Future support of Metric Fu

Ben Turner

Jul 24, 2012, 9:41:05 PM7/24/12
to metr...@googlegroups.com
Having browsed many of the issues / comments and pull requests on the GitHub repository, I have come to the conclusion that:

(a) Metric_fu has fallen out of "official" support for now
(b) A number of people have small patches / improvements on top of 2.1.1, some private, some in pull requests
(c) A few have spoken up about supporting the official release, but nothing solid has come from it
(all of the above meant as observations only, not criticism !)

My investigations then also led to metrical, but I note this is discontinued too, so didn't go far down that path.

This seems a shame for this useful tool, but equally I might be wrong, so I wanted to post here to see if anyone has a different story on this ? Equally is anyone happy to stand up and say they are in category (c) ?

For now, we are on version 2.0.1, and with a number of upgrade complexities, this appears to be the last "stable" version from our team's view on the world, for now.

Thanks,
Ben

Jake Scruggs

Aug 8, 2012, 6:54:37 PM8/8/12
to metr...@googlegroups.com
It's been over a year since I've done anything on this project -- time to admit that I am no longer a fit leader of MetricFu.

So...

Who wants to maintain MetricFu?

-Jake

danmayer

Aug 10, 2012, 10:07:52 PM8/10/12
to metr...@googlegroups.com
I won't give you no longer fit, because for amazing open software that you wrote and supported for years, you owe us nothing. I just offer my thanks and support for whatever you do next.

I don't have a ton of free time for open source at the moment, but I have a lot more than I did a few months ago. So at least for awhile I will try to support and maintain Metric-Fu a bit. I can at least get all the pull requests in order, do a bit of dependency cleanup. Test on as many Ruby versions as I can and get another stable release out.

Again seriously thanks for everything, Metric-Fu has been really interesting and useful for me a bit over the years, and I always think it is a great way to get a good overview of a new project when I am first learning / spelunking in a new project.

Dan