Churn Site

Dan Mayer

Sep 15, 2013, 12:23:22 PM9/15/13
to metric_fu
Hey metric-fuers,

I wanted to get some feedback on a metric tool I have been working on. It exploring a bit of a different approach for project metrics. The app is a churn app, which tracks project churn over time. It uses the churn gem (same one that helps power metric-fu), to gather data.

Basically I have been thinking a bit about how metric-fu ties so many great metrics together but because of all those responsibilities it gets pretty complicated. In this app I was trying to split out the metric and its tracking / data as a separate service. Thinking that perhaps a SOA (Service Oriented Architecture), to split up metric generation from collecting and reporting on the metric. Perhaps being able to have metric_fu as a metric generator, while users could run metric_fu server to collect (via api or reading from local file system) and report on the data. Anyways, just an idea I am playing around with.

Eventually I want to project to allow churn data to be pushed to the service from wherever churn might have been run. At the moment it has an API that generates the churn data as well so it is easier to get up and running.

Anyways, it is a side project just to explore some ideas and I wanted to get some feedback on the project and if trying to do something similar like collecting metric_fu metrics for tracking and reporting might be interesting to the group.

For an example of the kind of data this can present over time, see the data for the logstash project:

The full app is at http://churn.picoappz.com/, feel free to add a project and give it a spin.

Here is the data for the metric_fu project itself since this group might find it interesting: http://churn.picoappz.com/metricfu/metric_fu

I will be following up with a post and some additional documentation later this week, but you can easily access pretty much all the data via an API.

For instance here is the churn data for the most recent metric_fu commit

The project is built with Sinatra and the source code can be found on github: https://github.com/danmayer/churn-site

peace,

Benjamin Fleischer

Sep 27, 2013, 11:02:38 AM9/27/13