Why I'm stepping down as metric_fu lead

Jake Scruggs

Aug 8, 2012, 9:20:00 PM8/8/12
to metr...@googlegroups.com
All explained here:
http://jakescruggs.blogspot.com/2012/08/why-i-abandoned-metricfu.html

If you want to take over, make your case in this group.

danmayer

Aug 10, 2012, 10:10:00 PM8/10/12
to metr...@googlegroups.com
I commented on your blog, but that takes some time for comment approval and this might be a better more public place to say thanks. So here is my comment to share with the group.

Sorry to see you go, I understand maintaining something over a long time especially when your interests move on is hard. To be honest, I also completely understand how HARD metric-fu is to maintain with so many integrations and changing dependancies. Also, your line "now I'm not because I don't need the tools to see the problems anymore" completely resonates with me.

Thanks so much for the awesome project, I hope some in the community will help step up to bring it forward a bit. I will try to support it a bit when I can.

Good luck on all the new projects that intrest you and the awesome things you build in the future.

Dan

Pedro Nascimento

Aug 18, 2012, 4:05:21 AM8/18/12
to metr...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for your hard work! I'm joining this group to get to know if in fact someone else takes over. I've also moved from metrics myself, but mainly because metric_fu helped me spot stuff so easily on a large codebase after spending almost an year using it, I know almost all the metrics by heart and when I want something specific, I just grab one of the tools metric-fu bases itself on and run it against the project I'm working on.

I've taken a look at the code and while I saw some spots that I thought could be improved, I either couldn't or didn't have the time to do it myself, so putting it together was a huge accomplishment from my point of view, and for that I thank you.

1.9 support was broke for all the tools eventually and this was sort of a let down also. It seems 1.9 syntax support has improved a lot on a few gems used, so it is possible to make metric-fu work with 1.9 as well.

One thing I might add is that using it from the metrical gem was a much better experience than integrating metric-fu in the project itself, so that might be a nice start for whoever grabs the project.

Andrew Selder

Nov 20, 2012, 3:23:31 PM11/20/12
to metr...@googlegroups.com
I am in the process of convincing my company to let me take over this project as part of my role there.

I'm a past contributor to this project and a huge advocate of both it and the concept of constant metric feedback on code.

There was already talk of doing something similar to track code quality over time at my company and I proposed taking over metric fu as an alternative.

My initial plans would be:
Stripping out any gems that aren't updated to 1.9 yet and replacing rcov with simplecov, which means flog, flay, simplecov, reek, churn and rails best practices. Hopefully reek gets updated soon, so we don't have dueling versions of ruby_parser which prevent the newer version of flog and flay from co-existing with reek.

Unfortunately it, looks like roodi and Saikuro are abandoned and so out of date I don't think it would be possible to integrate them with a new MetricFu.

Once all is working with the new set of gems, then we can figure out whether there are any new gems out there that want to be added (Cane ?)

I'll let you know as soon as I have the final OK from the company and this offer can can finalized, but I expect that is just a formality which will be done by next week (darn holidays).

So in short, if you are all OK with it, I'd like to take over the stewardship of this project and keep Jake's great work alive.

Thanks,

Andrew Selder

Benjamin Fleischer

Dec 28, 2012, 2:06:36 PM12/28/12
to metr...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, November 20, 2012 2:23:32 PM UTC-6, Andrew Selder wrote:
I am in the process of convincing my company to let me take over this project as part of my role there.

Great.  Jake has just set me up with admin access to the various places it's needed for managing metric_fu.  I have versions of the gem currently on rubygems.org that work better in 1.9.  bf4-metric_fu and bf4-metrical

Yes, there's definitely a need for some reorganizing of the code..   I'm playing with that idea in this branch https://github.com/bf4/metric_fu/tree/restructure/lib/metrics  with the intention on seeing if this can help make it easier to add/remove metrics or to activate different 'versions' of the same metric.  I'm also trying to tease apart the code flow and consolidate the hotspots code (which is a bit of spaghetti).

Once all is working with the new set of gems, then we can figure out whether there are any new gems out there that want to be added (Cane ?)

I'd also be interested in looking at something like brakeman, or laser. or maybe even heckle.

So, right now, I think it's fair to say that my branch github.com/bf4/metric_fu is the canonical one. Jake would like his to be legacy.  Do any of you know if Github will make a free github.com/metric_fu/metric_fu organization for managing the future of the project, so that it's not tied to an individual user's account?

-Benjamin

John D. Hume

Dec 28, 2012, 2:25:45 PM12/28/12
to metr...@googlegroups.com

On Dec 28, 2012 1:06 PM, "Benjamin Fleischer" <bflei...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, right now, I think it's fair to say that my branch github.com/bf4/metric_fu is the canonical one. Jake would like his to be legacy.  Do any of you know if Github will make a free github.com/metric_fu/metric_fu organization for managing the future of the project, so that it's not tied to an individual user's account?

I believe you can do that yourself here:
https://github.com/settings/organizations

Benjamin Fleischer

Dec 28, 2012, 2:48:17 PM12/28/12
to metr...@googlegroups.com

On Dec 28, 2012, at 1:25 PM, "John D. Hume" <duelin....@gmail.com> wrote:

I believe you can do that yourself here:
https://github.com/settings/organizations

Thanks and done.  Now the repos are at https://github.com/metricfu

(although I intend to eventually roll the metrical functionality into metric_fu.. I sort of did here in a very suboptimal way: https://github.com/metricfu/metric_fu/blob/restructure/bin/metric_fu )

-Benjamin