thanks Geoff and Brandon!

The "-Dglimpse.disablePointSprite=false" VM argument appears to do the trick for us.

Much appreciated.

Fran