Upgrade dropwizard-metric from 3.x to 4.x

Tsz Wo Sze

Apr 23, 2022, 2:40:01 AM4/23/22
to metrics-user
Hi,

We use dropwizard-metric as a maven dependency in Apache Ratis, which itself is a Java library implementing the Raft protocol.  We would like to understand the compatibility issues on upgrading from dropwizard-metric from 3.x to 4.x in Apache Ratis.  Are the following statements correct?
  1. Applications using both Ratis and dropwizard-metric have to update dropwizard-metric from 3.x to 4.x. As a result, they may need to change their code for the dropwizard-metric 4.x API.
  2. There is no change to the monitoring tools since the dropwizard-metric reports remain compatible between 3.x and 4.x.

Other questions: if we shade dropwizard-metric in Apache Ratis, is it true that applications using Ratis can use any version of dropwizard-metric?  Are there any drawbacks for doing that?

Thank you in advance.  Apologize if this has already been discussed.  Tried to search around but not able to find the answers.

Regards,
Tsz-Wo